Stereo issue in my new 360..... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Stereo issue in my new 360.....

So, my 2003 360 Spider arrived nearly 2 weeks ago. What a beauty! I am so glad to FINALLY be a proud owner of such an incredible vehicle. I had been reading on here for years, green with envy.....

Battery was dead upon arrival so I removed and re-charged. Then was presented with a prompt for stereo code so called the dealer and got it. All good but......

Whether I'm on FM band or CD, NO sound. Well, if I turn to full volume I can hear a whisper of music. Any idea what the issue might be and how to possibly resolve? I assume it has an amp. Might that need to be reset somehow?

I'd appreciate any tips anyone may have.

Have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend and happy driving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

And tips would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything that needs to be reset once you get past the alarm code? Or might it be a blown amp? Hmmm....
post #3 of 15 Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
I'd try re-seating the connector on the back of the head unit.
Then, I'd go through the menus to ensure a setting hasn't been inadvertantly reset or changed.

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Has a 3rd party bluetooth phone connection set been added? If so, it could be interferring with the volume control.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Do what I did....pull everything out and install a new head unit and amp....hehehe!!!

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you all for your tips. No blue tooth add-ons, all stock. All settings look fine. Couldnt figure out how to get to back of head unit and after crouching down, trying to manuever myself under the dash in the Texas heat, I gave up and came inside for a beer ;-)

My car goes off to the shop on Monday to get my power steering issues resolved. So next weekend, I'll probably swing by the stereo shop here in Houston that does all Ferrari Houston dealer work and see what they have to say. Hopefully it is something minor (fingers crossed).

THANKS AGAIN, YOU GUYS ROCK!

Happy driving....
post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Owner

To remove the head unit, you need the two little Becker keys. They insert at the bottom corners and release the unit from the dash.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, I bit the bullet and had the dealer look at the issue while they were working on another. They said my amp is dead. So I decided not to have them fix it as I am sure their amp is expensive and not up to snuff. I'd prefer to NOT upgrade the OEM head unit at this time but instead just get a new amp. Are there any restrictions with the head unit that cause me to have to go with the OEM amp? If not, what are some good options for an amp. Any watchouts?
Thanks again for your help!
post #9 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Owner

Hard to answer your questions without some more info. Does your car have the optional HiFi amp and subwoofer or just the head unit? If the former, you can probably get by with any amp that will fit in the under dash tray (assuming that's the one that's bad). There are numerous alternatives however. Search the archive and you'll find lot's of posts about Becker and upgrades. If the latter, it probably means the amp in your head unit is bad. In that case, my personal recommendation is to get an OEM replacement from Becker Auto Sound.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

The answer is no, a radio is a radio, an Amp is an Amp. The only thing you need to do it match as close a possible the power output of the amp to the new one. It's like tires on a regular car, as long as the size is the same, a tire is a tire.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #11 of 15 Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks. So I am confused. Do I need to figure out if has amp and subwoofer or do I just need to concentrate on the amp. How do I tell? I think everything is stock.....

If just the amp, I am fine just getting an amp with similar power? Doesn't matter the brand? Hopefully, it is that simple. Is there a thread here that you are aware of that tells me how to access the amp and replace? I am not very technically savvy and new to Ferrari ownership. Thus I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks again and happy driving!
post #12 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Owner

You have an additional amp (factory) and subwoofer if there are two speakers between the seats on the aft firewall. The amp for them is in a small tray right beneith the center console.

If not, you most likely have just the head unit (radio) that has an amp built in. To clarify, all radios contain an amplifier. A radio = tuner + amp. (There are exceptions to this, but not in your case)

There are several aftermarket models that fit the 360, look on Becker Auto Sound's web site. They have pictures of them as well as the idfferent models of OEM that were used in the 360. It is also possible that BAS can repair your head unit, that's a main part of their business.

There are numerous posts on that "other" site that have pictures of the removal process and where the various pieces are located. Do a search for "360" aand "iPod" and you'll find them. You will also find a picture of the keys needed to remove the head unit from the dash.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

If you are not technically savvy, I suggest you have a friend who is, help you figure this out. It's not hard but if you have no clue....it can be challenging trying to figure out stuff when its just wires and colors.

I own a 348 and stripped everything, no factory garbage and now she sounds amazing, but I have been doing this for 22 years for myself and not as a business and have done plenty of friends.

But as Killer said, you have to do some searching for this. The most complicated part is finding how many speakers you have, the wire colors and ensure you plug everything back to where it needs to go. So if your radio is pushing power to your tweeters/mids then leave it. If you have an amp pushing only a sub then plug it that way. But if the amp runs everything, thats a whole other story.

I dont want to scare you but if you are not carefull you can short stuff out and run around in circles thinking its not plugged right but it could be, but fried.

Too bad you're in Houston and not in my city or I would drive over and do it.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #14 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Jim, for troubleshooting your existing problem, I would bring your car here:

Welcome to Custom Car Stereo!

If you decide to go for a new system, I would talk to these guys in addition to Custom:

Reus Systems

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #15 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you very much to all!

Happy driving....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode