Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Modern V12s: 456, 550, 575, 599, 612, 812 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v12s-456-550/)
-   -   F456 6-1 Headers Manifolds (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v12s-456-550/59265-f456-6-1-headers.html)

Fiammenghi Engineering 01-13-2019 11:23 PM

F456 6-1 Headers Manifolds

Hello at all, my friends,
on the past year some persons asked me informations about the 6-1 headers manifold as option for the 456, the 6-1 headers for this car are the same of the 550, but catalizers are different, i still have not found two OE cat of the 456 for take dimensions but my friend who have the blu 456 that have installed my mufflers on years ago, is quivering to install the 6-1 headers, i think probably on late spring or in summer he will order.
At that moment i will have his car in my shop an can take all the dimensions that i need.
After do the catalizers i will have all the system for the 456, becasue both centre double H-pipes and back muffler (with electric bypass) are ready.

Fabio

Granucci 01-17-2019 07:32 AM

is this the M series or older series? The M had a different number of sensors in the CAT, albeit the dimensions were the same. I know because I modified 456M CATs to fit my older 456 GT

Fiammenghi Engineering 01-17-2019 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Granucci (Post 733217)
is this the M series or older series? The M had a different number of sensors in the CAT, albeit the dimensions were the same. I know because I modified 456M CATs to fit my older 456 GT

Hi Rik,

my friend have the 456GT, i thouthg tha tth eonly difference wsas the connections, flanges on GT and pipes on the M, because fon the spare parts catalogue apparently lambda positions and number are the same...
Do you have pictures of that, please?

Fabio

Granucci 01-18-2019 12:31 PM

I would be hard pressed on this particular item to produce pictures as my mechanic, the well respected and well known Brian Crall [Brian on this site] performed the procedure. I had burned out two of the four exhaust manifolds, which resulted in the respective CAT being fried. He researched and found the only difference was the extra sensor [The map and use of the sensor was in bed to the computer] was an easy weld over to modify to my earlier GT series. Losing that sensor posed no problem for adaption to the older, but migrating an older CAT to the M series would of course been more a problem.

I have tons of pics related to the Mondial T 348 rebuild etc. but very little regarding the 456. The only reason, and I don't know why else you are attempting this modification, to back fill the M series to the older GT is availability or a reliable part and/or cost. M has a greater number of parts vs older. They modified the engine timing to be old school method rather than use the pattern in the older GT: has zero issue with the hardware of CAT and Manifold.

Seems an expensive modification to me, to convert this way when IF the CAT is the only problem a new core, to the older M CAT used shell can be performed.

Perhaps I'm missing something....is the conversion supplying some other perceived need?

tazandjan 01-21-2019 08:37 AM

Fabio's 6-1 headers and 200 series cats will make a 456/456M sound like a 599 GTO and unleash a bunch of free horsepower. Astounding results on 550s and especially 575Ms, plus for normal 599 GTBs.

Fiammenghi Engineering 01-21-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 733243)
Fabio's 6-1 headers and 200 series cats will make a 456/456M sound like a 599 GTO and unleash a bunch of free horsepower. Astounding results on 550s and especially 575Ms, plus for normal 599 GTBs.

Yes Terry that's correct, the 6-1 headers and 200 series cats will make a 456/456M sound like a 599 GTO os as the 550-575 with same headers.
My friend will purchase the 6-1 headers with 200 cps CAT and will tests also my centre double H-pipes, at back he have my mufflers, than at the end he will test the same system of the 550-575 in his 456.

Fiammenghi Engineering 01-21-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granucci (Post 733229)
I would be hard pressed on this particular item to produce pictures as my mechanic, the well respected and well known Brian Crall [Brian on this site] performed the procedure. I had burned out two of the four exhaust manifolds, which resulted in the respective CAT being fried. He researched and found the only difference was the extra sensor [The map and use of the sensor was in bed to the computer] was an easy weld over to modify to my earlier GT series. Losing that sensor posed no problem for adaption to the older, but migrating an older CAT to the M series would of course been more a problem.

I have tons of pics related to the Mondial T 348 rebuild etc. but very little regarding the 456. The only reason, and I don't know why else you are attempting this modification, to back fill the M series to the older GT is availability or a reliable part and/or cost. M has a greater number of parts vs older. They modified the engine timing to be old school method rather than use the pattern in the older GT: has zero issue with the hardware of CAT and Manifold.

Seems an expensive modification to me, to convert this way when IF the CAT is the only problem a new core, to the older M CAT used shell can be performed.

Perhaps I'm missing something....is the conversion supplying some other perceived need?

Sorry Rik, i don't want to do a conversion, i want to make a complete new 6-1 headers system with 2 new modern big 200 cps metallic CAT, the same that i use for the 550-575.
The only reason for i spoken about the M series and the older GT, is becasue i want to do a system for each of those cars, and those cars have different connection types, in order to give the option for all the 456 owners to install that, obviously if they want ...

Kinldy

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering 06-05-2019 04:56 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Hello at all,
During the installation of my system on the 456 GT i found a clash bethween the exit tube of the left CAT and the chassis, the car body in that point have a bulge, we are in the pedals area, the body is a little bit diffrent from the 550-575 in this point, i think due to this is a 4 seats car, Factory moved a little bit forward the front passengers, then wanted additional space for pedals.

I modified the pipe of the CAT and i updated my welding mask with this point and i added the end point of the original CATs, in order to be able to reproduce those part for eventual future clients.
With this update of my mask equipment, now, i can do all the exhaust system for both 456GT and 456M.
Following the pictures of the two extension pipes for the 456 GT that i did for coupling between my 200 cps CATs and the centre section (original or my have the same interfaces).

Note: my headers and CAT are able to fit on LHD cars, not for the RHD cars.

RHD cars:
starting to the hypotesis that in RHD cars the steering shaft is in the opposite position in respect to the simmetrical plane of the car body, in my 3D CAD model i have a clash between steering shaft and the right CAT, then the solution is to move the two CATs under the car, where it was the originals, and install two simple pipes from the 6-1 merge point to the CATs.