First Ferrari F430... Why is it that?... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
First Ferrari F430... Why is it that?...

some used F430s are going for $130k... and others are going for $200k+?

I'm doing my research to buy my first Ferarri (F430) and all things same (e.g. F1 vs. 6 speed, model year, miles driven, non Scud model, etc.)... I see some going for $130k +/- and others going for $200k. I cannot discern the difference (even after running carfax reports...). What should I be looking for here?

-coffeeis4closers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
this is difficult to answer you, when there are no specific examples. IF you could post the two in question, then perhaps, but guessing at this point.

Could include anything from 'fire sale' in this economy to ?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
this is difficult to answer you, when there are no specific examples. IF you could post the two in question, then perhaps, but guessing at this point.

Could include anything from 'fire sale' in this economy to ?
+1. Nevertheless, pricings reflect certain aspects, such as popular colors, options, conditions (not necessarily quoted mileage), and other variables. It simply reflects that there are a whole bunch to choose from, which may indicate something else about the market ??? Good luck with your search. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 9 Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
I'm with Rik on this: Post what you think you are looking for ie: 2006 430 coupe with any must have options: Remember Ferrari's, more then most other cars, are highly effected by mileage so its not uncommon to see cars that have lower mileages higher in value then their younger equivalents - That difference in miles might not be that much BTW (5k miles) but in the world of Ferrari it can really effect the price (At least in the US) -Welcome to Ferrari's!!

Dermot

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #5 of 9 Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

F430 Comparo...

Thanks Guys. OK - admitedly when I went on to Auto Trader and eBay tonight - I couldn't find radical swings of more than $40k between nearly identical F430 (coupe or spyder) vehicles. OK - so this is not the $70k+ difference in my original post, but I am 100% positive I have seen $70 swings in nearly identical cars between eBay, Robb Report, and AutoTrader.

As for what I am looking for - I am still open to persuasion... how can I go wrong with an F430? I have read all of the threads on this forum regadring F1 vs. 6 speed... and actually studied the design on the Ferrari F1 transmission and clutch... and I honestly could go either way. (I probably have an ill-conceived over confidence (arrogance?) that leads me to believe that I will be able to learn to drive the F1 appropriately and to ensure maximum clutch longevity.) As for coupe vs. spyder - I like both and probably prefer the coupe from a pure sports car perspective - I have several other convertibles. Colors - Black? Red? Definelty want the shields. Also I think that I like the daytona seats. But again - I'm open to advice/suggestions. I am here to learn and appreciate Ferraris and the people who own, drive, and race them... and hopefully ultimately join you in ownership someday soon.

I am just a small time classic car collector/automobile appreciationist (a few 50s and 60s Vettes, old Flathead Fords, etc.) with appreciation for modern models (daily driver is Mercedes S55 AMG, also have a Volvo XC90 for the fmaily, and just sold the BMW M3) but this will be my first exotic. Looking for advice from you who are more experienced on the forum. Just trying to detemrine if there someting I should look for when I see nealry idenitcal cars with drastic price differences. As it pertains to the cars I am familiar with - VIN #, heritage/history/pedigree is usually the reason for price difference. But this makes no sense to me with a "newer" production car like the F430. Why the difference in value/price?

Thanks,
coffeeis4closers
post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

One more thing...

I intend to DRIVE this car. Probably at least 5k-7k a year. My intention is to keep it for as long as I am on the planet... and mostly service it myself. (Yes - I am in for a learning experience here, but that's why I'm on the planet!) Many of you have mentioned that Ferraris are unique in that their value drops significanlty as the miles start to add up. Should I truly be concerned about buying a 4 year old car with 15k miles? 20k miles? What concerns are there for a car with 20k miles vs. 5k miles? 20k miles seems like not alot to me... I have bought several modern era used cars (Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, C5/6 Vettes) with more miles than this - with great results....

-coffeeis4closers

Last edited by coffeeis4closers; 05-25-2010 at 10:14 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeis4closers View Post
I intend to DRIVE this car. Probably at least 5k-7k a year. My intention is to keep it for as long as I am on the planet... and mostly service it myself. (Yes - I am in for a learning experience here, but that's why I'm on the planet!) Many of you have mentioned that Ferraris are unique in that their value drops significanlty as the miles start to add up. Should I truly be concerned about buying a 4 year old car with 15k miles? 20k miles? What concerns are there for a car with 20k miles vs. 5k miles? 20k miles seems like not alot to me... I have bought several modern era used cars (Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, C5/6 Vettes) with more miles than this - with great results....

-coffeeis4closers
I think there are a number of factors here. Some people really want or need to move their cars, so they price theirs lower. Others are in no hurry to sell, perhaps have more than one Ferrari and won't sell unless they get "their" price. In this market, they might just keep waiting.

No doubt there are also more desirable color and trim combinations than others. F430s are very expensive cars to buy new, and those with such means can option these cars the way they want. While some people take the "safe" route with a classic red/tan color combo, etc., some decide to express their individual taste and choose combinations that not everyone else might appreciate. These cars might well be priced at the extreme low or high ends (low for those needing/wanting to move their "odd" cars; high for those who can hold out for the right buyer who has the same tastes and wants exclusivity).

I suggest making any offer you feel comfortable with, regardless of the asking price, as you don't know until you try that what category the seller is in. It's possible they are asking crazy prices but really will take a lot less, especially if the car has been sitting and they need to move it. Dealers have the least flexibility on price. They need to stay in business so they try very hard not to get upside down. If they paid or allowed $X in trade to a customer for another car, it's relatively rare they will go much lower than $X, unless they have financing problems.

Finally, since you intend to drive the car rather than collect it, a car that passes PPI with flying colors but lacks service documentation might still be a decent buy, but the price should reflect the fact that it will be harder to pass along the car to the next buyer without the records.

Reasonable miles IMHO are better than ultra low miles, unless the car is new enough still to be under warranty. An ultra low miles car that is out of warranty may not be sorted out for factory defects. For some reason, Ferraris with more than 10k miles are regarded as "high" mile cars, but if you intend to drive it, it won't matter, and it's likely a better buy. I think that people had been afraid to put more than 10k miles on their cars, figuring that would destroy their resale value. That might have been a decent strategy in a time when such cars managed to hold their value, but that's not true in the present economy. They depreciate regardless of whether you cross that magic 10k line, so in my view, you ought to take advantage of the fact that so many people did not put many miles on their cars, and buy one - but at your price.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Spring is here. Spiders grab a bigger $ share towards warmer weather.

Also, some cars may need some maintenance.

Some owners may need to bail out.

Some cars have a lot more CF accessories, etc. that raise the price.

Price should not be your only concern.

Identify a few possible cars and then look closer.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
both need4speed and GCalo have it correct.

There are so many factors that even color combinations [especially in Ferrari and Lambo] make a swing difference.

Ebay tends to not be the mechanism by with that car is actually sold, but rather a means to advertise someone into a 'shop'. Not always true, but sometimes. I've bought and sold cars on ebay and so it works for me either way.

Price is not the issue: it is how well that car is performing and will stay that way. These are no Flat-head Ford or Vet. But you'll love them very much.

as for the F1 vs stick, we are sometimes more practical knowing what we know about Ferrari's 'solutions' and/or their problems over time: I drive mine as many here, on a regular basis. I personally find the F1 a hassle. Would I like one..well if money were not the object I would stable one, but not as a daily driver ... but that is me. The 360 has been known to shutdown completely engine and all for a long time when turning onto a slight grade as low gear ... go figure. Paral. pkng is a hassle, but for some a challenge. Up grades might be fun for some, and a lesson in clutch replacement for others....
there are many issues, which I haven't the time for...I need so many vehicles to get me to-fro that they need to work...

anyway. The swing is
a. hopeful
b. lure: think salesperson throwing bait
c. honest, in the fire-sale economy or true need of some individual [but would I want to buy from someone I don't know and prob. didn't take care of his car ]
d. x-factor.

there are no bargains in Ferrari but there are sometimes a nice find from a well kept model....

I'd say, a swing of $70K has huge factors as mentioned above...it's best to either visit the car, have someone that is trusted see the car or such...and get a PPI.

not much more than these basics will state what that car is.

sorry for the lack of specifics, but based on generalities, I truly can offer not much more.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode