360 overheated - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
360 overheated

Took the 03, 360 out for a spin today. Car has just about 5K miles. Car ran fine during the drive (about an hour) and no issues. Parked the car in the driveway and let it run for about 15 min before pulling it back into the garage. I was sweeping out the garage while it was running and i heard some noises coming from the car. Went to check it out and found the temp gauge just crossing into the RED. What i heard was the steam coming out of the overflow.....

I shut it down, let it cool and looked around. Noticed about 2 gal of antifreeze under the car....

After it cooled for about an hour i restarted it and it sounded fine....i did not refill the overflow yet. Not sure what happened, but ill have to take the body pan off and look around to see whats went wrong.

Appreciate any thoughts - maybe the cooling fan did not come on? Blew a hose??

Any advise will be appreciated.

Ed Montini
330 GT 8289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
not much to go on but the obvious place to start are the hoses and connections. If you can get it off the ground, it should be fairly easy to find out where it's coming from. hope your head gaskets are ok.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 18 Old 12-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I would start by checking the fuses.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Thermostat?

how about that ?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 18 Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Admitedly - I do not own a Ferrari. Looking to buy my first one soon. But, my advice for what its worth (consider the price of the advice):

1. Start on the obvious/least expensive/least onerous fixes first. e.g. Check fuses, hoses, clamps, belts, etc.

2. If none of these bear fruit, move your way incrementally toward more complex/costly. e.g. radiator leak, water pump, cracked block/heads, etc.

Remember that the coolant system on your car is a closed loop. Therefore, you should be able to find the "symptom/s" easily. Also, something had to cause the closed loop to stress and ulitmatley "break." The challenge is finding the source. For example, replacing a ruptured hose may fix the symptom... but finding a faulty thermostat will cure the problem. Be sure to do an exhaustive anlaysis AFTER you found the symptom/s... and don't stop looking after you found just one symptom or cause. There may be several.

Hoses and clamps are like everything else in life - they wear over time... so a hose itself could be the cause. My point - just make sure that you are comfortable that you have solved the problem/s. A good test will be to run the car at idle for 10-15 mins in your driveway after putting the fix in place and monitor the temp closely. I do not trust gauges in cars exclusively, so I use an infrared thermometer when I work on mine... and will scan the entire cooling system to see what's running hot and what's not. This is always an interesting educational exercise...

Based on the fact that the car ran fine after it cooled down for some time provides some hope that it may not be too serious. Good luck.

Cheers,
coffeeis4closers
post #6 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
It happened to me once about a couple of years ago. The fans didn't go off as they should have and I had to shut down the engine as the temp kept rising and the coolant was spilling.

Never happened again, and at the Ferrari dealership, they did not know what to say.

Hope it doesn't happen again, but you never know.

Some guys call this the electric ghost.

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #7 of 18 Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

ANyone know where to buy the Shell Glyco coolant - or a recommended type that can be mixed with Shell? Need to top off the system and do a leak check, but would like to add the correct coolant to start.

Ed Montini
330 GT 8289
post #8 of 18 Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enio45 View Post
ANyone know where to buy the Shell Glyco coolant - or a recommended type that can be mixed with Shell? Need to top off the system and do a leak check, but would like to add the correct coolant to start.
You should be able to buy it direct from your local Ferrari dealer.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Before you fill that antifreeze you need to know what caused that. You could cook the head gaskets!

If the antifreeze had recently been changed it could be air trapped in system from an improper bleed. 360's are a real treat to bleed.

If not could be fans not coming on (you should hear them when the car is running come on and off), or it could be a bad thermostat.

Check it through first.

Of course with that much fluid it could be a bad hose but not likely w/5K miles.

As to antifreeze Prestone 50/50 mix is best. You can get at Target, etc.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
I am starting to see signs of the bleeder hoses on the 360's deteriorating internally much like the 355's and 550's.

I have the fix in hand but have not been able to justify making a statement just yet. The ones that are difficult to bleed all show the hose ID starting to shrink near the fittings. It is quite possible that the cars in year around climates have progressed further than those I deal with locally.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Owner

Which are the bleeder hoses, Dave.

Those the ones that feed into the overflow tank from the heads?
post #12 of 18 Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
Table 23, 360 Modena/Spider parts book

The photo's are from a 355 but the swelling I am starting to see is much the same. Once steam has worked its majic on the ID it can no longer self bleed the system of air. When they are free from obstruction everything self bleeds quite well.
Attached Images

Last edited by davehelms; 12-22-2009 at 03:26 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Owner

Well understand.

Do I see those famous Scuderia Rampante hoses?

Folks, Dave offers the finest line of replacement Ferrari hoses in the business. He has them for every application!

He is very modest about it, but don't let that fool you.

This man knows what he's doing with Ferraris.

Last edited by Gcalo; 12-22-2009 at 07:42 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Well understand.

Do I see those famous Scuderia Rampante hoses?

Folks, Dave offers the finest line of replacement Ferrari hoses in the business. He has them for every application!

He is very modest about it, but don't let that fool you.

This man knows what he's doing with Ferraris.
+1

It's nice to see somebody fixing a problem, rather that putting a temporary fix to known problems. Why replace crap with crap?
Dave comes up with solutions that will last forever, not just until the car is in for service again.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Owner

And you should see the quality of those hoses!

They beat anything Ferrari ever thought of.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Related to my overheating issues in the driveway, i checked and pressurized the system cold, checked the cap and found NO issues. I added a gallon of fresh anti freeze and started it up. Ran fine, both cooling fan kicked on at 200 degrees, cooled down and recycled accordingly. Heater system worked well with hot air in the car and AC worked well also.

SO, I drove the car a little on Xmas day - all went fine.

Not sure of the issue i had but ill keep an eye on the temp gauge and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the insight......

Ed Montini
330 GT 8289
post #17 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Owner

You still may be dealing w/a bad thermostat.

Make sure the car comes up to full temp (10-15 miles) and watch that temp cause if it overheats again you could cook the head gaskets.

Why not check your oil to make sure there are no water droplets in it.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enio45 View Post
Related to my overheating issues in the driveway, i checked and pressurized the system cold, checked the cap and found NO issues. I added a gallon of fresh anti freeze and started it up. Ran fine, both cooling fan kicked on at 200 degrees, cooled down and recycled accordingly. Heater system worked well with hot air in the car and AC worked well also.

SO, I drove the car a little on Xmas day - all went fine.

Not sure of the issue i had but ill keep an eye on the temp gauge and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the insight......
Good to hear it is sorted.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode