• 1 Post By tazandjan
  • 1 Post By garyjpaterson
  • 1 Post By garyjpaterson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-24-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
550 Technical Info Request

Hi all!

Bit of an odd request but I'm thinking about making a 3d model of the 550 Maranello to implement into the Assetto Corsa simulator, and am looking for the most accurate technical information in order to replicate it as closely as possible.

Throughout my brief google searching, I've been directed here with seemingly great knowledge on hand.

I'll list below the type of info I'm looking for, I obviously don't expect to get all of it, but every little helps!
  • Actual weight (quoted 1690kg Kerb weight, does this include a driver/fuel?)
  • Actual weight distribution (again, quoted as 50/50 though I read this was a little optimistic)
  • Fuel tank location (position relative to wheels or something - eg. 300mm up from ground, 200mm in front of rear axle etc.)
  • Suspension Geometry drawings (any sort of technical drawings would be incredibly useful!)
  • Factory alignment details
  • Center of gravity height (bit of a stretch I know, but thought I should ask just in case. After all, I did find this data for a Transit van!)
  • Unsprung weight (again, long shot...)
  • Spring rates front/rear (with proper suspension geometry details I can work out the motion ratio and wheelrates)
  • Tyre/Wheel sizes (225 or 255 for fronts? Ferrari's site says 225/40, Michelin says 235/45 but elsewhere I've read 255/40!)
  • Tyre pressures too
  • Steering ratio (I understand its supposed to be variable, but I cannot simulate this so the nearest static ratio would be great (I've heard 13.8, but not sure if this is accurate) I know its 2.1 turns lock to lock)
  • Gear ratios (I think I have these but confirmation would be nice)
  • Torque/power curves (at the wheel, not crank. Dyno charts would be great)
  • Counter-torque or 'coast torque' curve (can be seen on a Dyno too)
  • Diff settings (power/coast lock% etc)
  • Aero details (I understand Cd is supposed to be 0.33, anyone have lift/downforce coefficients?)
  • ABS and TC, are there multiple modes?
  • Any performance data, telemetry etc (lateral acceleration G, braking distances etc.)

That's all I can think of at the moment!

I'm not in any rush, I have quite a few projects on the go at the moment but its always nice to have something going on in the background. I've linked my page below to show some of my other projects to show the quality of work you can expect, but as I said I'm not planning on starting the 3d model anytime soon, just in the 'research' stage just now.

https://www.facebook.com/gpatersondesign/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Bit of a change of plan - Literally a few days after making plans for the 550, I got contacted by a well known modding group who want to recreate the 2004 FIA GT championship cars, including the 550GTC and 575GTS.

So whilst making the street 550 is still a personal project, its been put on hold slightly and I will instead be making the two race cars first. This does mean I don't necessarily have any need to gather technical info now, as I'm part of a team and we have someone doing that themselves (and will do a better job than me anyway.)

Nevertheless, I'm still very interested in creating the 550M, just slightly postponed. Any of the above info would still be useful - Although I did find the owners manuals incredibly useful! Had great technical drawings of the suspension which were just enough to be able to work out the proper geometry, so thats a good start.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjpaterson View Post
Although I did find the owners manuals incredibly useful! Had great technical drawings of the suspension which were just enough to be able to work out the proper geometry, so thats a good start.
Hello Gary,

You can find schematics for all Ferrari 550 parts for free at:

https://ferrparts.com/diagrams/resul...-maranello/all

This is a real gold mine of information.

Regards,
Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Hello Gary,

You can find schematics for all Ferrari 550 parts for free at:

https://ferrparts.com/diagrams/resul...-maranello/all

This is a real gold mine of information.

Regards,
Gianni
Thanks man! GReat images, pretty tricky to work from though as they don'y have any dimensions and the fact they are 3d makes extrapolating any data a bit difficult.

These images were just about enough to get by though!
post #5 of 20 Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Quick update, started the main body shape, still in the process of refining the proportions/surfaces so won't bother posting any pics yet.
Here is a pic of a wheel I mocked up though:

Anyway, I wanted to talk torque curves. I watched Harry's video last night (link below if you haven't seen it), and noticed as he flicked through the Press Brouchure that there is a small torque/power curve.

This is a screenshot of it. Does anyone have access to this brochure? I'd love to see this clearly. There is one on ebay, might chuck in an offer, could be some good details in it.

I also spotted this torque curve from a dyno on this forum from @tazandjan - can anyone clarify if this is power from the wheel and not corrected to power from the crank? It also says one is OEM pipes, on straight pipes - which is which?

Cheers
post #6 of 20 Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
RWHP uncorrected and the one with more hp had the center resonator replaced with straight pipes.
garyjpaterson likes this.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-14-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Awesome cheers, that makes it easy then!
post #8 of 20 Old 09-04-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Making a bit of progress on this now. Just finishing up the exterior details before branching off and making the modifications/additions required for the GTS version. Really a joy to model this, really love the clean lines and taught surfaces, an absolute classic.

Below is a gallery of the progress so far if anyone is interested, here are a few highlights (remember this is still a work in progress, lots left to do!);

Progress Album: https://imgur.com/a/XnmR1

I have a few questions regarding certain aspects, if anyone has any info then please chime in!

Colours - Anyone have a list (and examples if possible) of factory colours available from new?

Aero - Using the reference Cd figure of 0.33, x the frontal area (Just over 2m^2 in my measurements), I'm struggling to reach 200mph on level ground. Anyone have any idea really how fast these things can go, can they actually reach 199mph? I was topping out around 185-190mph I think using the correct power curve, which seems a little low.

Wheel diameter - Anyone know the actual outer rim diameter of the standard 5-spoke rims? I know they are 18inch, but the actual diameter should be larger and I'm not sure the size I've made them is correct.

Springs - Anyone have details regarding spring rates? I haven't got the details with me at the moment but I found some info in the owners manual but I'm unsure whether I have converted the units properly (NM required), as well as worked out the motion ratios/wheelrates. Any idea unsprung weight either?

I also purchased the press brochure on ebay, has some really high quality photos and great info too. It mentioned something about constant vertical load, presumably meaning downforce or more likely lack of lift. Anyone have any details on this? I'm guessing they mean if its constant then lift is almost zero, otherwise it'd increase with speed...

Anyway, glad to be working on this now. Progress on the road version will stop soon to focus on the racing one, but I'll come back to it at a later date.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-10-2017, 01:11 PM
bay
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 155
some information about my site Ferrari - 550 Maranello but in french !

Present : Ghibli III V6 3.0 330 cv Grigio Maratea 571
Past :550 Maranello 1/98 110069 Ass 27389
http://www.bernardsport.be/maranello/
Registre 550
post #10 of 20 Old 09-11-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
some information about my site Ferrari - 550 Maranello but in french !
Thanks, I'll have a look and see what I can find! Spotted some info on the colour codes, so its already proven helpful - thanks!
post #11 of 20 Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Just an update in case anyone here is interested - progress of the GTS is going pretty well, most of the main areas are modelled both interior and exterior, just tuning into all the small details now! Loads of photos of the progress: https://imgur.com/a/bHTv5

Can't wait to get it finished and move onto the 575

post #12 of 20 Old 10-30-2017, 05:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,191
Thanks for keeping us updated Gary. The illustrations are really superb!

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #13 of 20 Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, my work on the 550 is now more or less finished - now its moved onto the team for some final polish/tweaks, mostly to textures, and general optimisation. Hopefully it will be coming out in the next few weeks, fingers crossed!

As always, bumper album of the whole creation progress is here: https://imgur.com/a/bHTv5

Here are some highlights!

Lots of fun physics testing - this is against the official Maserati MC12, though we are 99% sure it is not in 2004 specification like ours are, instead looking like a neutered, limited 2009 spec.

Nice to get a good look round the interior - can't get away with anything these days with VR, have to model all areas!

Liveries being built as we speak (not by me), only fictional brands/logos to avoid any copyright infringement, though we will release templates that allow anyone to design their own liveries as they please.

Testing the collision all works properly

And of course, just starting on the 575 now, shouldn't take nearly as long since much of the leg work has already been done. In the early stages of matching the unique body shape before grafting it into the existing shell I've made for the 550. Not much to show quite yet

post #14 of 20 Old 12-07-2017, 06:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,191
That's just super, Gary! I'm not a gamer, but those images/clips are SO realistic!

Thanks again for sharing.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #15 of 20 Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Been a pleasure to work on - can't wait to hear what they sound like next! Getting custom SFX for it, should be brilliant to listen to!
post #16 of 20 Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 296
Adding sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjpaterson View Post
Been a pleasure to work on - can't wait to hear what they sound like next! Getting custom SFX for it, should be brilliant to listen to!
Hello Gary,

Adding sound would make your work perfect! My favourite racing 550 can be found at:

I get chills from this shrieking 550 V12 each time I watch this video.

Great work!

Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-27-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Its out by the way! The RSS GT Pack (racesimstudio.com/shop), along with 2 other cars (representing the Lister Storm and Dodge Viper), with more to come in the new year.

This is probably the best representation of the SFX we have got for our cars, showing some great trackside audio:

And if anyone wants some onboard (from the Lister) and a decent review, check this out:

post #18 of 20 Old 02-26-2018, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

575 almost complete now too, just final details to add and get liveried up. Great to see these two together again!

post #19 of 20 Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Brilliant Gary; when can I drive them?

Though the black car ought to have been TdF blu, like my avatar ;-)

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #20 of 20 Old 02-28-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Brilliant Gary; when can I drive them?

Though the black car ought to have been TdF blu, like my avatar ;-)
The 550 is ready to drive, 575 coming very soon: February update: Formula Hybrid 2018, RSS GT and rF2! - RaceSimStudio

And yeah, the blue looks stunning - when I get round to completing the road cars, that for sure will be an option! For the race cars we are looking towards the real liveries for inspiration.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode