360 Modena questions from a newbie - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
360 Modena questions from a newbie

Greetings fellow Ferrari friends, I am new to this site and new to Ferrari ownership. One year ago the 16th of January I accomplished my long-time dream of giving a Ferrari 360 Modena a home in my garage. In the past year I've truly enjoyed every single mile I've spent behind the steering wheel and I ended up driving it almost 1,200 miles in one year.

Well the only way a mere mortal like me would be able to afford to put a Ferrari in his garage was to buy a 360 with somewhat high miles (28k). I am now getting very close to the 30k mark so I am doing my research for any advice / recommendation on the 30k service. Ferrari of San Francisco & Ferrari of Silicon Valley (the two dealerships with service departments near me) want close to $6k for the service .

Are any of you out there from the SF Bay Area / South Bay that can recommend a small shop that can do the 30k service on a 360 Modena for less than the $6k the dealerships are asking? Now I was fully aware going into the Ferrari ownership realm that these machines tend to be expensive to maintain, but there has to be other options than the dealerships, right? Although if the dealership route is what most of you will recommend for a 30k service, then I guess I'll just go down that road....

However, if there are some good recommendations from you guys & gals out there on a small shop that can work on newer Ferrari models, I would like the peace of mind to know the techs there are certified Ferrari mechanics (especially for the newer models like the 360) and the shop is trust worthy (none of that shady "we found more problems that need to be fixed" scam stuff).

Sorry to make this thread so long, but I am happy and proud to be among the very few % of people in the world that can say he has a Ferrari in the garage. Thanks for reading.

norcalsf360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
My first question is---When was it last serviced? Last major done? Just cause you hit 30K doesn't really mean it needs the service if it has been done recently.... Usually by the time a normal Ferrari hits 30K, the major service has been done numerous times because of time frame and not miles
post #3 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
The 30K service is mostly a guide.

If the vehicle has been serviced regularly it may not need a full "30K" service.

What matters is regular fluid changes- oils every year min, brake, clutch, P/S, anti-freeze usually every 2 years.

The 30 K is a pretty complete service w/timing belts, tensioner bearings, drive belts, cam seals, plugs, water pump, etc. However, many times all of this may not be necessary.

So if you have good records see what has been done and what really needs to be done.

Where are you in Nor Cal?

post #4 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

285ferrari & Gcalo, thank you both very much for your replies. According to the records I have from the previous owner, it was last serviced at 15k in 2005, which also included a clutch service as well. Perhaps (or hopefully) I don't need a full 30k at this time, so I very much like the suggestion / advice of making sure all fluids are up to date....I think I'll just take into the dealership for an oil change and request they check over all of the other fluids....that shouldn't be too painful on the wallet.

Speaking of fluids.....I hate to sound totally useless and dumb, but how can I check my motor oil level? I have no clue if there is even a dipstick in this beautiful mid engine

Now for a different question, when I purchased my car I checked the carfax report and on it showed info that the car had a history of not passing smog...should I be concerned when my smog is due in 2011? Are 360s hard to pass smog or this is something to expect with Ferrari cars?

One more question, not mechanical but rather cosmetic....I purchased some after market Scuderia shields (Yoshi's) which actually look very nice and very close to the real thing, but I've decided to simply go original and take them off....any advice on how to remove these after market shields without causing any damage to my paint?

Gcalo, I am in SF.

Thanks guys.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Owner

As to smog, the car should be driven for 15-20 minutes prior to getting a smog test. There was also a recall on the OBD2 port to add a ground wire. That was affecting the smog tests. 360's generally have no prob passing smog unless there is a problem, but the engine has to be warm.

Oil check- engine to full temp, on level ground, engine running, remove oil filler cap, clean post, reinsert and set on top of threads. Pull out and check.

Have no way to advise removing the aftermarket shields. OEM shields are depressed into fenders. So bear in mind that there are different fenders for the shields! Why not leave on what you have?

Fluid changes are going to cost you about $1,200.00+. So be prepared. Most oil changes are $400+/-!

You would be best to find an independent. There is a good shop in San Rafael but I can't remember who. Maybe someone here knows.

Unfortunately these are not inexpensive vehicles. A 30K can be as much as $7K-$9K depending on what is needed (water pump, new timing tensioners, etc).

So be prepared!
post #6 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Gcalo, thanks my friend.

So the dipstick (if you can call it that) is attached to the filler cap...I never would have thought of that, thanks . Well the $1,200+ range does not sound as painful as the full 30k will run me....I've already started saving my pennies for that, I have a jar next to my car in the garage to remind me to put some cash in there every chance I get.

I am very glad you brought up the recall issue because when I spoke with Gino Potter of SF Ferrari, he told me that my car needed to have a recall service done and that it would be taken care of when I brought it for service....but he did not tell me what that recall was . Looks like based on this I'll go ahead and take it to SF Ferrari and have them do the fluid service & the recall service as well.

In regards to the Scuderia Shields......I placed them at the wrong distance from where the real shields are placed I placed them too close to the door crevice I should have done more research before putting them on, but I was an idiot .

Ciao.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Owner

The only recall I know of is the OBD2 port upgrade. So, they will do it.

I would check with Yoshi about shield removal. You could damage your paint. Might be best to leave alone for now.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Has any work been done on the car inbetween 2005 and 2010?
post #9 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for your interest Boxer,

I am afraid that beyond 2005 there is no history of work done to the car, the only info I found was in the carfax database which indicates that in 2007 if failed the California emissions test...that is all there is after 2005 . The car actually runs really nice, no strange noises, the F1 tranny is smooth and gears engage quickly, the alignment is straight and the Tubi system exhaust makes the engine sound like a V12. I just hope the last owner, who put 13,500 miles on it, did not drive it like an ass or track it .

Ciao.
post #10 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Congrats and welcome to FL, norcal360. I cannot comment much on 360, but there's enough help here for you, I'm sure. Sounds like your car is running fine. It'll take few months before things settle out and minor problems arise. However, seems like you have put in good mileage and the car is fine, ...sounds good to me. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsf360 View Post
Gcalo, thanks my friend.

So the dipstick (if you can call it that) is attached to the filler cap...
Ciao.
I luckily also own a 360.

A word of caution, do NOT overfill the oil. Better to err of the side of caution. Most 360 owners overfill the oil. You'll know you did if you see white smoke opouring out the exhaust

I think I paid <$800 for oil and and all fluid and filter changes last year on the 360 from an independent shop w/certified/trained technicians.

Good-luck my friend.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Jimmy Chen for the welcome note, I like this site and I wish I've known about it a year ago when I first purchased my car.

360 Modena, thanks for your reply and for the information about the oil filler level. By the way, if I am low and I do want to add a little oil before taking it in for an oil change service....what oil brand / weight should I use? This may sound very rookie and dumb, but is there some special brand Ferrari only oil?

I gotta tell you guys & gals, I've been a Corvette man 20 years and I still have one (a 2003 C5), but there is just something special about Ferrari cars.....I can't even find the words to describe it.......thanks everybody for your advice and suggestions......trust me, as a newbie to the site and to the whole Ferrari ownership thing, I will have many many many more questions for you all. Ciao.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
360 service

Quote:
Thanks Jimmy Chen for the welcome note, I like this site and I wish I've known about it a year ago when I first purchased my car.

360 Modena, thanks for your reply and for the information about the oil filler level. By the way, if I am low and I do want to add a little oil before taking it in for an oil change service....what oil brand / weight should I use? This may sound very rookie and dumb, but is there some special brand Ferrari only oil?

I gotta tell you guys & gals, I've been a Corvette man 20 years and I still have one (a 2003 C5), but there is just something special about Ferrari cars.....I can't even find the words to describe it.......thanks everybody for your advice and suggestions......trust me, as a newbie to the site and to the whole Ferrari ownership thing, I will have many many many more questions for you all. Ciao.
If your 360 is an F1, as I believe it is, you are due for a clutch change if it hasn't been done. More likely it was already changed once, and if it needs replaced, that adds a pretty penny to the service. I'm thinking, at 15,000 miles and five years since last documented major, you may be due. Sorry, but $$$$. Good time to swallow hard and do the clutch too.

Best Ferrari oil is MOTUL 15W50 Technosynthese.

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.

Last edited by bst1; 01-04-2010 at 07:08 PM.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Owner

If you are low on oil leave it alone.

take it in and have the fluids changed.

Don't screw with it until you have more experience.

If you find a good independent he'll tell you what the correct fluids are cause he will use oils very different from a Ferrari service depot who is loyal only to Shell (ugh)!
post #15 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Gcalo & bst1, thanks to both of you for your advice and suggestions, I truly appreciate the information....even when the information is something painful to hear......but lucky for me, I just checked the service records (the few there are) and at 15k miles the clutch was changed.....

I don't know if I should be happy it has been done or if I should be worried it had to be changed at 15k.....I always like to think the glass is half-full so I chose to be happy and I hope (or rather say, PRAY) this clutch will last me a few years. I tend to be a very smooth and easy going driver, the clutch on my Vette is going on 70k miles and it still works flawlessly.

I will check the oil level and if it is low I will schedule my oil change service asap and have a trained tech take care of it.......after all peace of mind is worth $$$$.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Thanks for your interest Boxer,

I am afraid that beyond 2005 there is no history of work done to the car, the only info I found was in the carfax database which indicates that in 2007 if failed the California emissions test...that is all there is after 2005 . The car actually runs really nice, no strange noises, the F1 tranny is smooth and gears engage quickly, the alignment is straight and the Tubi system exhaust makes the engine sound like a V12. I just hope the last owner, who put 13,500 miles on it, did not drive it like an ass or track it .

Ciao.
You definietey need all the fluids changed. Also have the ball joints and the engine mounts checked. The mounts degrade over time and need to be replaced.

Have you checked the dates on the tires? If they are the orignally they will need replacing just based on age.
post #17 of 37 Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 AM
Owner

F1 Clutch

Quote:
Gcalo & bst1, thanks to both of you for your advice and suggestions, I truly appreciate the information....even when the information is something painful to hear......but lucky for me, I just checked the service records (the few there are) and at 15k miles the clutch was changed.....

I don't know if I should be happy it has been done or if I should be worried it had to be changed at 15k.....I always like to think the glass is half-full so I chose to be happy and I hope (or rather say, PRAY) this clutch will last me a few years. I tend to be a very smooth and easy going driver, the clutch on my Vette is going on 70k miles and it still works flawlessly.

I will check the oil level and if it is low I will schedule my oil change service asap and have a trained tech take care of it.......after all peace of mind is worth $$$$.
Unfortunately, you can't compare a Corvette clutch to an F1. The wear will worsen if you back up much (I'm serious!), and ALWAYS keep it in Sport, NEVER Luxury mode (much more slip and wear). That said, the clutch will only get 15-20000 miles on it. SORRY!

post #18 of 37 Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

bst1, thanks for your advice.

I have one question though, when you mean "luxury" mode, you mean just regular F1 shifting using the paddles to shift gears right or did you mean "auto" mode? Even when I purchased the car, the sales guy adviced me to avoid driving on "auto" mode, which I have never done since owning the car......so should I just keep the "sport" mode lever down at all times? I've only used the sport mode lever when I drive up in the mountains in the twisty roads, but for normal driving I don't use the sport mode......should I then use sport mode at all times?
post #19 of 37 Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Owner

sport

Quote:
bst1, thanks for your advice.

I have one question though, when you mean "luxury" mode, you mean just regular F1 shifting using the paddles to shift gears right or did you mean "auto" mode? Even when I purchased the car, the sales guy adviced me to avoid driving on "auto" mode, which I have never done since owning the car......so should I just keep the "sport" mode lever down at all times? I've only used the sport mode lever when I drive up in the mountains in the twisty roads, but for normal driving I don't use the sport mode......should I then use sport mode at all times?
YES! "Auto" really isn't "Auto" in the sense of a torque converter 'slush box' transmission. It is still a real clutch, and the AUTO/Luxury mode is slower , smoother shifts that mimic an Automatic, but in reality, SLIP the clutch significantly, causing very fast wear! And I'm serious about avoiding using reverse often, as it also causes excessive wear. Of course you must back up occasionally, but avoid parking where you might have to back up a hill to get out. Back IN to that space, downhill. Like parking a Harley!

post #20 of 37 Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
I just bought my 360 four weeks ago. I live in the Sacramento area. There is a place called Salerno Motorsports in Rocklin. It comes highly recommended by my Ferrari friends. They'll be doing my fluid changes on the 20th. I can let you know what it costs.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode