Ferrari 360 Modena Gift - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Ferrari 360 Modena Gift

Hey guys, recently bought a Black Ferrari 360 Modena fitted with tubi and F1 gearbox as a gift for my older brother who is turning 23 in November. However it's not being delivered here in naples, Florida until next week and waiting seems like an eternity.

Until his birthday in November I get to take her out for some joy rides
Since I don't have personal photos of it yet, here are some from the dealership.

One question I had with the F1 Gearbox. When I want to turn the engine off, I need to shift to neutral correct? What if it's in auto, do I need to manually shift to neutral as well before turning the engine off?

Thanks a lot guys and can't wait to show you more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to F Lift Hellfrost,
Lovely gift. I'm sure your bother will be delighted.

re your question - technically you don't need to shift to neutral when you turn the engine off - you only need to be in neutral when you start the engine. However on my 360, I've encountered problems in the past parking in gear and not being able to engage neutral at re-start. I always park in neutral now (assuming a level parking surface).

Never used the auto feature so can't be of much help there, but I would assume a manual shift to neutral would be best advised.

Rgds

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 52 Old 10-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 57
You have a good eye for gifts.

I hope your brother enjoys it.

post #4 of 52 Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfrost View Post
Hey guys, recently bought a Black Ferrari 360 Modena fitted with tubi and F1 gearbox as a gift for my older brother who is turning 23 in November. However it's not being delivered here in naples, Florida until next week and waiting seems like an eternity.

Until his birthday in November I get to take her out for some joy rides
Since I don't have personal photos of it yet, here are some from the dealership.

One question I had with the F1 Gearbox. When I want to turn the engine off, I need to shift to neutral correct? What if it's in auto, do I need to manually shift to neutral as well before turning the engine off?

Thanks a lot guys and can't wait to show you more.
Highly recommend that you not use the auto mode. It will wear the clutch very quickly.
post #5 of 52 Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you guys,

Barry, I appreciate the help with the gearbox. And Boxer(Beautiful collection), I would never drive the car in auto, but my brother might. I will tell him to keep it in manual all the time then. The car has a new clutch in and has 9000 miles. Should I expect to go 15,000 miles more before a new clutch is needed?
post #6 of 52 Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Should I expect to go 15,000 miles more before a new clutch is needed?
My 360 has 22,000 miles and to the best of my knowledge has never had a new clutch (don't recall seeing it in any of the old services from before my ownership). So can't comment for sure, but I'd expect to get 15K mls from a new one - a lot depends on how you drive it as well though...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 52 Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

This might seem like an odd question, but should I tip the delivery man? He is driving all the way cross country and I don't want to seem rude. If so, how much should I tip him?
post #8 of 52 Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you guys,

Barry, I appreciate the help with the gearbox. And Boxer(Beautiful collection), I would never drive the car in auto, but my brother might. I will tell him to keep it in manual all the time then. The car has a new clutch in and has 9000 miles. Should I expect to go 15,000 miles more before a new clutch is needed?
If you drive it sympathically, you should be able to get 40k miles out of the clutch. Use it in auto and you can expect 10k or less.
post #9 of 52 Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

As promised, here are some new screenshots of it.

Car worked great, except a few times at low gears it slipped to neutral at 5-15mph. I know some mentioned that it's because it needs a new clutch, but the clutch is brand new. Any ideas? Kind difficult to drive at low speeds, have to be very consistent with the gas petal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hellfrost; 10-22-2009 at 02:33 PM.
post #10 of 52 Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Welcome: Question. At 23, is your brother well versed in an F1 and high performance car?
Might want to spring for some track/pro-instruction time at part of the package.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 52 Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Welcome: Question. At 23, is your brother well versed in an F1 and high performance car?
Might want to spring for some track/pro-instruction time at part of the package.
Are you suggesting that something might go wrong by giving a 23-year old an F1 360? I can't think of a single thing...

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #12 of 52 Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Haha good point guys, but my brother is not the type to race or go above the speed limit too often, especially in an exotic car that could potentially kill him.
post #13 of 52 Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Very very wise suggestion.
post #14 of 52 Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
F1 gearbox clutch wear

An F1 gearbox slipping into neutral is the classic symptom of a clutch nearing the end of it's life. Clutch life can vary from less than 1K miles up to 40K files depending mostly on individual driving style. Most (like 90%) clutch wear occurs at startup from still. The other clutch killers are reverse and low traction mode which continuously slip the clutch.

Clutch wear is unaffected by auto mode since the same software is used as normal mode paddles. The only difference between F1 auto mode and normal mode paddles is the decision when to shift. That decision is made by a computer in auto mode instead of the driver with the paddles. Otherwise they are entirely identical so clutch wear is identical as well. The internet myth of high clutch wear in auto mode is persistent but quite untrue.

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #15 of 52 Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you Cam, but are you suggesting my clutch is worn out in less then 20 miles? It's a brand new clutch. I have not pushed the car beyond 4,000 rpm, and only drove her for 10 minutes.

I think it's my lack of skills with the car and my horrible timing with the gears. I had a difficult time driving her at very low speeds.

Last edited by Hellfrost; 10-23-2009 at 08:02 AM.
post #16 of 52 Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Owner

Who replaced the clutch?

The only time an F1 will slip uninvited into neutral is if the car is standing still and in gear but no brake input (i.e., foot NOT pressing firmly on brake peddle). If an F1 goes into neutral while the car is moving, either the clutch is ready for replacement or something else is very very wrong.

Obviously I have no idea who worked on your car but an F1 clutch should only be replaced and adjusted by a factory trained technician using the factory SD3 or SD4 computer. Anyone or anything else is begging for trouble and extremely short clutch life.

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #17 of 52 Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Owner

Another possibility....

Another possibility here is that the F1 system is not actually going into neutral. At extremely slow speeds (e.g., 3-5 mph) the F1 system will begin to feather the clutch automatically in both 1st and 2nd gear. Perhaps you're mistaking this action for "going into neutral". You can tell the difference by glancing at the gear status display on the tack face right in the middle of the instrument panel. That display will continue to show the gear selected (i.e., "1" or "2") while slipping the clutch (since it's definitely still in gear). If the system actually shifts into neutral, an "N" will show there instead.

post #18 of 52 Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Camdon; the car did feather between 1-2 gear, the status display said "N" when the car slipped into Neutral. I shifted it a few times before it finally went into gear. I am having the car serviced and inspected on Monday once i have all the final paperwork. I also think the transmission ECU is not upgraded. Although I have never drove an F1 Ferrari, the shifting seemed kind of slow and jerky. But this was all at very low rpm's so it might be me just trying to get use to the car.

The clutch was replaced 600 miles/1 year ago by Ferrari Maserati of Washington.
post #19 of 52 Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Owner

Maybe it's you after all

It's sounding more and more like you may be correct about the poor driving technique. The 360 is not a street car tuned up for speed (like a Lambo). Ferrari is the opposite -- mostly a race car detuned for the street. The faster and harder they're driven, the smoother and slicker they get. They generally don't respond well to granny-footing.

Next time you take a spin, try getting the oil temp up first and then get it on like the car was meant to be used. See if that doesn't solve some of these issues.

post #20 of 52 Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
The clutch was replaced 600 miles/1 year ago by Ferrari Maserati of Washington.
That could be your problem. I had serious problems w/the dealership w/one of my cars when they lost their best technicians.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode