Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Modern V12s: 456, 550, 575, 599, 612, 812 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v12s-456-550/)
-   -   550 Throttle Position Sensor % (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v12s-456-550/57009-550-throttle-position-sensor.html)

WhiteLightning 08-20-2017 12:16 PM

550 Throttle Position Sensor %

/de-lurk

Hello all!

My search kung-fu failed me. We have a 2000 550 in the family. It was throwing IAC codes (high idle) turns out TPS wasn't reliably seeing 0.0% Fixed!

HOWEVER, pedal to the floor, I see ~74.9% max PID... I'm used to 100% on other cars... UH... being a Ferrari, is 100% something other than 100%? Or do I need to investigate more more.

THANK YOU in advance,

WL

\re-lurk

Fiammenghi Engineering 08-20-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning (Post 720153)
/de-lurk

Hello all!

My search kung-fu failed me. We have a 2000 550 in the family. It was throwing IAC codes (high idle) turns out TPS wasn't reliably seeing 0.0% Fixed!

HOWEVER, pedal to the floor, I see ~74.9% max PID... I'm used to 100% on other cars... UH... being a Ferrari, is 100% something other than 100%? Or do I need to investigate more more.

THANK YOU in advance,

WL

\re-lurk

Hello,

same i discovered when i had my past 550 .... i thought could be a problem of my car .... i did a little modification on the pedal in order to use all the 100% of the throttle.

Fabio

WhiteLightning 08-21-2017 12:52 PM

Wow! Good to hear I am not crazy! (well, not about this at least). Will investigate more motion of the throttle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering (Post 720177)
Hello,

same i discovered when i had my past 550 .... i thought could be a problem of my car .... i did a little modification on the pedal in order to use all the 100% of the throttle.

Fabio

cribbj 08-21-2017 11:50 PM

Seems to be a common problem with 550's.

Not only check your TPS, but have a look at the actual butterflies in the throttle bodies. Mine were only opening perhaps 75%, so as Fabio indicated, the pedal travel needs adjusting. I've seen/heard this from several other 550 owners also.

Don't know if the same is happening with 456's and the F355's but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Arguably, the engine may not need that extra TB opening to pass the required air, but the added restriction of a 75% open vs 100% open TB isn't going to help the power output.

Fiammenghi Engineering 08-22-2017 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cribbj (Post 720234)
Seems to be a common problem with 550's.

Not only check your TPS, but have a look at the actual butterflies in the throttle bodies. Mine were only opening perhaps 75%, so as Fabio indicated, the pedal travel needs adjusting. I've seen/heard this from several other 550 owners also.

Don't know if the same is happening with 456's and the F355's but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Arguably, the engine may not need that extra TB opening to pass the required air, but the added restriction of a 75% open vs 100% open TB isn't going to help the power output.

Jhon, in fact i didn't felt big differences after throttle adjustment, and i discovered that casually one day on the ca rlift my father push all pedal mean time i check the throttle and it was not fully open!

Arguably, the engine may not need that extra TB opening to pass the required air, but the added restriction of a 75% open vs 100% open TB isn't going to help the power output. 100%agree

cribbj 08-22-2017 10:25 AM

Fabio, I didn't feel any difference either, but as an engineer I felt better knowing there was less restriction with the butterflies fully open.

However you & I both know the flow characteristics of a butterfly valve and they're very nonlinear :)

Fiammenghi Engineering 08-22-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cribbj (Post 720298)
Fabio, I didn't feel any difference either, but as an engineer I felt better knowing there was less restriction with the butterflies fully open.

However you & I both know the flow characteristics of a butterfly valve and they're very nonlinear :)

Ciao John,

agree with you 100 % for both considerations ....
also i would like that the things work in perfect way, also if the the last 25% of throttle i have not heard differences ...

Kindly

Fabio