2000 456 M GTA thermostat gasket issue - Ferrari Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David @ FluentInFerrari

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
2000 456 M GTA thermostat gasket issue

First post ever here.. Please forgive me if there was a previous post that I didn't see regarding the issue I'm having.
I have a slow, but steady leak coming from the thermostat gasket at the water pump. I ordered the part from an online distributer which was the Ferrari 137873 GASKET (Item 15 in the parts breakout). Upon installing the gasket I realized that they were in no way similar at all.. Ive tried to install it anyhow, and it continues its leak. The new gasket is the one pictured in the plastic in the photo and has a smaller I.D, Smaller I.D and approximately 2 mm thinner.
Does anyone know if there is a match to what I have pictured that is in rough shape or any suggestions on a viable option?
I read about an individual having a similar issue on another forum, however, no luck in contacting him to see if he found a resolution.
I'm pretty certain that it can't be repaired, but, may have to attempt.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug42 View Post
First post ever here.. Please forgive me if there was a previous post that I didn't see regarding the issue I'm having.
I have a slow, but steady leak coming from the thermostat gasket at the water pump. I ordered the part from an online distributer which was the Ferrari 137873 GASKET (Item 15 in the parts breakout). Upon installing the gasket I realized that they were in no way similar at all.. Ive tried to install it anyhow, and it continues its leak. The new gasket is the one pictured in the plastic in the photo and has a smaller I.D, Smaller I.D and approximately 2 mm thinner.
Does anyone know if there is a match to what I have pictured that is in rough shape or any suggestions on a viable option?
I read about an individual having a similar issue on another forum, however, no luck in contacting him to see if he found a resolution.
I'm pretty certain that it can't be repaired, but, may have to attempt.
I've dealt this issue in the past. There is no gasket on the housing, just a thick o-ring. I'd try a dealer supplier, (to verify correctness) as often poor substitutions are made by aftermarket supplier based on inaccurate information. Keep in mind that the sealing design of the housing is pretty poor to begin with, so cleanliness is critical. If the housing is warped, you'll likely seep. Once everything is clean, the thermostat goes in the housing first. Then the o-ring. Then a light layer on sealant (Three Bond or Loctite 518).

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode