360 F1 - Can't find neutral - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
360 F1 - Can't find neutral

Hi all,
Went out for a drive today, no problems, but left the 360 in 1st gear after I parked it on the drive. Few hours later I go to take it out again and cannot find neutral. Digital gear indicator keeps reading "1". No amount of pulling the 2 paddles towards me will find neutral. Equally I can't select reverse no matter how many times I pull back on the reverse "T" beside the hand brake.

Can anyone help - or suggest anything I can do????

Barry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53

will she let you start her in gear?and are you pointing the right way?sounds like you may have confused the brain thingy!i'd try to start in the position it is in and worry about finding neautral as you get going,does it have some sort of relay,that may have stuck on?sorry if this is not helpful more used to older cars.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Well Barry it could be a lot of things the rubber stand under the engine could be wore out and the engine is not sitting on the car right, or your nightmare of owning a F1 gearbox have finally come true and you have a F1 pump problem is it a big problem you ask? YES it can be verrry costly for a replacement, try to switch the battery of for 15 mins and than turn it back on, start the engine don't touch anything for ten mins and let the pc re program it self then try the gears Chaz said that once see if that works, best you ask GCALO he can help you with that he is an expert on 360's and F1 gear box.

good luck!

post #4 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
Well Barry it could be a lot of things the rubber stand under the engine could be wore out and the engine is not sitting on the car right, or your nightmare of owning a F1 gearbox have finally come true and you have a F1 pump problem is it a big problem you ask? YES it can be verrry costly for a replacement, try to switch the battery of for 15 mins and than turn it back on, start the engine don't touch anything for ten mins and let the pc re program it self then try the gears Chaz said that once see if that works, best you ask GCALO he can help you with that he is an expert on 360's and F1 gear box.

good luck!
+1, first thing I would try is killing the battery for 10 minutes and then turning it back on.

If this does not work, suggest you call the dealer for advise (one I PM'ed you should be happy to help).
post #5 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Gents,
Good news is that late last night (after I had switched the battery off and back on again) it found neutral. Have no idea what happened. I just got back in, did the usual, foot on brake and pulled the 2 paddles and on the 4th/5th try it went back into neutral.

Been out for a short spin this morning, everything appears fine, gear selection no problem (though I am making sure I park in neutral!).

So, big question now is - do I just pretend it never happened (the easy option ) or should I do something about it?????

Barry.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Good for you Barry, and of course you should do something about it,...by taking her out for more workouts. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Good for you Barry, and of course you should do something about it,...by taking her out for more workouts. w/ smiles Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, that's the kind of remedial advice I was hoping somebody would suggest
post #8 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
post #9 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry O'Brien View Post
Thanks Jimmy, that's the kind of remedial advice I was hoping somebody would suggest
Well excuse me then.

anyway good to hear it worked.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
Well excuse me then.

anyway good to hear it worked.
Awwwwhh...David. Recovery is fast ? Maybe, you're treating your car way too "nervoseum" (to be self interpreted, whatever way one likes) ? Sorry, had to say it, beacusr your 355 is way too immaculate. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Awwwwhh...David. Recovery is fast ? Maybe, you're treating your car way too "nervoseum" (to be self interpreted, whatever way one likes) ? Sorry, had to say it, beacusr your 355 is way too immaculate. w/ smiles Jimmy
Well Jimmy, when someone is jumping around asking for help on FL, you would think they would be more appreicative when their problem is all sorted out, how wrong was i! no wonder is been so quiet here lately.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Owner

Don't worry, Daivd. We all luv ya here. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 22 Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Well Jimmy, when someone is jumping around asking for help on FL, you would think they would be more appreicative when their problem is all sorted out, how wrong was i! no wonder is been so quiet here lately.
Hi David and everyone - don't get me wrong - I'm very appreciative for everyone's input. So much so that I called the dealer this morning to ask him about it. He confirmed your comments about the pump, and also asked me if I can hear it priming when I open the car door (which I can). So his thoughts were that it could be the relay/fuse. His advice was to replace the relay at the next service (which will be pretty soon), so that's the plan of action for the moment.

Thanks to all for your help.

Barry.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Pressing hard on the brake pedal will usually resolve this problem.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Barry, I experienced a similar problem, left the 360 for 1hr, pressed hard on the brake peddle, no further issue. Did you reach a conclusion?
post #16 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Chris- Welcome to Ferrari Life. That happened about 2 1/2 years ago and apparently Barry got her fixed.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
Barry, I experienced a similar problem, left the 360 for 1hr, pressed hard on the brake peddle, no further issue. Did you reach a conclusion?

The thread is 3 years old but you are right, usually pressing very hard on the brake pedal works. The brake vacuum check valves in the 360 often leak down so there is no vacuum left for the power brakes. When that happens very high pedal pressure is required to make contact on the switch telling the computer the brakes are on so it will select neutral in the starting process.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Thanks for the replies. Got my F360 Spider three weeks ago and this was one of those little quirks that is of interest and one which caught me out!
post #19 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Me too Chris......I have been reading every thread in the 360/430 Forum lately. Thanks for the explanation Brian.....that makes sense.

Hows the weather over there Barry....? Happy Easter on the Emerald Isle....

Present: 1999 360 Modena 116113
Past: 1986 GTS 64263
post #20 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Hows the weather over there Barry....? Happy Easter on the Emerald Isle....
Dry, bright and warm. But I spent the day prepping a camper van for a trip....

Well before I went to see Leinster make their way into the European Heineken Cup Semi Final.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode