360 Purchase Question - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
360 Purchase Question

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. There is an ad in this forum for a 360 red/tan 2002. I contacted the seller and he is in the UK. Seller stated that he purchased the car in the U.S. with U.S. title. Is this valid or is it a scam? Please help!
Mike0817 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
I don't see the ad you're referring to?? There's a red 2004 listed....
Killer58 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0817 View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. There is an ad in this forum for a 360 red/tan 2002. I contacted the seller and he is in the UK. Seller stated that he purchased the car in the U.S. with U.S. title. Is this valid or is it a scam? Please help!
Economically it would make zero sense to import a 360 from the US to the UK. For the car to stay in the UK, it would need a UK registration.

To then bring the car back to the US could be complicated if it is now on UK plates.
Boxer is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Thank you all for your responses. Seller stated that he purchased the car in the U.S. with U.S. title. The selling price is $56000. If this is the real deal, do you guys know how much it would cost to shipped the car from U.K. to the state? He said that he is willing to split the shipping cost.
Mike0817 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Owner
 
285ferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Coast
Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Move on---Sounds fishy to me...
285ferrari is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
I'm thinking the same thing. There is no way a 2002 with 8xxx miles goes for $56K.
Mike0817 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0817 View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. There is no way a 2002 with 8xxx miles goes for $56K.
Nope. As suggested, keep looking and walk from this one.
Andrew is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Owner
 
Ingenere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Ferrari Life Posts: 104
If you have interest in the car, schedule an inspection at a Ferrari store in the UK. If it checks out, buy it. You may be able to pay the dealer to assist.

Shipping will run around 5K, and then you will owe 2.5% duty when it arrives. The best way to do this would be to fly over and buy it. Then spend a couple of weeks touring Europe with a visit to Maranello mixed in for good measure. It will be an experience that you will remember for life!

Ciao

Dino
TR, F40, Mondialt cab, 308QV, 348 Challenge, CS
Ingenere is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0817 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Seller stated that he purchased the car in the U.S. with U.S. title. The selling price is $56000. If this is the real deal, do you guys know how much it would cost to shipped the car from U.K. to the state? He said that he is willing to split the shipping cost.

Where in the UK is the car located. If it is real, should be easy to get it checked out.

If the car checks out, then suggest you call Dick Merritt at the DOT to make sure there will be no issues bringing it back into the US.
Boxer is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Owner
 
360 Modena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Where in the UK is the car located. If it is real, should be easy to get it checked out.

If the car checks out, then suggest you call Dick Merritt at the DOT to make sure there will be no issues bringing it back into the US.
Is Dick still at DOT? I thought he retired?

Still, sage advice to run the VIN by DOT and ask the question.
360 Modena is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Haven't checked in over a year, but he was still listed on the Directory in 2008.
Boxer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale