360 Spider with accident in car fax? Discount? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
360 Spider with accident in car fax? Discount?

How much of a discount should a 2004 360 spider sell at if it was in an accident per CARFAX and properly fixed and passes a Ferrari PPI? This is a second owner car and the owner does not have any record for the repair work from the original owner. I'm thinking 10- 15K discount, but just guessing. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
With the prices falling on 360's each day--Why not get a car with no accident? Plenty of 02 and 03 cars they are probably the same price with no issues...
post #3 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
I'm going to drive it...

I thought that I may be better off saving the money since I'm going to use if 3-5K miles per year. I assume the financial discount for the blemished record will shrink over time and miles. Isn't there a price where it just becomes a better value?

post #4 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by X Z8 View Post
I assume the financial discount for the blemished record will shrink over time and miles. Isn't there a price where it just becomes a better value?
probably not. ferrari buyers are a strange breed. when you go to sell, that carfax will wipe out a large portion of the potential buyers. I would only buy it if i could steal it. YMMV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
probably not. ferrari buyers are a strange breed.
I agree with this statement.
How bad do you want this particular car? You can ask the seller for a discount but if he doesn't budge what are you going to do? When I bought my car I wanted a red 308GTS, pre-1980, with a black interior and a Euro frontend. I spent about 6 months trying to find the car and the one I found was 10 hours away. The asking price was reasonable but I asked to dicker on the price anyway. The dealer said the owner was not anxious to sell and was basically just storing the car there and wouldn't accept less. What am I to do? This is the car I wanted. I didn't bother with a carfax. I bought the car and I've had it for 7 years. It is now worth more than what I've got into it so I'm good.

As for the accident, if it was properly repaired I don't have a problem with it. It's metal. It was bent, now it is not.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I agree with this statement.
As for the accident, if it was properly repaired I don't have a problem with it. It's metal. It was bent, now it is not.
+1! Love this matter-of-fact statement!

It depends a few parameters, essentially:
* is there any specific reason you really want this particular car? (other than the implied bargain, if any)
* is it indeed proven to be (otherwise) issue-free? (right now, that is)
* are you in this for the long-haul and not likely to be strapped for cash any time soon?
(if terminal selling value is not an issue, why worry?)

If the answer to any of the above is NO, you should probably walk away and look a bit further.
If not, go with Pete's neatly phrased wisdom.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I know for a fact that there are Ferraris being sold as 'low-mileage never been in accident' that were in fact complete write-offs with bent chassis, total wrecks. It happens, in any market on the planet. And no matter what Pete says, beyond a certain amount of damage a car is never going to be good again.

So I would only buy a Ferrari that has been in an accident if the owner is completely upfront about it, the damage was minor and did not affect the chassis, and only if he/she has pictures and bills to back up their story.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I know for a fact that there are Ferraris being sold as 'low-mileage never been in accident' that were in fact complete write-offs with bent chassis, total wrecks. It happens, in any market on the planet. And no matter what Pete says, beyond a certain amount of damage a car is never going to be good again.
I disagree Onno. My Dad bought my Jeep brand new in 1982. He used it as a daily driver for 13 years and the body rusted out from being on the salt covered roads of Maine. Plus the engine caught on fire and it sat in the driveway for 2 years. I was like, "Dad, you going to give me that Jeep?" and he did and I replaced the body and rebuilt the thing and used it for off-roading. Everytime something broke I replaced it with the best parts money could buy. I've broken axles, snapped U-joints, I've rolled it over, I've put it on it's side, I've hit trees going 20 mph hard enough to bend the frame. I tell you what, the Jeep gets better each time I fix it and it looks better then it did when new, it is pretty much bullet-proof, drives better than stock even with the lift and it is still worth what my Dad paid for it new.

So if you wanted to buy a Jeep, mines the one you'd want. It's been totalled twice and been on fire once. But all my friends will tell you that right now it is one of the best Jeeps out there. It has even been in a magazine. If you are interested I had a thread here called "rebuilding the jeep".

Hope my Ferrari doesn't go through the same routines but I just wanted to illustrate that damage to a car is not irrepairable and although it is not as desirable as a car that has never been damaged, well, is it OK? Is it the car you want? Can you find a better one for the same money? Is it the car you want for a price you think is reasonable?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode