550 Throttle Position Sensor % - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Ferrari Life Posts: 2
550 Throttle Position Sensor %

/de-lurk

Hello all!

My search kung-fu failed me. We have a 2000 550 in the family. It was throwing IAC codes (high idle) turns out TPS wasn't reliably seeing 0.0% Fixed!

HOWEVER, pedal to the floor, I see ~74.9% max PID... I'm used to 100% on other cars... UH... being a Ferrari, is 100% something other than 100%? Or do I need to investigate more more.

THANK YOU in advance,

WL

\re-lurk
WhiteLightning is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Fiammenghi Engineering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ITALY
Ferrari Life Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
/de-lurk

Hello all!

My search kung-fu failed me. We have a 2000 550 in the family. It was throwing IAC codes (high idle) turns out TPS wasn't reliably seeing 0.0% Fixed!

HOWEVER, pedal to the floor, I see ~74.9% max PID... I'm used to 100% on other cars... UH... being a Ferrari, is 100% something other than 100%? Or do I need to investigate more more.

THANK YOU in advance,

WL

\re-lurk
Hello,

same i discovered when i had my past 550 .... i thought could be a problem of my car .... i did a little modification on the pedal in order to use all the 100% of the throttle.

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
Website: http://fiammenghiengineering.it
Fiammenghi Engineering is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Wow! Good to hear I am not crazy! (well, not about this at least). Will investigate more motion of the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Hello,

same i discovered when i had my past 550 .... i thought could be a problem of my car .... i did a little modification on the pedal in order to use all the 100% of the throttle.

Fabio
WhiteLightning is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
cribbj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,185
Seems to be a common problem with 550's.

Not only check your TPS, but have a look at the actual butterflies in the throttle bodies. Mine were only opening perhaps 75%, so as Fabio indicated, the pedal travel needs adjusting. I've seen/heard this from several other 550 owners also.

Don't know if the same is happening with 456's and the F355's but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Arguably, the engine may not need that extra TB opening to pass the required air, but the added restriction of a 75% open vs 100% open TB isn't going to help the power output.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
cribbj is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 04:10 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Fiammenghi Engineering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ITALY
Ferrari Life Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Seems to be a common problem with 550's.

Not only check your TPS, but have a look at the actual butterflies in the throttle bodies. Mine were only opening perhaps 75%, so as Fabio indicated, the pedal travel needs adjusting. I've seen/heard this from several other 550 owners also.

Don't know if the same is happening with 456's and the F355's but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Arguably, the engine may not need that extra TB opening to pass the required air, but the added restriction of a 75% open vs 100% open TB isn't going to help the power output.
Jhon, in fact i didn't felt big differences after throttle adjustment, and i discovered that casually one day on the ca rlift my father push all pedal mean time i check the throttle and it was not fully open!


Arguably, the engine may not need that extra TB opening to pass the required air, but the added restriction of a 75% open vs 100% open TB isn't going to help the power output. 100%agree

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
Website: http://fiammenghiengineering.it
Fiammenghi Engineering is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
cribbj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,185
Fabio, I didn't feel any difference either, but as an engineer I felt better knowing there was less restriction with the butterflies fully open.

However you & I both know the flow characteristics of a butterfly valve and they're very nonlinear

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
cribbj is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Fiammenghi Engineering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ITALY
Ferrari Life Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Fabio, I didn't feel any difference either, but as an engineer I felt better knowing there was less restriction with the butterflies fully open.

However you & I both know the flow characteristics of a butterfly valve and they're very nonlinear
Ciao John,

agree with you 100 % for both considerations ....
also i would like that the things work in perfect way, also if the the last 25% of throttle i have not heard differences ...

Kindly

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
Website: http://fiammenghiengineering.it
Fiammenghi Engineering is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale