Another Battery question - 599 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Another Battery question - 599

Hi all,

I have been back and forth on the forum, and I cannot find a definite answer to my question. I went on vacation last week, and came back to a dead battery in my 2010 599.

The car came with a factory tender, so I went to hook it up, but it seems I am missing an adapter, as the tender plugs looks nothing like the plug to the left and below the battery disconnect screw, which is where I believe it plugs in. Is this correct, is there an adapter I am missing?

If so, anyone know if they can be purchased separately?

Lastly, just to be sure, it is a TERRIBLE idea to jump start a FerrariI assume?

Thanks,

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
There should be no adaptor Barry.
You can jump start or at least that's what they did for me a few years back when they were coming to pick it up for a service and it was flat. They changed the battery and now I can leave it for a month without charging, so yours could do with changing if its only been a week.

When they did change the battery they sent it back without the radio working, they had to come back out and take the radio out to get the serial number to find the code, so make sure you have yours.

Could you post a photo of the end of your charger and I can compare with mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post
Hi all,

I have been back and forth on the forum, and I cannot find a definite answer to my question. I went on vacation last week, and came back to a dead battery in my 2010 599.

The car came with a factory tender, so I went to hook it up, but it seems I am missing an adapter, as the tender plugs looks nothing like the plug to the left and below the battery disconnect screw, which is where I believe it plugs in. Is this correct, is there an adapter I am missing?

Thanks,

Barry
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Hi all, I have been back and forth on the forum, and I cannot find a definite answer to my question. I went on vacation last week, and came back to a dead battery in my 2010 599.....The car came with a factory tender, so I went to hook it up, but it seems I am missing an adapter, as the tender plugs looks nothing like the plug to the left and below the battery disconnect screw, which is where I believe it plugs in. Is this correct, is there an adapter I am missing?.....If so, anyone know if they can be purchased separately?....Lastly, just to be sure, it is a TERRIBLE idea to jump start a FerrariI assume? Thanks, Barry
Barry, stop fretting, there's hope. Just truck on down to your local NAPA auto supply store and buy a Deltran battery tender or charger. Neither will be an expensive event: tender cost: maybe $55.-$65., charger a bit more. Both have black and red clips to clip to the positive and negative terminals on your battery.

I use the factory tender on my 575M simply because it came with the car, but used a Deltran tender on my old 412GT and F355 and still use one now on my Maserati Spyder and my 2006 Cadillac STS-V throughout winter storage each year. If your battery is still chargeable you might consider a slightly more expensive Deltran battery charger.

Very simple solution.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris

post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
update 1

Thanks guys...I was able to charge the battery after disconnecting it via the cut-off screw, using a charger direct to the battery posts, and she is up an running again.

I am still confused about the Ferrari charger, I will take a picture this evening, as my connector clip on it look nothing like the plug built into the car with the 3 posts.

Barry
post #5 of 8 Old 09-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
recent era cars leave many things powered up after the key is turned off ( memories, alarms, door locks etc )

a current drain audit can be performed, which will show how much current is being consumed with the " key off " this will show actual usage or a fault in wiring, either way you will find how much current is draining from the battery

easy fix is to use a battery maintainer...for periods longer than a few days also it will increase useful life of battery

replace older battery, as batteries age their capacity to supply power declines

change the type of battery construction or purpose of use... starting batteries are designed to supply a lot of power for only a few seconds, any drain will allow these battery to go flat quickly. replace with a battery labeled RV /Marine/ deep cycle. These batteries are designed to deliver power over an extended period of time. For accessory power this is measured in days of extra power vs a std starting type of battery. This number is measured in ampere hours /AH or called reserve capacity when checking specifications. Current batteries are much more powerful than in the past, allowing the RV / marine / deep cycle type of battery to be used as starting batteries. Typical reserve capacity of a starting battery will be somewhere between 50 and 80 ah or less, with deep cycle style, this number can be in the mid 100's for the physically smaller to over 200 ah for larger size batteries, easily doubling or tripling the time to power accessories before failing to provide starting power. Don't be impressed by numbers expressed by ratings labeled as cold cranking amps, this is power measured in seconds of service, and has no bearing on delivering power over time. Best to become informed about what a particular type of battery can or cannot do, there is more to a battery than the 12volts marked on it. All batteries are limited by their reserve capacity measured in Ah, think of it like the size of the fuel tank, capacity determines how far it. can go.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 787
Garage
Quote:
Hi all,

The car came with a factory tender, so I went to hook it up, but it seems I am missing an adapter, as the tender plugs looks nothing like the plug to the left and below the battery disconnect screw, which is where I believe it plugs in.

Is this correct, is there an adapter I am missing?

Thanks,
Barry
Where are you looking for the port?

Do you have the owner's manual?
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 12-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 787
Garage
That $375 unit is OEM, but an older model CTEK with only 2 stage charging, Max 0.8 Amps.

For half the money, get the latest 8 stage charging with 4 modes, Max 4.3 Amps
FERRARI BATTERY MAINTAINER SET: The FERRARI DONGLE + CTEK MUS 4.3 for $189.99

FerrariLife special: The above for even less, US $150 and I pay all shipping, Insurance and Paypal costs to US destinations, while supply lasts.

Send me PM with your email address and I'll invoice you

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode