Pirelli P Zero's - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Pirelli P Zero's

My 360 is in need of new rear rubber. Currently have Pirelli P Zero's on all 4 corners, and as I'm only replacing the rears I'd like to keep things consistent and OEM.

My current rears are Pirelli P Zero 275/40 ZR 18. Having looked up the Pirelli website I can't find any P Zero tyre in that size - and to confuse matters more there are a multiple of different P Zero tyres. I think I am after either the "P Zero" or P Zero Corsa System" (and not the 'Nero' 'Rosso' or 'System' variations)

Can anyone suggest which model of the P Zero I should be putting on (and is it available in a 275/40 ZR 18)?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Barry!

There's a constant evolution on tyres. Go to an expert dealer to get tuned in on the latest and to get adequately shod!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
The Scuderia Ferrari racing team might have a bit of advice (and a few choice words) about Pirelli rubber right now :-)

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"

post #4 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
My 360 is in need of new rear rubber. Currently have Pirelli P Zero's on all 4 corners, and as I'm only replacing the rears I'd like to keep things consistent and OEM.

My current rears are Pirelli P Zero 275/40 ZR 18. Having looked up the Pirelli website I can't find any P Zero tyre in that size - and to confuse matters more there are a multiple of different P Zero tyres. I think I am after either the "P Zero" or P Zero Corsa System" (and not the 'Nero' 'Rosso' or 'System' variations)

Can anyone suggest which model of the P Zero I should be putting on (and is it available in a 275/40 ZR 18)?
If you are not racing or tracking your car, I would not recommend going with Pirelli. Even if you are just changing your rears, which always wear out first, I would change to Bridgestone. Get on the Tirerack.com and put in your Ferrari model. It will show the recommended Bridgestone's. The P Zero Corsa's are very sticky tires, and are meant for racing. You get great grip at the expense of much shorter overall tire life.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
+1 on NO Pirelli

I had P zero's on the car when I bought it and hated them. Car was catching every groove in the road and driving me nuts. Bought some aftermarket wheels with Vredesteins mounted. Loved the tires, great handling, Great grip, and comfortable. Caught some road debris in one of the rears and had to buy 4 new tires. Wanted the Bridgestones but would be stuck waiting a while until they could get the right size for the rear. Settled for Toyo's and hate the tires. Better than the Pirelli's but not by much.

IMHO...Stay away from Pirelli's and Toyo's

Heard good things about the Michelin's but I have no personal experience with them.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
My 360 has Michelins on the rear & Pirellis on the front (like that when I bought the car from the F-Dealer - all the tyres were new). The car drives fine IMO. When I got the car a friend commented on the fact that the fronts & rears were different and that most people he had spoken to had said that all four should be the same. However he found that his drove better with the same mix as mine. Interestingly the car just came back from service and one of the comments was that ideally all four should be the same make.

Personally quite happy with Michelins on the rear & Pirellis on the front. Also I think having the geometry set up properly makes all the difference.

post #7 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post

According to this link the size is available in PZero System : Direzionale & Asimmetrico. Although if you choose by model i.e Ferrari 360, it says tyres unavailable.

PIRELLI

prices -> Tyres for car van or 4x4 - tyres online up to 40% cheaper list 275/40R18 99Y PIRELLI PZERO ASIMMETRICO FERRARI

post #8 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi guys,
Well typically enough I'm just back from the tyre shop and only now read all of the above! In the end I decided to put the Pirelli's on, but will consider a total change of manufacturer next time round when all 4 will be changed together.

Tifosi - you are right - the P Zero System was the correct tyre and is available in the correct size - it's just the Pirelli website has an error when you search under Ferrari 360.

Thanks for all the comments.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #9 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
I used on P zero nero on my car and feels good till now

03 F360 Modena|Rosso Corsa|Daytona Seats|Challenge Stradale Front|Challenge Stradale Sideskirts|Challange Stradale Sidemirrors|Challenge Grill|19x9.5 BBS LM|19x11 BBS LM|P-Zero Nero 235/35-19 & 295/30-19|Timate Ti exhaust system
post #10 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
My 360 has Michelins on the rear & Pirellis on the front (like that when I bought the car from the F-Dealer - all the tyres were new). The car drives fine IMO. When I got the car a friend commented on the fact that the fronts & rears were different and that most people he had spoken to had said that all four should be the same. However he found that his drove better with the same mix as mine. Interestingly the car just came back from service and one of the comments was that ideally all four should be the same make.

Personally quite happy with Michelins on the rear & Pirellis on the front. Also I think having the geometry set up properly makes all the difference.

Yikes ... not so sure how two different tires will stop and act in aggressive / emergency driving let alone wet conditions.

Aren't these tires directional - hopefully someone will chime who knows more.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
I have Pirelli P-Zeros on the TR and switched to Kumhos on my 360.
My experience is that the Pirelli's only last 5k miles at best, but it could be due to the driver

Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

I'm switching to Kumhos on the TR next year.

Great handling, low road noise, good wear, and great value for the price.

Also, best to invest in a wheel alignment.
I was pleasantly surprised how much better the F-cars handle when properly aligned with new tires.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
I was pleasantly surprised how much better the F-cars handle when properly aligned with new tires.
Had exactly the same thought after I got my new rubber and 4 wheel alignment.

post #13 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
There is a big difference in the Pirelli P Zeros, a new tire that was introduced about 2 years ago, the P Zero Rossos, which are an older tire design, but available in many sizes, and the Corsas, which are DOT legal competition tires that grip really well, and wear like erasers.

Make sure you know what you are getting. The new PZeros are probably a bit better than Michelin PS2s, but not as good as the new Supersports. The Corsas are not very good in rain, and neither are the equvalent Michelin Pilot Sports.

Unfortunately for many of us, the newer tires are not available in sizes for our older cars. Given my choice of the older tires, I would take the Michelin PS2s.

Taz
Terry Phillps
post #14 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Yikes ... not so sure how two different tires will stop and act in aggressive / emergency driving let alone wet conditions.

Aren't these tires directional - hopefully someone will chime who knows more.
So far so good. I haven't tracked the car. But when out with the rest of the ScudItalia boys (& occasionally girls) along the highways and byways for some seriously spirited driving, absolutely no worries. Stops great, handles great, never feel concerned that the car is not going to perform. Last time in the rain (pictures) felt great.

The only PITA about wet weather driving is having to clean the engine bay afterwards

post #15 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Ferrari actually fitted some of the V8s with different tires front and rear, even if they were both Pirellis. They used directionals on the front (specific right and left tires) and assymetrics on the rears, which could be used on either side. Not much difference in using two different manufacturers' tires, as long as you play with tire pressures until you get relatively neutral handling or a bit of understeer.

Taz
Terry Phillips
post #16 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
So far so good. I haven't tracked the car. But when out with the rest of the ScudItalia boys (& occasionally girls) along the highways and byways for some seriously spirited driving, absolutely no worries. Stops great, handles great, never feel concerned that the car is not going to perform. Last time in the rain (pictures) felt great.

The only PITA about wet weather driving is having to clean the engine bay afterwards

Whew ... maybe I was reverting back to the old days when this was taboo.

Those engine bays must be hard work as I have witnessed some guys cringing when it rained on some drives.

That's wet and your alive to post
post #17 of 21 Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

That's wet and your alive to post
In the UK, if you only drive when it is dry, you probably would not get out more than a few times each year.
Attached Images

post #18 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Owner

Great shots ... the RIOT X plate - love it!
post #19 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
In the UK, if you only drive when it is dry, you probably would not get out more than a few times each year.
Well Boxer, that's why I don't see me OR my cars moving back to Marble Arch any time soon!
post #20 of 21 Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Well Boxer, that's why I don't see me OR my cars moving back to Marble Arch any time soon!
You do get used to it after a while.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode