Researching 360, possible future purchase - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Researching 360, possible future purchase

I'm in the research phase right now trying to see if a 360 would be affordable. According to the advertised prices I want to say no but after doing a bit of asking around and such I am finding a few lucky buyers of well taken care of 360's for the $70K range. $70Kish works for me but $100K and I am out. Looking to pull the trigger when I find the right car. if it was this week I may not be ready but hopefully it happens within 2 years. Ideally....red/tan 6sp manual, no issues, recent service,etc.

Is it possible???

--JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
I'm in the research phase right now trying to see if a 360 would be affordable. According to the advertised prices I want to say no but after doing a bit of asking around and such I am finding a few lucky buyers of well taken care of 360's for the $70K range. $70Kish works for me but $100K and I am out. Looking to pull the trigger when I find the right car. if it was this week I may not be ready but hopefully it happens within 2 years. Ideally....red/tan 6sp manual, no issues, recent service,etc.

Is it possible???

--JK
Possible yes, recommended probably not. If you are worried about price now you must take into account maintenance and repair bills because they will happen regardless. As the saying goes most people can afford a Ferrari but most people can't afford keeping a Ferrari.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #3 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

I can afford the upkeep but do not see overpaying in the beginning to acquire the car.

--John

post #4 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Difficult

Quote:
I can afford the upkeep but do not see overpaying in the beginning to acquire the car.

--John

It is difficult to understand completely how to answer you.

As Night says, Buying the car isn't the problem, it's keeping it then getting 'rid' of it.

Having said that is why some cars seem like bargains in low, initial price, but then it starts, as the previous owner may not have done the upkeep/maintenance, leaving that to the next owner which, actually, brings the car into correct balance on the 'initial' price: There are NO BARGAINS in Exotics.

Rare is the 'barn find' or the liquidation sale, though, honestly, there ARE more and more these days. BUT, if sold at a bargain, one would honestly realize the owner did NOT do anymore maintenance or they would be able to keep it.

That $70K 360 is nuts IMO. That is way too low. Something is amiss, and a proper inspection would let you know what 'might' and I mean might, be on the way.

IF you can get someone to PPI it. Go to a good dealer. Or buy the car you can afford and still want. You'll be pleasantly happy you made the right choice up front. EVEN the best choiced vehicle can be a problem: Ask me how I know ... I've got stories

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Quick search shows just one car with my color combo and 6sp.

I'm still doing my homework and exchanging PM's with a few 360 owners to get an idea of upkeep. A general google search is useless as it seems that no one can afford to upkeep these cars. Talking to a few owners so far the annual upkeep is expected, fluid changes, oil changes, and the belt/clutch service need to be planned as well. Aside from the catastrophic rare issue (can happen on any car) the 360 seems to be pretty bulletproof, especially if driven and maintained. I would not track the car nor would it be a garage queen. I would estimate my usage to me 2K miles on the low side and a high of 7K on the very high annually. I can easily do brake jobs and oil changes. Doubt I would be up for belts or clutch job!

Here is the car car I found so far. Not looking to make a quick purchase. If it takes me 12 months to find the perfect car at the right price I am OK with the timeframe.

http://www.ferrarine.com/VehicleDeta...l=&pricerange=
post #6 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
well the 6 spd is by far the best choice. Looks very good that link, and from FoNE is not bad IIRC. Gregcallo, gcallo here is one of the better guys on 360 that I KNOW personally. PM him, GCALLO. The one at 84K looks the better buy IMO. Ask when the last service was actually done, NOT MILEs, but date. and BY WHOM.

I believe you are correct on that one's maintenance side. hard to believe they are going well below $100k these days: My how time flies. It seems just yesterday not five years ago couldn't get a 355 for less than $100k+, and the 360 is a better easier car to maintain even if 5-valved cylinders.

Take your time, let this thread mature a bit...never be in a rush, but, honestly that doens't from what I see to be a bad choice at all.....even if 'resale red'

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

I am use to costly upkeep as I just sold my boat which i had for 10+ years. $5K slip fees, $300 oil changes, $150 impellers (x2 engines) the unexpected $1000 fuel pump replace, generator issues as well, etc. I think the Fcar maintenance will be reasonable unless something major goes wrong which can happen at anytime on any boat/car even house.

I'm in no rush. I hope it doesn't take 2 years to find the right car but would not feel comfortable buying a car in a month as I feel I would be rushing into things.

John
post #8 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
John, Where from Chadds Ford are you? I grew up there - a good five minutes outside of Kennett Square.

Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of advice to offer that hasn't already been said. One thing you should consider when reasoning your boat maintenance costs is how much use you got out of your boat compared to your potential Ferrari. Considering how short the boating season lasts up here at the Chesapeake, I wouldn't find it unreasonable to assume you'd get a lot more use out of the latter. As for the actual cost of ownership, it's something that others here would be much better able to advise you on, but if it were me, I would still try to keep a healthy respect for the fact that it can get staggeringly high.

Anyhoo, welcome!

Last edited by AlexbroPA; 01-31-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: formatting
post #9 of 17 Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Just moved here in June all the way from West Chester. There is a new Toll Bros. development at Rt202 and Rt 1 and so far it has been a great move. Lots of kids around for my two boys to play with. Ah the boat, had it for 10+ years and completely redid the boat. 1974 31 Bertram transferred into a modern boat with diesels, generator, ac, refrig, etc. Built it to fish in the canyons but brought it up to the C&D Canal and cruised the upper bay and spent a lot of time at the Chesapeake Inn. Anyway, the Fcar is a strong possibility and after the local C&C's I will see if it really would work. Wouldn't be a garage queen but certainly not a DD.

--JK
post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Just put a deposit on a 2000 360 yesterday. red/tan, 6sp manual 8500 miles, pretty basic, cd changer and power seats with red calipers. I'm psyched!!

http://www.scottsdaleferrari.com/det...a-5166077.html

John
post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 93
Quote:
Just put a deposit on a 2000 360 yesterday. red/tan, 6sp manual 8500 miles, pretty basic, cd changer and power seats with red calipers. I'm psyched!!

John
Looks very nice!
post #12 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Wow, Nice car! I too am in the search and learn mode! I hope I can find something like that when the time comes.

If you don't mind me asking was it still in the 70K price range?

I'm so jealous!!

MJ
post #13 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
looks nice. make sure you get an INDEPENDENT PPI. Most valuable investment you will make in this car.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #14 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:

John
Congrats. +1 on teh independant PPI. Make sure they check the ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, age of the tires, etc. Car is now ten years old, many of the rubber/perishables will be nearing replacement age.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Repainted the front bumper and removed 3 small dings on the door, just came out of major service, negotiated price of $78,500.

--JK
post #16 of 17 Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Repainted the front bumper and removed 3 small dings on the door, just came out of major service, negotiated price of $78,500.

--JK
Did they give you a copy of the pre-service check?
post #17 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Quote:

--JK
Welcome, welcome, welcome! I'd say, "Ya done good!"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode