2011 Ferrari 458 Italia - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
2011 Ferrari 458 Italia

(Ferrari 458 Italia) The new Ferrari 458 Italia is a synthesis of style, creative flair, passion and cutting-edge technology, characteristics for which Italy as a nation is well-known. For this reason Ferrari chose to add the name of its homeland to the traditional figure representing the displacement and number of cylinders.

The Ferrari 458 Italia is a completely new car from every point of view: engine, design, aerodynamics, handling, instrumentation and ergonomics, just to name a few.

A two-seater berlinetta, the Ferrari 458 Italia, as is now traditional for all Ferrari’s road-going cars, benefits hugely from the company’s Formula 1 experience. This is particularly evident in the speed and precision with which the car responds to driver inputs and in the attention focused on reducing internal friction in the engine for lower fuel consumption than the F430, despite the fact that both overall displacement and power have increased. However, Ferrari’s track experience makes its presence felt in the 458 Italia not only in terms of pure technological transfer but also on a more emotional level, because of the strong emphasis on creating an almost symbiotic relationship between driver and car. The 458 Italia features an innovative driving environment with a new kind of steering wheel and dashboard that is the direct result of racing practice. Once again input from Michael Schumacher – who was involved from the very start of the 458 Italia project – played an invaluable part.

The Ferrari 458 Italia’s Pininfarina design provides further evidence of the complete departure from the past that this new car hails. The Ferrari 458 Italia has a compact, aerodynamic shape, underscoring the concepts of simplicity, efficiency and lightness that inspired the project. As with every Ferrari, the car’s styling has been very heavily influenced by the requirements for aerodynamic efficiency, as can be seen from the downforce of 140 kg at 200km/h generated by the new model. The front features a single opening for the front grille and side air intakes, with aerodynamic sections and profiles designed to direct air to the coolant radiators and the new flat underbody. The nose also sports small aeroelastic winglets which generate downforce and, as speed rises, deform to reduce the section of the radiator inlets and cut drag.

The new 4499 cc V8 is the first Ferrari direct injection engine to be mid-rear mounted. It has a very low piston compression height typical of racing engines which contributed to achieving its compression ratio of 12.5:1. Equipped with the traditional flat-plane crankshaft, the engine delivers 570 CV at 9000 rpm and, with an outstanding power output of 127 CV/litre, sets a new benchmark not only for the whole Ferrari range and the history of company, but also for the entire market segment. Maximum torque is 540 Nm at 6000 rpm, over 80 per cent of which is available from 3250 rpm. Specific torque is a record 120 Nm/litre. However, what is truly extraordinary is the amount of torque available while still maintaining high levels of power at low revs.

The Ferrari 458 Italia soundtrack is also typical Ferrari, with an exciting, powerful growl emerging from the engine before it channels through to the exhaust’s three rear tailpipes.

The 458 Italia is equipped with the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission which increases performance whilst providing very smooth shifts even at full throttle. The engineers have developed specific, sportier gear ratios to match the power and torque curves of the new V8, guaranteeing high torque even at lower engine speeds and allowing the car to reach its maximum speed in top gear.

This new Ferrari is also a major leap forward when it comes to cutting emissions. Despite the fact that the new engine is significantly more powerful than the V8s that preceded it, the Ferrari 458 Italia produces just 320 g/km of CO2 and fuel consumption is 13.7 l/100 km (combined cycle), the best in the entire segment.

The engineers also focused on weight reduction during the design phase for similar reasons. Consequently, the Ferrari 458 Italia has a dry weight of 1380 kg with a power-to-weight ratio of 2.42 kg/CV. Weight distribution is also optimal with 58 per cent over the rear axle. The result of the engineers’ endeavours can be summed up in to two simple statistics which together perfectly encapsulate the Ferrari 458 Italia’s exceptional performance: 0-100 km/h acceleration in under 3.4 seconds and a maximum speed in excess of 325 km/h.

For the new chassis, once more in aluminium, Maranello’s engineers incorporated various types of advanced alloys along with aerospace industry-derived manufacturing and bonding techniques.

With regard to vehicle dynamics, the Ferrari 458 Italia’s suspension features twin wishbones at the front and a multi-link set-up at the rear tuned for maximum roadholding and superlative handling. Along with a more direct steering ratio, the 458 Italia thus offers extremely rapid turn-in and body control whilst maintaining superior ride comfort.

The integration of the E-Diff and F1-Trac (now controlled by the same ECU) and their respective mappings is even greater, resulting in a 32 per cent increase in longitudinal acceleration out of corners compared to previous models. The evolution of the control logic, with even faster and more accurate calculation of levels of grip, ensures even greater roadholding, better handling and ease of control on the limit.

The same ECU also governs the high-performance ABS, providing even more precise control over the logic threshold and greater efficiency. The brakes also feature a prefill function whereby the pistons in the callipers move the pads into contact with the discs on lift off to minimise delay in the brakes being applied. This combined with the ABS has cut the 100-0 km/h braking distance to a mere 32.5 metres.

The Ferrari 458 Italia’s interior is another area of the car that exalts its sporty personality. The driver is welcomed by a new layout and a revolutionary ergonomic interface where the main controls are all clustered on the steering wheel.

With the Ferrari 458 Italia, Maranello has brought a highly distinctive new car to its 8-cylinder range. The company now offers two models that share a common, race-derived DNA, both exceptionally sporty and fun to drive in true Ferrari tradition, but aimed at two very different kinds of client. While the Ferrari California was created for owners requiring a more versatile sports car with a practical edge, the 458 Italia is designed for owners for whom the priority is uncompromising on-road performance with occasional track day capability, but who still demand a car that is useable in day-to-day driving like all Ferrari’s recent models. (hi cars)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Congratulations to both, Ferrari and Pininfarina for a fantastic design work. This car looks really great !! (IMO)
post #3 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I love it, really do. All family members are up for sale, PM me if interested.

Onno

P.S. I'm talking about my expendable family, not what's in the garage!

P.S. 2 - My understanding is not 2011, but 2010 first delivery date.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Except for

the headlights, I like it = Ferrari looking. To bad it's Pininfarina's swan-song

interesting open grill area: snarly

jonsibal.com / Ferrari 458 Italia Spyder Artists Rendering

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10907282...-italia-spyder
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 07-28-2009 at 09:41 AM.
post #5 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
+1 on loving the design. The ''insiders'' were not joking when the word got out that Ferrari were going with something different, and in this case, different is certainly working for them. It has a bit of everyhing from previous Ferrari models incorporated into it.
post #6 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
The best thing Ferrari and PF have done for years, I love it from all angles. The side profile is probably the best, love the way the short nose slopes and the rear quarter light is reminiscent of the 308 GTB, 288GTO and F40, as Mike says there are design cues borrowed from other classics too. The rear arches or shoulders as I like to call them look very aggresive. The 3 exhaust pipes look cool to. I really can't fault it. How can they get it so right with this but so wrong with the California?
Hopefully I will be able to afford one in 20 years :-(

Archie
post #7 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Outstanding. I am really impressed.
post #8 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Back to the wide shoulders. Wonderful design. An improvement from the 430.

I wonder what would Tony Curtis say about this new 570 hp Dino down in the French Riviera hassling Roger Moore's DBS...

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #9 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
looks great and like nothing else on the road, just like all Ferraris should be

so is the design 100% approved by the members of FL? I think that is the 1st time it happens for a brand new Ferrari!!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #10 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
i think people will really go crazy over this, is this the F430 replacement? i hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to Race.
post #11 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I absolutely hate it!......JUST KIDDING! It is absolutely spectacular looking. They did a great job designing this one

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #12 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
wow i just have to post again because i just went to ferrari.com and saw the title page, and i am in awe for this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 yessssss i am so happy it looks good, i have spent nights to myself thinking, the 348 and f355 were both awsome and built on a very similar chassis, the 360 and F430 were awsome and built on a very similar chassis, WHAT IF THE NEW CHASSIS DOESNT LOOK AS GOOD..... and it DOESSSSSS YES!
i am excited
go to this very cool
http://speciali.ferrari.com/458italia/index_en.html

I want to Race.
post #13 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
570 HP. Holy smokes!

It's very Enzo-like.

I notice how lowered this car is.

Very nice.

Well there goes my thinking about a Bentley!

I guess I need to see in in, well, what else, blue!!!

Makes the California look like chopped liver. Guess that model will have a short lifespan.

Last edited by Gcalo; 07-28-2009 at 05:29 PM.
post #14 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Absolutely one of the best looking Ferraris I have ever seen. I guess there are going to be a lot of 430's up for sale real soon. This car has got it from every angle. Hope I live long enough to buy one!
Docf
post #15 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Owner

I take the stand that the 360 is, for me, the nicest car Ferrari designed after the Dino.

This is a nice car and I'll buy one but my 360 will stay in the garage.

Look at the size of the brake discs on that sucka!!
post #16 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Love it from all angles, I sense a little Gallardo DNA in the nose and the tail.

Love the name "Italia" also.

Mark

PS. For another post, I had a yellow Gallardo blow by me on freeway today.
Me at 75, it at 110-120mph.
post #17 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Owner

I think a closer look at the nose there is the 308 Euro style and the 355.

It's a nice one.

The name beats prosciutto a few had suggested it would be.

Maybe they were just haming it up a bit.
post #18 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Finally they got the design right on this one, it does have characteristics of the Enzo, 430, California and 599 I like every angle so far. The specs are astounding holy crap is an understatement this thing is not just a monster it's a monster killer, way to go Ferrari and Pininfarina for a gorgeous design that is bound to become a classic.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #19 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I absolutely hate it
Blasphemy is not tolerated here.

One day ban.
post #20 of 160 Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by io sono tifoso View Post
is this the F430 replacement? i hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
It's very Enzo-like.
Actually, it looks more like the P4/5 to me. So I guess it is a little Enzo-like

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode