2002 575 offered without reserve in Arizona - Page 2 - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
If you want a manual Maranello to enjoy driving (which sounds like you, Clyde), buy a 550. Much cheaper, simply because not so rare. I cannot believe that a 575 is 50% better than a 550 to drive and to some eyes (mine included) it is a better looking car, inside and out.
That's a good point Bluebottle, though I have to say I prefer the looks of the 575 over the 550. In my opinion the front lights are prettier and the interior is a major step up in style compared to the 550, but that's just my personal opinion. Certainly, however, its questionable whether the car is worth 50% more.
Clyde
tifosi_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 46 Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Ciao John,

you advise correct ...
I had 550 in past and now F1 HGTC, excluded the inside and the outer look (that is a personal taste) I found a big difference only on the handling due to the package and to the 19" wheel, i think like John if you compared 550 and 575 manual the only improvement is the syncronization of 575 that is more better that 550, but no one owners of 575 manual who i asked about it told me the difference ..

Fabio
I guess that would be the smartest and easiest way to go Fabio, though like you I prefer the look of the 575 over the 550, particularly in the interior. My 575 had 18" wheels anyway (Barchetta rims) , and that's one of the reasons I lowered it, but if the 550 has 18" rims then there might be no need to to do because it may be lower to start.
Clyde
tifosi_ is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cars located in Alberta
Ferrari Life Posts: 296
550 vs 575M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
I guess that would be the smartest and easiest way to go Fabio, though like you I prefer the look of the 575 over the 550, particularly in the interior. My 575 had 18" wheels anyway (Barchetta rims) , and that's one of the reasons I lowered it, but if the 550 has 18" rims then there might be no need to to do because it may be lower to start.
Clyde
Hello Clyde,

I just noticed your thread and had to read it all since it mirrors my search for my first Ferrari.

I started looking at the 575M and actually did a pre-purchase inspection of a BTdF with blue inserts on cuoio, a gorgeous combination in my view. I declined to purchase it because it had the paddle shift gearbox and I just could not get comfortable with spending that much money and not being completely satisfied with the driving experience.

Fast forward 3 years and found a remarkably well maintained (both mechanically and interior/exterior condition) 60,000 km 550 in a lovely colour combination (titanio grigio/rosso) at a price I just could not say "no" to, especially since I purchased a 456M GT the week before (also at a good price).

A big part of my decision to buy a 550 and not a 575M maunual was because I got frustrated trying to find a 575M manual in Canada, then when one did come up for sale, it was sold at a higher than listed price before I could contact the seller (just not enough of them in Canada). At today's USD/CDN currency exchange rate, it doesn't make sense (to me) to pay a 35% currency premium on top of a 50% 550/575M manual premium.

I, like Fabio, am a "buy-and-hold" person when I find the right item. For example, I drove my 1996 Buick Riviera out of the showroom, and not only do I still have it and never will sell it, I could drive it back into the showroom and people would think it was a new car (even with 124,000 km). I did the same with my 2010 Lotus Evora and will never sell it because it's so much fun to drive! My 2008 Bentley puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's W12 550 horses and twin turbos still give me goose bumps and luxury makes me feel like a king!

I selected the 550 over a 575M manual because at 1/3 of the price, I can have the enjoyment of owning a 2-seater V12 Ferrari with complete driving satisfaction of a manual gearbox. I do not have the driving skill or the desire to go to the track to push the car to its limit, so any performance difference between the 550/575M would be lost on me.

So there you have my vote made by my pocketbook. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, e.g., Fabio is completely satisfied with his fantastically tuned 575M F1 HGTC, but for me the manual gearbox was a must have.

Many thanks for starting this thread. I enjoyed reading every post.

Regards,
Gianni

PS I'm in the Toronto airport often, so one of these days we'll have to meet up for coffee there.

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.
Gianni is offline  
 
post #24 of 46 Old 03-11-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Hello Clyde,



I just noticed your thread and had to read it all since it mirrors my search for my first Ferrari.



I started looking at the 575M and actually did a pre-purchase inspection of a BTdF with blue inserts on cuoio, a gorgeous combination in my view. I declined to purchase it because it had the paddle shift gearbox and I just could not get comfortable with spending that much money and not being completely satisfied with the driving experience.



Fast forward 3 years and found a remarkably well maintained (both mechanically and interior/exterior condition) 60,000 km 550 in a lovely colour combination (titanio grigio/rosso) at a price I just could not say "no" to, especially since I purchased a 456M GT the week before (also at a good price).



A big part of my decision to buy a 550 and not a 575M maunual was because I got frustrated trying to find a 575M manual in Canada, then when one did come up for sale, it was sold at a higher than listed price before I could contact the seller (just not enough of them in Canada). At today's USD/CDN currency exchange rate, it doesn't make sense (to me) to pay a 35% currency premium on top of a 50% 550/575M manual premium.



I, like Fabio, am a "buy-and-hold" person when I find the right item. For example, I drove my 1996 Buick Riviera out of the showroom, and not only do I still have it and never will sell it, I could drive it back into the showroom and people would think it was a new car (even with 124,000 km). I did the same with my 2010 Lotus Evora and will never sell it because it's so much fun to drive! My 2008 Bentley puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's W12 550 horses and twin turbos still give me goose bumps and luxury makes me feel like a king!



I selected the 550 over a 575M manual because at 1/3 of the price, I can have the enjoyment of owning a 2-seater V12 Ferrari with complete driving satisfaction of a manual gearbox. I do not have the driving skill or the desire to go to the track to push the car to its limit, so any performance difference between the 550/575M would be lost on me.



So there you have my vote made by my pocketbook. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, e.g., Fabio is completely satisfied with his fantastically tuned 575M F1 HGTC, but for me the manual gearbox was a must have.



Many thanks for starting this thread. I enjoyed reading every post.



Regards,

Gianni



PS I'm in the Toronto airport often, so one of these days we'll have to meet up for coffee there.


Hi Gianni,

I just noticed your post. Quite interesting and I envy you. Unfortunately I am not one of those in a position to purchase and hold onto a Ferrari if I so desire another, its not in my budget, nor do I have room at home in my 1 car garage with front drive to keep a 2nd one unless I were to put 1 in storage. My 575M was not an HGTC unfortunately. Selling my 575M was a major decision and though I toyed with it and posted the fact that I was considering it, it actually took me over a year to go ahead with it. As soon as I sold it I already missed that car, but having said that there were things about my 575M that I did not enjoy. Prime among those was the clunky first generation (on a V12) F1 and the fact that though in normal driving it handled shifting just fine, when I took it to the track to have fun or when I wanted to drive briskly, it had a nasty habit of jumping into neutral while attempting quick shifts. I tried bringing it into both Ferrari Ontario and Daytona to have look at it but neither found anything wrong with the car, so it was just the car. I was told that the first gen just didn't like quick shifts. That was actually one of my major beefs and helped convince me it was time to sell. At the same time I had been thinking of a mid-engine Ferrari, particularly since I was enjoying track days (even though the 575 is not a track car), and since I could not afford a 458 which would have been my desire, I bought an F430 Spider. That was a surprise in itself because I had never considered the Spider, only the coupe. I actually went into a dealer looking to buy a coupe they had, but when I was disappointed with the condition of interior, the sales manager offered me the keys to a Spider they had and told me to take it out for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I was sold, that sound, the feel, I just loved it, though I am still honestly not really a convertible fan (I don't like the sun in my eyes as they are sensitive so I am gonna wear dark sunglasses). I really only drove my Spider twice before putting it in storage, once during that test drive, and the 2nd time when I picked it up to drive it home and put into my garage for winter storage. So I am very anxious for the good weather to arrive and to take it out.
Having said all that I miss the elegance and comfort of the 575M, it was a beautiful car and I loved it, and I do one day want to purchase another if I can afford to (as a keeper just like you have). Actually, based on your story, I may decide to get a 550 instead because I always wanted a Ferrari gated metal shift manual, and that would be something I would want to have and drive. True that the 575 is marginally faster and has a nicer interior, but the manual on the 550 would be a deal breaker for me over the F1 on the 575 based on my own personal experience.
Yes let's get together in the Spring, I actually work in Bramalea so not far from the airport so we can meet for lunch one day if we are both free, and go driving together on the weekend as well if you are so inclined. By the way, though I live in downtown Toronto I don't enjoy driving her in the city, and if we go driving I would much prefer driving out in the country. I am also a member of the Ferrari of America Club, and the Saturn Drives Club (and the Scuderia Ferrari Club of Toronto), so there is a chance we may have met each other already (?).
Clyde


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tifosi_ is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cars located in Alberta
Ferrari Life Posts: 296
2002 575M offered without reserve in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Interesting that the original car I started this thread about, the 2002 575M Maranello at the RM Sotheby's Arizona auction, sold for US$187,000. This shows that buyers/investors still want a low mileage car despite the problems that may result from a car staying stationary for 15 odd years. 2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello | Arizona 2017 | RM Sotheby's

...Maybe hopefully in the future the thinking of investors will change and those cars which are driven and well maintained will start to be more recognized and thought of as better investments than those which sit in the garage and don't move year after year.

Clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering;
With my thinking (probably the collector's not understand me ....) i would like to drive regulary my Ferrari putting on her a few quantity of km, obviously need maintenance but in this way (for me) the car become old in better way, without the problems that have the cars that was stopped for many years ( water rubber pipes, brake flex hoses, brake calipers exc..).

Fabio
Hello Clyde and Fabio,

This car, like the other two at the Gooding Auction, sold for less than the pre-auction minimum value estimate, which is a sign of the current market. But also, I think Clyde is on to something here: "maybe...investors will change...".

I do not think that "investors" will change, but that "typical buyers" will change. I certainly did!

The investor doesn't care about the storage deterioration, as Fabio noted about the water rubber pipes, brake flex hoses, brake calipers, etc. since they will not drive the car and do not see a 2002 575M with 201 km the same way as a typical buyer.

Obviously the original investor lost money (not so smart), so the 2nd investor will do their best to make money. Whoever bought this car will probably also put it in storage and never drive it. They will not pay to repair the water rubber pipes, brake flex hoses, brake calipers, etc. since it will increase their investment cost and decrease their return on investment, just like any other investment, e.g., stocks, bonds, collector wines, etc.

The 1999 456M GT that I recently purchased, sat idle for 10 years, but was not intended to do so, it just happened. Likewise, there was a so much cooling system deterioration that it cost $10,000 CDN ($7,500 USD) to rebuild the system (new parts would have cost about 75% more). So it's not just a matter of a car being stored for a long period of time, but just as importantly, how it was stored (with precautions or without).

Luckily my 456M GT pre-purchase inspection discovered these repair costs which allowed me to negotiate a better purchase price.

I started my Ferrari search by looking at very low mileage cars since they have a higher resale value. In the end, since I'm a buy-and-hold person and using Seth's experience of "more Ferraris are better", I concluded that buying a low mileage car at a premium price was not the best strategy for me.

So I "changed" to search for a well driven, but extremely well maintained, 550 Maranello (60,000 km) at a much lower cost. Even after my post-purchase maintenance cost of $30,000 CDN ($22,000 USD) to get it to "showroom" condition, I still saved a significant amount of money and I will DRIVE this car to my maximum enjoyment and not stuff it away in a dark garage and hope prices go up to make money on a resale.

But because I purchased this car well, with LOTS of help from people here, I could make a profit today if I sold it, and it would sell fast, because it is now in showroom condition without the need to spend $1 on it. But that's not the reason I bought it...I want to enjoy it!

I do not expect investors to change, but there are many more typical buyers, like me, that will change. Clyde, hopefully your thread will get their attention and continue this wave!

Regards,
Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.
Gianni is offline  
post #26 of 46 Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cars located in Alberta
Ferrari Life Posts: 296
550 vs 575M manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
I just went through the list of cars that will be offered by RM Sotheby's at their upcoming auction in Arizona on Jan 19-20, and see that they have a 575 listed (see attached) with an estimated sale price of US$200,000 to US$250,000 which seems quite high considering today's market. Then I noticed that the car has only 251 km on it since new! Unbelievable! So basically this means that car was ordered or taken off the lot and put right into a garage since 2002! I wonder how well a car like that would run after 15 years stationary (?), but then it leads more credence to the estimate because investors love a low mileage Ferrari. What are your thoughts?
Clyde
P.S. Incidentally the car is offered without reserve so it may go way below the estimate, or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
I guess that would be the smartest and easiest way to go Fabio, though like you I prefer the look of the 575 over the 550, particularly in the interior. My 575 had 18" wheels anyway (Barchetta rims) , and that's one of the reasons I lowered it, but if the 550 has 18" rims then there might be no need to to do because it may be lower to start.
Clyde
Hello Clyde,

I found it very interested that your thread started as "2002 575 offered without reserve in Arizona" and morphed into a "550 versus 575M manual/F1" discussion. Much like my search for my first Ferrari.

Regards,
Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.
Gianni is offline  
post #27 of 46 Old 03-11-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Hello Clyde and Fabio,



This car, like the other two at the Gooding Auction, sold for less than the pre-auction minimum value estimate, which is a sign of the current market. But also, I think Clyde is on to something here: "maybe...investors will change...".



I do not think that "investors" will change, but that "typical buyers" will change. I certainly did!



The investor doesn't care about the storage deterioration, as Fabio noted about the water rubber pipes, brake flex hoses, brake calipers, etc. since they will not drive the car and do not see a 2002 575M with 201 km the same way as a typical buyer.



Obviously the original investor lost money (not so smart), so the 2nd investor will do their best to make money. Whoever bought this car will probably also put it in storage and never drive it. They will not pay to repair the water rubber pipes, brake flex hoses, brake calipers, etc. since it will increase their investment cost and decrease their return on investment, just like any other investment, e.g., stocks, bonds, collector wines, etc.



The 1999 456M GT that I recently purchased, sat idle for 10 years, but was not intended to do so, it just happened. Likewise, there was a so much cooling system deterioration that it cost $10,000 CDN ($7,500 USD) to rebuild the system (new parts would have cost about 75% more). So it's not just a matter of a car being stored for a long period of time, but just as importantly, how it was stored (with precautions or without).



Luckily my 456M GT pre-purchase inspection discovered these repair costs which allowed me to negotiate a better purchase price.



I started my Ferrari search by looking at very low mileage cars since they have a higher resale value. In the end, since I'm a buy-and-hold person and using Seth's experience of "more Ferraris are better", I concluded that buying a low mileage car at a premium price was not the best strategy for me.



So I "changed" to search for a well driven, but extremely well maintained, 550 Maranello (60,000 km) at a much lower cost. Even after my post-purchase maintenance cost of $30,000 CDN ($22,000 USD) to get it to "showroom" condition, I still saved a significant amount of money and I will DRIVE this car to my maximum enjoyment and not stuff it away in a dark garage and hope prices go up to make money on a resale.



But because I purchased this car well, with LOTS of help from people here, I could make a profit today if I sold it, and it would sell fast, because it is now in showroom condition without the need to spend $1 on it. But that's not the reason I bought it...I want to enjoy it!



I do not expect investors to change, but there are many more typical buyers, like me, that will change. Clyde, hopefully your thread will get their attention and continue this wave!



Regards,

Gianni


Yes Gianni
That is why I think I would consider a 550 next time, because I also want to drive the car and not store it. The reason I mentioned storage was that I would need a location to keep the car offsite, not because I wouldn't drive her. I am not one who believes in buy and hold. Sure that's good for some people who look at these cars only as investment, but that's not me, I want to drive them like you.
Clyde


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tifosi_ is offline  
post #28 of 46 Old 03-11-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Hello Clyde,



I found it very interested that your thread started as "2002 575 offered without reserve in Arizona" and morphed into a "550 versus 575M manual/F1" discussion. Much like my search for my first Ferrari.



Regards,

Gianni


Yes that is interesting,
Though I have never purchased anything at auction, much less a car, I find the exotic car auction category fascinating and continue to follow it. Maybe one day when I have extra funds to play with I'll consider bidding on something, particularly if it's being offered without reserve as with the current RM Sotheby and Bonhams Amelia Island auctions.
As for the 550, I will definitely keep my eyes open for a good one and if I am lucky enough to find one I can afford, I plan to for Fabio's excellent headers and exhaust system to her.

Clyde


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tifosi_ is offline  
post #29 of 46 Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
If you want a manual Maranello to enjoy driving (which sounds like you, Clyde), buy a 550. Much cheaper, simply because not so rare. I cannot believe that a 575 is 50% better than a 550 to drive and to some eyes (mine included) it is a better looking car, inside and out.
I have owned both a 550 and a manual 575. Personally it was the earlier car that I preferred and would purchase again.
Boxer is offline  
post #30 of 46 Old 03-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
Another reason for buying a 550 instead of a 575 if you want a manual: as well as being cheaper, there are more of them, so you are more likely to find a good one / one in your preferred colours, as there will be more 550s available from which to choose.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #31 of 46 Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
John- 3083 vs 246, yup. Plus a few conversions.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #32 of 46 Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
John- 3083 vs 246, yup. Plus a few conversions.
246 is, of course, a magic number

Curious coincidence to find it almost next to 308

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #33 of 46 Old 03-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Yup, I liked mine when I had her (02984) in 1975.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #34 of 46 Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Owner
 
intrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga Springs NY
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I have owned both a 550 and a manual 575. Personally it was the earlier car that I preferred and would purchase again.
now that's curious - why, Boxer?

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
intrepid is offline  
post #35 of 46 Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
now that's curious - why, Boxer?
Because he is a man of good judgement.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #36 of 46 Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 AM
Owner
 
intrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga Springs NY
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Because he is a man of good judgement.
smotty pentz

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
intrepid is offline  
post #37 of 46 Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
now that's curious - why, Boxer?
The 550 I had just felt like the more sorted car. The gearbox was smoother (both were manuals) and the ride better. The 575 had the Fiorano pack and on reflection it probably made the car too hard/stiff.
Boxer is offline  
post #38 of 46 Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 AM
Owner
 
intrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga Springs NY
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The 550 I had just felt like the more sorted car. The gearbox was smoother (both were manuals) and the ride better. The 575 had the Fiorano pack and on reflection it probably made the car too hard/stiff.
Perhaps Taz can comment on possible differences in the manual transmissions. But as to ride, even with FHP, only in 'sport' does the suspension of my 575 become really firm; in 'auto' the ride soaks up even rough pavement fairly well

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
intrepid is offline  
post #39 of 46 Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Really depends on the individual Maranello and how roughly the transmission had been treated. The 575M gearbox is tougher with triple cone (two synch rings and a dog clutch) for the lower gears. Also depends on how well the clutch is working and what kind of transaxle fluid is being used. Most users that have tried both preferred the 575M transaxle in the reports I have read.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #40 of 46 Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Owner
 
intrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saratoga Springs NY
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Yes that is interesting, Though I have never purchased anything at auction, much less a car, I find the exotic car auction category fascinating and continue to follow it. Maybe one day when I have extra funds to play with I'll consider bidding on something, particularly if it's being offered without reserve as with the current RM Sotheby and Bonhams Amelia Island auctions. As for the 550, I will definitely keep my eyes open for a good one and if I am lucky enough to find one I can afford, I plan to for Fabio's excellent headers and exhaust system to her. Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Candidly, Clyde, I would never - ever - buy a car at auction, unless it had a thoroughly documented service history. Only once was I tempted, at one of Christie's last automobile auctions before exiting the business that David Gooding took over. In fact it may have been at their last auction in Tarrytown NY, where I first met David. Of all the cars in the tents, and there were Ferraris, Porsches, a Lambo etc, there was only one that I really liked AND could afford, a 1939 Packard Super 8 rumble-seat roadster. In the tent I asked David if there was service history on the car. He asked me to meet him at the van that was their office. There he showed me a packet of receipts a good 1 1/2 inches thick, dating to first delivery and the break-in first service. Total of the verified service costs, just under a quarter of a million dollars. In service costs. Come to the auction and I'm sitting next to my friend, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Saratoga Automobile Museum who recruited me to the Board, where I learn that he wants to bid on and buy the Packard. sumbitch! Only one other bidder and Lewis wins the Packard: under $70,000. I consoled myself with the thought that the Packard wasn't blue.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
intrepid is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale