3 in a row, 360 inspection required - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
3 in a row, 360 inspection required

The last three 360 Spiders in for service showed the same failure, one resulting in the aluminum pipe being cut through. Niki found the first two while doing engine bay work. Easily inspected by simply opening the engine lid. I have not spent the time to see if this is a Spider only issue or what Assembly number ranges are affected. Feedback from folks might help narrow down the affected range.

The Oil Tank vent tube (360 Spider, Tav 21, item #45) is being cut through by the Vac. Actuator bracket (360 Spider, Tav 8, #35 holding valve #6 ). In two of the 3 instances the damage was caught early enough that a simply reposition of the bracket was all that was required. The third example showed the aluminum tube cut completely through.

Worth a look see with prevention in mind. Below and inboard slightly from the Right side MAF Sensor. Pass this on to other 360 owners, if caught early enough it presents very little challenge to repair.
Attached Images

Last edited by davehelms; 12-16-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

I put this thread in the Discussion area and it should be in the "Modern" area. If anyone knows how to move it, please feel free.

Dave
post #3 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
I'm a little dense on this so I ask:

1. Only on Spiders? What would be a design flaw in that?
2. I am NOT seeing the mechanical action causing the cut, actually I am having a hard time seeing the first pic in the damage....can you expand or circle the area in the first pic?
thanks
rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
2. I am NOT seeing the mechanical action causing the cut, actually I am having a hard time seeing the first pic in the damage....can you expand or circle the area in the first pic?
thanks
rik
Rik
I think it's to the right of the bottom right hand corner of the black box at the top of the pic. (I think!)

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
I'm a little dense on this so I ask:

1. Only on Spiders? What would be a design flaw in that?
thanks
rik
1) I have only seen the problem on the Spiders. I honestly cant remember any of the Coupes having the Vac valves mounted on the cross member... I will look through the parts books and try to narrow it down a bit.

Not a design flaw, a placement/fitment issue that is fixed by rotating the vac valve on its mounting to provide clearance to the aluminum pipe.

2) Vibration and bad trans mounts allowing the engine to jump all over between shifts. Look just below and slightly inward of the Right MAF, the second photo is a close up.

Finding one example is not note worthy, finding 3 in 2 weeks is enough to mention it and have folks inspect it. You could loosen the mount and rotate the solenoid to give adequate clearance or..... just bent the bracket. With 70% of the 360's I see come in, the trans mount is bad and that engine moves quite a bit between shifts.

Correct Barry. That is the bottom of the coolant tank, removed and tipped forward.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Thanks

thanks for the claification: PS, would worn motor mounts be a problem here?

I know the mounts, for example on the older 456, wore quicker than later 456's and were not even a factor on the M series.

Point being, we know Ferrari has this 'modificato' bent on production models. Thinking valve guides here, and in some cases hoses and bearings and such, where it is only on certain SN'd cars.

So, do you have some indication of 'different part qualities' here?

and

Are the Spider serial numbers you have noted such damage, close in proximity?

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
thanks for the claification: PS, would worn motor mounts be a problem here?

I know the mounts, for example on the older 456, wore quicker than later 456's and were not even a factor on the M series.

Point being, we know Ferrari has this 'modificato' bent on production models. Thinking valve guides here, and in some cases hoses and bearings and such, where it is only on certain SN'd cars.

So, do you have some indication of 'different part qualities' here?

and

Are the Spider serial numbers you have noted such damage, close in proximity?

rik
Mid 126XXX and low 125XXX numbers on two of them.

Motor mounts are an issue but not as critical as the transmission mounts The engine girdle is not stout enough to take the hammering it receives when those mounts are bad on the F1 cars.

Three examples is not enough to say there is an issue but more than enough to start showing a trend. As long as the problem is easily dealt with when in the early stages...there is no big issue. The third example that had the pipe cut through had both a vacuum leak and an oil leak. Leaking of any sort in that hot engine bay is unacceptable.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
I know this is an old thread - but worth re-popping it to refresh some minds, and to let new 360 owners know to look for this.

Took mine in Yesterday to go ahead and have the Trans Mount and 2 Engine mounts replaced, replace some rubber bushings on the suspension...just general up-keep stuff that any 13 year old car needs....as well as locate a minor leak that was starting to show, but unknown from where per basic "under the Lid" inspection.

Phone call this AM from my tech, and it seems he is describing this exact problem!

Mine is an F1 Coupe....NOT a spider. Will be going by the shop to look personally at issue - but this seems to fit to description given.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
Update - was not this specific issue - was hose from power steering pump causing the leakage...however still good to know!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode