F430 Smog Check -- ABS, CST and BRAKE lights - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
F430 Smog Check -- ABS, CST and BRAKE lights

Hey guys... I've asked on a couple Ferrari boards trying to get some answers and it's killing me. Anyone know what's going on here?

I got my new F430 smog checked last week and driving it home the CST and ABS lights were illuminated, which I was sort of expecting due to the dyno. After a couple miles they went away and the "Suspension Error" light was still on the main display.

However, I drove it again today (first time since last week) and the CST and ABS lights are back on, along with the BRAKE light. I'm *assuming* that this is just due to the smog check and I drove it around a bit and I obviously still have brakes, but needless to say I'm pretty worried given the dire warnings in the manual about the CST ABS BRAKE combination.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Running modern traction control cars on dyno's without disengaging the systems causes a lot of issues. Most people aren't aware of how to disengage the systems properly and create issues.

Generally the lights all clear out during the first drive when the car sees the information it wants to. Since your's is still being erratic I suggest bringing the car in so the "faults" can be manually cleared with the SD3. It's better to cover your bases and be sure they didn't actually cause an issue within one of the systems.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
I don't think it has anything to do with the dyno. They aren't doing HP pulls, just controlled running and sniffing.

I've been away for a while, but my gut says a faulty brake light switch. You'd be surprised (well, more disappointed) how many problems that little piece of shit causes...

You still need to get the codes to make sure.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The variance in wheel speeds are enough to upset the TCS, not just load.

If that were the case though the faults would clear out after normal driving.

The brake light switch is tied into all of the drive train and active suspension computers via CAN BUS which means when it fails it disrupts communications between the modules.
The cool part is this is why the car is so intelligent and the driving experience is so stable whether accelerating, braking or turning.

The electrical systems in CAN BUS cars are no longer separate systems operating on their own, they're now grouped together and any fault directly affects the entire chain.

The brake light switch is no longer a simple 2 wire switch either. Without proper diagrams and test equipment you won't be able to test the switch yourself. The only resolve is to bring the car in and have your shop interrogate the issue.

post #5 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

This is a great help, guys, thanks a bunch! I knew I could count on this board

I'll update when I find out what the problem was (in case anyone else ever experiences it). I'm taking it in to the shop tomorrow, so we'll see...
post #6 of 10 Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I would open the front hood, cycle the battery switch, then start and let the car idle w/nothing on for about 5 minutes for the ECU to relearn the car.

Try it then.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Just to update...

Took it to my local shop (Independent Ferrari expert) and he hasn't been able to clear it from the computer. Even disconnected/reconnected the battery and no luck yet. Still trying to figure out what the problem is, as the car is "stuck" in "Rough Road" mode.

Doesn't think it's anything mechanical and it seems almost 100% that the smog check caused it, so... crossing my fingers it's nothing too serious. My guy isn't super concerned, so that's a plus...
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
as a side note, when the emissions guys around here see a ferrari they usually give a waiver. no dyno. probably a good idea.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
as a side note, when the emissions guys around here see a ferrari they usually give a waiver. no dyno. probably a good idea.
Yeah, lesson learned!

Needless to say I'm pretty annoyed by this whole thing...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 05:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Your Ferrari "expert" needs a SD3 or you won't get this addressed properly.

It's not a Honda. Disconnecting the battery does not do the same things to the car. In fact, if you don't repower and let everything learn properly you might cause yourself more issues.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode