Wireless reverse camera (parking) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Wireless reverse camera (parking)

Hi. I live in a congested city. Our apartments are like shoe boxes so you can imagine how tight parking spaces are. From my observation, prancing horse owners in my city constantly scuff their rear bumpers when parking. I would hate to do the same and want to prevent this. We are against the idea of installing parking sensors as the holes in the bumper would depreciate her value, and as they are not original, they are quite un-sightly. We were wondering if any one has good experience with wireless parking/reverse cameras. On Youtube, we see that the camera is installed on the rear licence plate, and power is sourced from the licence plate lights. Any advice on models and comparisons would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Interesting idea, but I'd think integrating the screen for the camera might be a challenge too?

I've occasionally wished my 550 had parking sensors front & rear. Do the aftermarket sensors really look that bad (I've not seen them)? I would think a high quality installation, discreetly integrated with a hidden chime could actually add value to your car rather than the inverse. Guess it depends on the buyer.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 21 Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The first youtube could be rather corny, but gives a good idea of what it does.

YouTube - Roadmaster VR3 Wireless Backup Camera

Amazon.com: PYLE PLCM36 3.5'' Slim TFT LCD Universal Mount Monitor w/ License Plate Mount Rearview Night Vision Backup Camera: Electronics

YouTube - Installing VR3 Wireless Backup Camera

BTW, parking sensors result in holes in the bumper and they are expensive to replace.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

check this out. possibly a solution to all. Ferrari Parking Sensor Parking Dynamics PD1. No holes.

Ferrari Parking Sensor | No Holes | Front & Rear Reverse Parking Sensors
post #5 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
I've fitted quite a few of these to customers cars over the last year. They are very effective, but after a bit of experimenting with an old 360 bumper I found the positioning of the tape/wire that acts as an ariel to be crucial. If you go ahead and fit one,drop me a message and I'll send you a drawing
post #6 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

That would be super! Of all the possible changes, I think this one is a no brainer. Bumpers are expensive to scuff, and certainly don't wish to drill holes in them. So, when I found out a wireless solution, I was super excited. If you have a tried and tested positioning, I would be grateful if you could share. Also, which wireless make (if more than one kind) do you recommend. I only need it for the rear and only parking sensor (no need the cam solution).
post #7 of 21 Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Owner

no problem. I'm back at the workshop on Tuesday (Easter holidays here) so will send it over then
post #8 of 21 Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks. Happy Easter!
post #9 of 21 Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Cyprus- was talking to my mechanic. Apparently they don't like to install this as it is tricky to trial-and-error the positioning. So if you have a drawing that works , I would appreciate your help v much. Thanks
post #10 of 21 Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Owner

Sorry for the delay...it's summer servicing season at the garage at the moment and it's nuts here! Will send it by PM monday. I did the whole trial and error thing by experimenting with an old bumper and the whole thing rigged up on a bench, so i fit them the same every time. Accuracy is to 40mm before impact all the way round the back and a third of the way up the sides, which is sufficient...
post #11 of 21 Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks mate I was patiently waiting... Just took delivery of her last week and taking her out from home... to home (in between some scenic roads of course). But at some stage I will need to park her in different stables so the parking sensors will come in handy. Appreciate your generosity mate
post #12 of 21 Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Cyprus. did you have to drill a hole in the body to get the extension wire through to the reverse light power supply? thks in advance for the drawings.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I bought a rear sensor (the drill-free version) from Parking Dynamics. Brought it to a specialty garage. They told me that they need to remove not only the bumper but also the rear undercover and wheel arches to install it. They need to reinstall everything to test if it works and will charge me a full day's of work. But the problem is that even after all that work, there is no guarantee that this sensor will work especially because it needs to be installed with some distance to metals in the rear. At the end i told them not to do it. There is a chance it won't work and half my horse would be taken a part. Am I over concerned? What would you do? Also is there a simpler solution? Heard on the web that there are sensors installed around a licence plate holder. Any experience? I found a link Parking Sensors
is this any good? any good recommendations?
post #14 of 21 Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Guess what. Didn't really need parking sensors. After a couple of months I got used to the length of the car n got a good handle of approximation. Parks fine n no problems. My advice to newbies is try parking n getting used to before looking at these add on's
post #15 of 21 Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Was looking forward to hearing how well one of these systems was working out for you

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #16 of 21 Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
once had a gallardo owner with a backup camera back into my 328 with me in it! in front of a rather large crowd. true story.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #17 of 21 Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Was looking forward to hearing how well one of these systems was working out for you
I have the license plate wireless systems on many of my cars without factory back up.
They work amazingly well.
The key as pointed out above is not the very simple license pate frame installation, rather the screen mounting.
I have aftermarket stereos in most of these cars, so these units are plug and play into those stereos.
Having the stock Ferrari unit in my 430, poses a challenge, as I cant imagine where to mount a screen, save for the stick to the windshield type bracket.
But putting it up and removing it would be a PITA as I cant imagine leaving it up all the time.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
That's excatly the same problem I am anticipating. Where would the screen go? And how to route the wire to the screen if it's the visor screen?

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve13 View Post
I have the license plate wireless systems on many of my cars without factory back up.
They work amazingly well.
The key as pointed out above is not the very simple license pate frame installation, rather the screen mounting.
I have aftermarket stereos in most of these cars, so these units are plug and play into those stereos.
Having the stock Ferrari unit in my 430, poses a challenge, as I cant imagine where to mount a screen, save for the stick to the windshield type bracket.
But putting it up and removing it would be a PITA as I cant imagine leaving it up all the time.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Here's a pic of an aftermarket stereo with motorised screen in a 575. I understand most of these head units have a separate video input for a backup cam.

Scott Cairncross of La Jolla Audio sent this to me, and I now finally understand how these motorised screens make sense for some installations (where you only have room for a single DIN head unit).
Attached Images

post #20 of 21 Old 10-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Man, that is some nice leather work! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Here's a pic of an aftermarket stereo with motorised screen in a 575. I understand most of these head units have a separate video input for a backup cam.

Scott Cairncross of La Jolla Audio sent this to me, and I now finally understand how these motorised screens make sense for some installations (where you only have room for a single DIN head unit).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode