"Slow Down" light? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
"Slow Down" light?

It seems weird to me but in my most recent drives, for about the first 15 minutes or so into the drive when I accelerate in the lower gears I get this warning light that pops up in the same location of the "Check Engine OK" light during start-up, and its says "SLOW DOWN". To me it seems contrary to the point of having a Ferrari to begin with.
A friend of mine told me that he believes is something to do with the Catalytic Converter possibly being clogged or something and I should bring the car to the local official Ferrari Dealer for service. Prior to doing that I checked with the Ferrari dealer first and they suggested the following prior to brining the car in as follows-
1. They recommended I listen to the engine more during start up to see if it sounds rough at start up which could possible mean one of the 2 banks of 6 cylinders are not firing in sync or one bank is not firing evenly. There is a module which apparently controls the firing order and if it detects uneven firing it would display the warning light.
2. I was also told it could just be a faulty Oxygen sensor that needs replacing.
- The Ferrari Service person recommended that I leave the car for about 45 to 60 seconds prior to turning it over during start-up after seeing the "Check Engine Ok" light at start-up. If the problem goes away then I should just leave it alone, if it continues then I should schedule a visit.

Does anyone here have an opinion on what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
The Ferrari Slow-Down system is a Cat protection system. It's measuring temperature of the CAT's via a thermocouple. First thing you need to do is measure the actual cat's to see what temp they are. If they are within proper limits, you might have a bad thermocouple or TCU. It's possible your CAT's are breaking up and restricting exhaust flow and generating more heat. Do not ignore this - diagnose properly and fix the problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
The Ferrari Slow-Down system is a Cat protection system. It's measuring temperature of the CAT's via a thermocouple. First thing you need to do is measure the actual cat's to see what temp they are. If they are within proper limits, you might have a bad thermocouple or TCU. It's possible your CAT's are breaking up and restricting exhaust flow and generating more heat. Do not ignore this - diagnose properly and fix the problem.
Interesting so it seems my friend was correct and the Ferrari Service guy was wrong about this. Thanks for the quick feedback.
Clyde

post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
- The Ferrari Service person recommended that I leave the car for about 45 to 60 seconds prior to turning it over during start-up after seeing the "Check Engine Ok" light at start-up. If the problem goes away then I should just leave it alone, if it continues then I should schedule a visit.
This is really bad advice and could result in the total loss of your car due to a cat fire. I would contact Alex at Daytona Auto and have them look at the car. The "Check Engine" light and "Slow down" lights serve two very different functions that may or may not be related. In other words, just because the "Check Engine" light is off doesn't mean that you don't have a problem.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
This is really bad advice and could result in the total loss of your car due to a cat fire. I would contact Alex at Daytona Auto and have them look at the car. The "Check Engine" light and "Slow down" lights serve two very different functions that may or may not be related. In other words, just because the "Check Engine" light is off doesn't mean that you don't have a problem.
I know Alex at Daytona well (its where I purchased the car), and I'll bring it in to him next week in that case.
Thanks
Clyde

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode