F1 Best practices for F430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
F1 Best practices for F430

Looking to buy my first Ferrari (a F430) as per my other post. I *think* I am leaning towards a coupe w/F1. Wondering if any of you have best practices/advice on how to drive a F1 F430 to ensure best life from the clutch, optimal performance, and reliability. I have other manuals and sports cars with shift paddles (Porsches, BMWs, Vettes), but have never driven an auto-manual like the F430. Thoughts?

thx,
coffeeis4closers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Lucky you!

I think you'll find the 430 F1 superbly easy and intuitive to drive with very little attention required for long and trouble free operation. I also think you'll find the Ferrari F1 transmission far superior to anything else you've driven --- incredibly smooth and easy under normal conditions but brutally fast and solid when pushed.

Almost all F1 clutch wear occurs at startup from stopped but clutch engagement is easily controlled at that time with the throttle. The car takes good care of the clutch after that. Be sure to read the owners manual on driving the F1 but you'll easily get a feel for proper technique after your first 10 minutes in the car. Never use the F1 low traction mode and minimize backing up (especially up hill) since the car slips the clutch continuously in those modes.

If you follow all recommended service and inspection intervals, these cars have proven to be supremely reliable and pleasant to drive. My 360 experience has been a hoot at all times and completely trouble free. Obviously deferred maintenance will crush any car but it's also clear these cars love to be driven. I believe the quickest way to turn a 360 or 430 into a problem is park it --- the more I drive mine, the better it runs.

The F430 is a great car my friend. Lucky you!

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Dear Coffeeis4closers,

I fully agree with Camdon53, especially the part "Lucky you!". Please also read my comments to mattroberts123 on the same subject.

Further, always keep a maintenance battery charger connected when parked for more than a week. The electronic system likes a full charge to work perfectly. If the battery is very low but the car still just stars you may find it wont change gears. However, by switching it to automatic it will change gears fine. You will then need to calibrate the electronics by switching on the ignition for 30 seconds, switch it off again, wait another five seconds and then crank the engine up.

Nevertheless, like Camdon53 states, when there is a doubt, always read the manual before actions.

Regarding your call sign Coffeeis4closers, as opposed to the line in the film it doesn't take brass balls to drive a 430. But when you step out of a 430 after a good drive it certainly feels like they are made of solid brass.

Buona fortuna con la compra della 430!

il Capolino

post #4 of 13 Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
if and when you do get love to see pics!

I want to Race.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Will do! Ironically our 1 year old just yanked our digital SLR (mounted with best lens) off the kitchen table today and busted our camera + lens... so I now need a Fearrari F430... and the camera to take its pictures! Oh well.
The price of having offspring...

-coffeeis4closers
post #6 of 13 Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Interesting insight into 430/F1 paddle shift info.

Who would have thought that backing up was so rough on the car, and that a low battery would deter gear engagement?

I would love to drive a 430 someday.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Low battery will cause many problems or symptoms of problems.

The ECU's are always pulling power, and when bat is low they don't get fully energized sending out weird signals of probs that are not really there.

Battery tenders are essential and OEM battery replacement at 3-4 years is a must. By all means stay away from OEM batteries. They are low bidder junk.

Use Interstate or Odyssey.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeis4closers View Post
Will do! Ironically our 1 year old just yanked our digital SLR (mounted with best lens) off the kitchen table today and busted our camera + lens... so I now need a Ferrari F430... and the camera to take its pictures! Oh well.
The price of having offspring...

-coffeeis4closers
wow lol sounds stressful, but hey its holiday season good and bad things can and WILL happen

I want to Race.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeis4closers View Post
Will do! Ironically our 1 year old just yanked our digital SLR (mounted with best lens) off the kitchen table today and busted our camera + lens... so I now need a Fearrari F430... and the camera to take its pictures! Oh well.
The price of having offspring...---
Exactly why I have my motto: No kids; No pets!

I could not picture that happening to me!
post #10 of 13 Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

We have kids so we can hand daddy's toys down to someone other than the government.

cheers,
coffeeis4closers
post #11 of 13 Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Did i read somewhere that these F1 Trans. play funny buggers reversing up hils or for long distances in reverse or something?

Long live manual transmission, worst you can do is burn the clutch plate.

Ciao
post #12 of 13 Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
This thread is for the F430, however I understand that an F360 should never be "jumpstarted" because the battery surge could fry the instrument cluster ($4,000).

The best way to "jumpstart" an F360 is to remove the battery from the passenger footwell, and then replace the charged battery. Otherwise, a trickle charger (such as C-Tek) is recommended.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
Did i read somewhere that these F1 Trans. play funny buggers reversing up hils or for long distances in reverse or something? ---

Reverse gear has the highest degree of slippage because it is only one gear.

It is a sure fire killer of the clutch disk for extended usages.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode