360 Battery Location - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
360 Battery Location

The aim of this post is to help newbies find the battery on their car as there will come a time when you have to remove the battery and it really is quite easy.

This morning when I went to start the 360 I had a flat battery or rather there was not enough juice to crank the starter (click, click, click.).

I am a little unfamiliar with the mechanics of the car and so I was not aware of the location of the battery. A search showed that the battery is located in the passenger footwell behind the footplate.

The footplate is held by 4 Allen key screws. Once these are removed the footplate and carpet can be pulled out. There is a further black plate behind retained by 2 Phillips/Star head screws, the battery is located behind this plate.

I removed the battery terminals with a 10mm socket (ratchet & extension required) and connected the charger to the battery insitu making sure the terminals were well out of the way and could not make contact during the charging process. I also ensured the battery chargers connectors did not touch the retaining bracket.

4 hours later I switched off the battery charger having seen the battery was fully charged, disconnected the charging cables and reconnected the battery terminals (+ve first), making sure I had left the sidelights on in order to draw any immediate power spike. The alarm sounder bleeped twice. I refitted the black plate, the carpet and the footplate. Started the car and entered the radio code (factory radio).

Job done.

Note: To remove the battery from its compartment you will need to remove the retaining bracket.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Thanks for sharing. Btw what kind of charger is suitable. Any pix or web links will be great as reference.
post #3 of 56 Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

To charge with the cover off I use a small smart battery charger and connect direct to the terminals.

Sealey

Once the battery was fully charged I then connected a removable compact battery charger/conditioner. This comes with a cable that remains permanently connected to the battery terminals. The cable runs over the top of the footrest and plugs into the charger which sits in the footwell. I just unplug the cable from the charger when I want to use the car and leaving the cable insitu. The power cord of the charger is thin & flat so that you can run it between the bottom of the door and the sill without any problems closing the door and locking the car if you want to

MXS 5.0 - CTEK SWEDEN AB

post #4 of 56 Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 AM
Owner

Thanks. This may be a silly question but isn't it better to just turn off the batttery switch (front bonnet) when one plans to leave it idle for more than a week? What would be the damage to that? This saves all the charging hassle. Am I missing something?
post #5 of 56 Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrancingHorse70 View Post
Thanks. This may be a silly question but isn't it better to just turn off the batttery switch (front bonnet) when one plans to leave it idle for more than a week? What would be the damage to that? This saves all the charging hassle. Am I missing something?
The main advantage of the battery charger/conditioner over the kill switch is that it allows the battery to deliver continuous voltage to the vehicles electrical systems. This allows the systems to retain their memory also most vehicles electrical systems are sensitive to changes in battery voltage and so connecting a charger/conditioner minimises the potential for problems & unnecessary expense.

Once the charger is set up, the hassle is nominal i.e making sure it is plugged in and switched on. You will have more hassle charging the battery everytime it goes flat.

post #6 of 56 Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Owner

thanks tifosi. will give it a try.
post #7 of 56 Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
The main advantage of the battery charger/conditioner over the kill switch is that it allows the battery to deliver continuous voltage to the vehicles electrical systems. This allows the systems to retain their memory also most vehicles electrical systems are sensitive to changes in battery voltage and so connecting a charger/conditioner minimises the potential for problems & unnecessary expense.

Once the charger is set up, the hassle is nominal i.e making sure it is plugged in and switched on. You will have more hassle charging the battery everytime it goes flat.

+1, you will also have far fewer electrical "issues"
post #8 of 56 Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
In my 550 I have a contact installed in the nose to directly plug in the trickle charger. It is a feature that I treasure, it makes life so much easier. Not sure if this would be possible in the 360 to find a place to install it on the exterior but it may be worth to investigate.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 56 Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Owner

In the event of a flat battery, my dealer told me not to charge the battery direct ie underneath the glove compartment but to do so behind the passenger seat.
I have a Black & Decker portable jump starter (Black & Decker Tools. I am wondering where I should connect it to. Is it behind the seats where there appears to be lots of memory circuits (risky?) or underneath the glove compartment. What is the proper way? Any advice would be appreciated.
post #10 of 56 Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
In the event of a flat battery, my dealer told me not to charge the battery direct ie underneath the glove compartment but to do so behind the passenger seat.
I have a Black & Decker portable jump starter (Black & Decker Tools. I am wondering where I should connect it to. Is it behind the seats where there appears to be lots of memory circuits (risky?) or underneath the glove compartment. What is the proper way? Any advice would be appreciated.
I always connect the battery conditioners directly to the battery.
post #11 of 56 Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Owner

What would you say is a better battery conditioner b/n the Ferrari factory one and CTEK?
post #12 of 56 Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
What would you say is a better battery conditioner b/n the Ferrari factory one and CTEK?
I use and have used for several years, the CTEK chargers. I never had a single issue with them.
post #13 of 56 Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Note that a portable jump starter is different to a battery charger or battery conditioner. If you need to charge the battery disconnect it first. Some chargers allow you to charge a battery while it is still connected, however make sure your charger is suitable in this respect. If in doubt - disconnect the battery and then connect the charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I always connect the battery conditioners directly to the battery.
+1.

My car has been sitting for 2 weeks, yesterday I fired it up and it started first time no problem.

post #14 of 56 Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Owner

Which model of CTEK conditioner would you recommend? Thanks.
post #15 of 56 Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Which model of CTEK conditioner would you recommend? Thanks.
Depends on the size of your battery (in AH). MXS 5.0 (MXS 4003) should be fine.

CTEK starts 2011 with the launch of a new generation of chargers

post #16 of 56 Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Depends on the size of your battery (in AH). MXS 5.0 (MXS 4003) should be fine.

CTEK starts 2011 with the launch of a new generation of chargers

+1. on the reco.
post #17 of 56 Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Owner

Thanks. Mine is the standard Ferrari battery. Will check the link out.
post #18 of 56 Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Owner

Going away for about a month. I plan to turn off the battery thru the kill switch in the bonnet. Question is what procedure do I need to follow/ pay attention when I re-start her upon my return? Do I need to bring her back to the service centre to re-program any electronic memories?
post #19 of 56 Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Going away for about a month. I plan to turn off the battery thru the kill switch in the bonnet. Question is what procedure do I need to follow/ pay attention when I re-start her upon my return? Do I need to bring her back to the service centre to re-program any electronic memories?
Instructions on rebooting after using the battery kill switch are in the owners manual. For the 550/360 it is basically, turn the battery back on, turn the ignition key to 2, wait for a minute, then start the engine. Let it idle for 5-10 minutes on level ground then you can drive off.
post #20 of 56 Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Owner

Thanks Boxer. Manual also says not to use parking brakes. And to bring tyre pressure to 3 bars when left idle for long. Question for you is if I should also turn on all the lights, hazard lights to smooth out any surges of energy when I restart the engine ( if that makes any sense at all). thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode