Recent F430 Purchase and some questions... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Recent F430 Purchase and some questions...

I am a newb here on the forums so go easy on me initially .

I recently traded in my Gallardo for an 06 F430. Was initially going to go after a 08 or 09... but decided the 06 would treat me well enough until I wanted to jump to a 458. The 430 I purchased has 8100 miles on it, was a Ferrari CPO one owner, has (or had) existing power cube, all mx records were included since day one (only Seattle touched the car), and is immaculate inside and out. Passed a PPI hands down. Not a single rock chip, scratch, etc etc. Compared to some of the others I looked at with even as little as a thousand miles... this one has the least amount of wear. The vehicle came from Ferrari of Seattle.

I have had the car for about two months and have driven it less than 200 miles. It was due for its annual. Off to Wynn in Vegas it goes via truck.

Upon the initial inspection several things are found. First is the exhaust manifold is loose / leaking on #5. Not that big of a deal... fix it. Next up I am told that non Ferrari coolant was added (I think its G10... either way its the blue stuff... and someone added traditional green coolant..or so I am told ). News to me since I have never added any and the only hands it has been in since CPO / PPI has been Ferrari of Seattle, myself, and now Penske Wynn. Because of this I am advised to do a two year fluid change (which according to the paperwork I have isn't due until next year). I should add that the broker pulled it out of a trailer in front of me and delivered the car.

Next issue is there is a small amount of fluid coming from the gearbox. I of course am concerned about this but I know that leaks are common on these cars. I am told the throw out bearing (thrust bearing) is toast and this is the cause of it. In addition it may be severe enough the entire clutch may need replaced. The clutch reading from Seattle was over 70% remaining. Maybe someone can explain to me how a bearing is causing a fluid leak. I know very little about the F1 gearbox... but have never seen a throw out bearing to cause a fluid leak.

I was quoted with labor 10K to 12K to fix these issues. Wynn also says that the powercube is toast because I used a broker for the purchase. Seattle tells me it doesn't matter that I used a broker to bring it into my state.

I am not trying to knock either dealership or the broker that was involved. However somebody is full of it. How does a car go from having a PPI and CPO to 200 miles later have so many issues? I understand that crap happens... but between the exhaust, fluids, and now clutch? WTF over?!?

I am tempted to just suck it up and pay the bill but again... feel like someone is totally full of it. I put my right hand man on a plane tonight to go and visually inspect what they are talking about in Vegas. Someting just seems weird to me.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Welcome to Flife! Congrats on your purchase.

I dont own a 430 but I do you think your getting screwed here. I would go back to FOS and explain the new findings and ask how they missed this on there PPI. I know stuff get's missed on PPI's but 12K is not small items like wear n tear on a seat bolster!!

I believe on the 430 an OBD print out showing info on brakes and clutch wear is available someone on here will proably confirm this. Call FOS and ask for that print out if you dont have it or get Wynn to do it.

Also do they stand by there CPO is there something in writing on this?
Lastly if you start getting the run around with them you'll probably have to call FNA to see what they can do.

Hope this helps in anyway.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Cheer's
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Welcome to Flife! Congrats on your purchase.

I dont own a 430 but I do you think your getting screwed here. I would go back to FOS and explain the new findings and ask how they missed this on there PPI. I know stuff get's missed on PPI's but 12K is not small items like wear n tear on a seat bolster!!

I believe on the 430 an OBD print out showing info on brakes and clutch wear is available someone on here will proably confirm this. Call FOS and ask for that print out if you dont have it or get Wynn to do it.

Also do they stand by there CPO is there something in writing on this?
Lastly if you start getting the run around with them you'll probably have to call FNA to see what they can do.

Hope this helps in anyway.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Cheer's
FOS gave me all the print outs during the PPI. Clutch was in very good condition (70% +/-). I used a broker to bring the car into Nevada even after I flew myself up to Seattle to look at the car. Shame on me. Lesson learned. This is where I am prob getting f'ed.

At this point it is the blame game.

Oh well... its just money. Not like my kids or wife have cancer or anything (thank God knock on wood)... but still ticks me off.

Additional feedback always appreciated.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Do you know of a good independent Ferrari mechanic in Las Vegas?

A second opinion would seem to be in order.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
The Power Cube warranty covers bumper to bumper like the original factory warranty. Any Ferrari dealer will service it. Penske is full of shit! You should take the car else where...How can a Ferrari dealer not honor Ferrari sold extended warranty? It goes with the car.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Sounds messy. Any updates so far?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode