Ferrari 550 Gasoline Smell. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Ferrari 550 Gasoline Smell.

Hello All,
I have a Ferrari 550 (2001) and this summer I noticed that every time I fill up my car with gasoline there is a strong smell of gasoline in my garage. There is no smell in the cabin while I'm driving. It starts to smell after the car has been immobilized and is parked in my garage. I noticed that the odor gradually subsides as I use the my car and the level of gasoline in my tank declines. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the cause?
Thank you for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 192
Nick, I'm not the most knowledgeable on the 550, more familiar with 575. Since you have received minimal responses here suggest you do a internet search on "550 fuel smell". This may lead you to different forums. Some 550's as they age do have a deterioration of rubber at the gas tank/fuel pump area accounting for fuel smell. It's something that likely needs to be addressed. There should be plenty of information regarding this issue that pops up with a few searches.
Should you need further assistance feel free to PM and I will further direct you.
Good luck,
Bill
FL
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,191
Nick, as Bill was alluding to, this issue with the 550 is well known, but it can come from a number of causes, and just about all of them are related to the different connections on the tank itself. Here are a few likely suspects:

1. Rollover valves on top of the tank (probably the most common)

2. Cracked fuel pump covers (2nd most common)

3. Hose from filler neck to fuel tank cracked or loose.

4. Crack in the tank itself (very unlikely, but it happened to one owner)

Almost all require the tank to be removed, although if you're a masochist and contortionist, you might be able to replace the rollover valves by just pulling the tank to the rear. You'll probably shed a little blood in the process too....

The most common method of diagnosing the problem is to pressurise the system with a smoke machine, and look for smoke coming out where it's not supposed to Most modern garages have these smoke machines as they're frequently used to diagnose emissions systems issues.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much gentlemen. This is very helpful. I will get these issues checked out. On another note, this summer I also noticed that my door handles, window switches and hood release parts are starting to become sticky. I thought that the sticky parts issue was common for the 355 model. Is this a common issue for 550s as well? If so, is "Sticky No More" the best solution or are there other alternatives?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550Nick View Post
Thank you very much gentlemen. This is very helpful. I will get these issues checked out. On another note, this summer I also noticed that my door handles, window switches and hood release parts are starting to become sticky. I thought that the sticky parts issue was common for the 355 model. Is this a common issue for 550s as well? If so, is "Sticky No More" the best solution or are there other alternatives?
Nick, it was nice of John to comment, he's one of the best when addressing 550 issues.
As for the sticky problem. Common to most Ferrari models. In my opinion there is only one solution and that is Dave at StickyRX. Dave I believe owns a 355 too. I have used both services and there is no comparison. You will likely pay a little more with StickyRX but you will not be disappointed and not need their service again for the same part. And they will smother you with customer service.
Bill
FL

Dave Lelonek
Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions
stickyrxrs.com
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 127
Nick, the way you describe the problem suggests the float valve gaskets are leaking. They have been superseded to a new part number, 195049

It is not necessary to completely remove the tank but you must pull it to the rear as far as possible to get the forward most valve out.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-d...la-a-gall.html

Maranello Skunk Works Team Member
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, John, Bill and Ferrari Driver. You guys have been very helpful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode