• 1 Post By George Vosburgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 435
Ferrari 599 Cat Bypass Pipes

Hello Guys,
for sure you know that there are many manufacturers of cat bypass pipe for the 599 Fiorano, and you know that I not like to copy the others ....
I seen that all the manufacturers make the same design, i npo want to tell if is ba dor not, but are approx uniforms ...
I did a design 1.5 year ago a little bit different i wanted make a linear design and remove the two shorter bends ... , i sold three kits on 2016 (one in Hungary and two in Dubai), pipes it was installed correctly but discovered that the "under exhaust plate" can't be reinstall because clashed with my pipes.
The "under exhaust plate" (see attached spare parts table) is made by 1 mm steel plates, is very light manufactured and not hadr structural.
I proposed to my clients to take it back, but they decided to maintain my pipes and remove the plate.

For my side, i decided to do a new "under exhaust plate", able install instead the original for permit the installation of my cat bypass pipes.

I designed the "under exhaust plate" using as reference the moment of inertia of the cross section (dimensions taken by myself on the original) , in order to maintain the same rigidity of the original, also if she is no tstructural, if you see as is connectet to the frame you will be smile ....
I made it by 1.2 mm Thk SS 304, as per attached picutres.
On following pictures is showed th emold tha ti did for make the relief around the fixing holes, the relief is necessary becasue in the frame there are the protruding threaded nuts where the bolts will be fixed.
As soon my plate will be black painted as the original, she will be like the original ....

After taken the cad model of the 599 engine and chassis, I redesigned the pipes and I also make a detail on my my cat bypass pipes, that i not showed on the drawings because i'm worried that something manufacturer can copy me.... as it were in past ....
Obviously when i will post the real parts manufactured, will be show, is and easy thing but nobody have thought for reduce the problem generate by .... bla bla lbla ....

Sorry if my english is not so good, but i hope to be clear.

Thanks at all will read ....

Fabio
Attached Images

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hello guys,
the first set of CAT bypass pipes is ready, the second is on welding, next monday will be ready.
I made them of 65 x 1.2 mm pipe but i make the extremities with the same diameter of the original CAT 63.5 mm in order to have perfectly fit whit the originals centre pipes.
I inserted also a cross pipes for prevent the drone inside the cabin, this cross pipe is made of AISI 321 flexible pipe, is not a commercial product, a specialized company did for me as per my request dimensions.
Pipes are light, weight is 1.8 Kg each.

My set is composed by following:
- Two pipes
- One cross flexible pipes
- Two clamps for the cross pipe
- One new SS lower plate

Best Regards

Fabio
Attached Images

George Vosburgh likes this.

Fiammenghi Engineering
post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

Some pictures of the assembly jig.
Note: i do the design my jig equipments on CAD, usually i not make the jig directly on the original parts ....

Fabio
Attached Images

Fiammenghi Engineering

post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Hello guys,
the first set of CAT bypass pipes is ready, the second is on welding, next monday will be ready.
I made them of 65 x 1.2 mm pipe but i make the extremities with the same diameter of the original CAT 63.5 mm in order to have perfectly fit whit the originals centre pipes.
I inserted also a cross pipes for prevent the drone inside the cabin, this cross pipe is made of AISI 321 flexible pipe, is not a commercial product, a specialized company did for me as per my request dimensions.
Pipes are light, weight is 1.8 Kg each.

My set is composed by following:
- Two pipes
- One cross flexible pipes
- Two clamps for the cross pipe
- One new SS lower plate

Best Regards

Fabio
Ciao Fabio,

I'm curious, why was Type 321 stainless steel selected for the flexible cross pipe? It is very similar to Type 316, except that it has added Ti, designed to stabilize the metal in high temperature service (<450C), and particularly during welding, so that the stainless steel retains its full corrosion resistance. It's mechanical properties are identical to Type 316 stainless steel.

Was Type 316 stainless steel used for the CAT bypass pipes as in your other exhaust designs?

Saluti,
Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Ciao Fabio,

I'm curious, why was Type 321 stainless steel selected for the flexible cross pipe? It is very similar to Type 316, except that it has added Ti, designed to stabilize the metal in high temperature service (<450C), and particularly during welding, so that the stainless steel retains its full corrosion resistance. It's mechanical properties are identical to Type 316 stainless steel.

Was Type 316 stainless steel used for the CAT bypass pipes as in your other exhaust designs?

Saluti,
Gianni
Ciao Gianni,

The flexible cross pipe is made in SS 321 because the company that did for me utilize this material for that products, at the two extremity they welded two little pipes of 304L for fit with my pipes.
In my products i use generally the SS grade 304L, and the 316L only for the outer pipe of the tails, this for have better corrosion resistance on the time.
For the 599 i'm using the grade SS 409 OD 65x1.2 pipe, i used for the extension pipes on the CAT, for the CAT bypass pipes and for the back mufflers.

The choice for the SS 409 OD 65 x 1.2 pipe it was driven by different reasons, my bending company was equipped for this pipe dimension, I felt this diameter right for my project, and i found on a market only the 409, that is the material utilized by the original equipment of the sports cars, then i think that is ok.
However I had to purchased as minimum 1 "package" directly by the steelworks (Terninox SpA), the package it was 237 m of pipe ....

Probably in the future if i wil need more pipes they can make me in the material i want .... perhaps

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Garage
Very impressive Fabio! I will look for it on the website.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vosburgh View Post
Very impressive Fabio! I will look for it on the website.
Hello George ,

thanks for your appreciation.

at the moment on my website it is not updated and those parts ar enot showed because a new website is under developing and shortly will be upload the new and removed the old.
I do some parts that are not showed on website... sorry for this temporary empty.

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode