Immobiliser (?) issue - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Immobiliser (?) issue

I went out for a short drive this afternoon. My car started immediately, despite not having been driven for around 3 weeks - battery good and strong. After about five minutes, I stopped. When I came to start it again, less than a minute later, it was dead.

The RAC mechanic came along and tried all the obvious things, but to no avail. The battery was fine and he tested the fobs which were both working OK, but just not doing anything. The doors would not lock either and the little red light on the dashboard stayed off all the time.

Harvey, Carrs' (my local Ferrari agent) chief technician, dropped by to take a look (he was collecting a car from a customer nearby), but he couldn't get it to work either. As we were waiting for the tow truck to arrive, Harvey pressed the fob again (for the hundredth time this afternoon!) and there was a loud click as the doors locked. He put the key in the ignition, turned it, and the engine started!

Coincidentally, they have had a 456 in recently with the same problem: it wouldn't start for no obvious reason, but, equally mysteriously, an hour later it started just like normal.

I have left the car with Carrs for them to check it over, but it is always difficult to find the cause when a fault fixes itself. So I wondered whether any one else has had a similar problem, either with a 550 or a 456?

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2017, 01:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
John,
Thanks for the information. And I can appreciate your frustration with a favorite car not behaving!

-kim

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
I think as our cars age and the elements (particularly in environments like the UK) start taking their toll on the already dodgy electrical connections, we'll see more & more of these unexplainable electrical gremlins.

I think the only way to ward these off, is to periodically take the electrical connections apart, clean the contacts with your potion of choice and remate them.

Deoxit is very good, and some people swear by good old WD-40. I'd get recommendations from RS (Radio Spares) there in the UK for what they think.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
I think as our cars age and the elements (particularly in environments like the UK) start taking their toll on the already dodgy electrical connections, we'll see more & more of these unexplainable electrical gremlins.

I think the only way to ward these off, is to periodically take the electrical connections apart, clean the contacts with your potion of choice and remate them.

Deoxit is very good, and some people swear by good old WD-40. I'd get recommendations from RS (Radio Spares) there in the UK for what they think.
I think you are definitely on the right track. Further investigations has identified that there is a problem in the fusebox area of my 550. No such issue with the 456, however, which remains a complete mystery.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode