SD2 or SD3 Readout on my 550? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 50
SD2 or SD3 Readout on my 550?

My 550 is still at Tillack, they might have an SD2 or SD3 reader there. Would it be worthwhile to have a readout done on my car while it's still there? From what I've found out so far, it will provide a much more complete assessment of the car's ECUs & electrical system than just a generic OBDII reader. Ah well, I know I should have done this as part of the PPI, but I didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Wil- Cannot hurt. Not sure what they can print on a 550 and Motronic 5.2, but the pros should know.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yeh, that's what I was wondering--it seems it would be more useful on something like your F1 575 or later. I'll ask Craig what he would charge for a readout, that'll be the decider.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2015, 03:47 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
We use our SD-2 regularly on the 550s. An SD-3 will communicate with all modules in the car, as well. In brief, either tester will enable you to:

-Access any current/stored engine faults as well as all engine running parameters, bank-specific
-Access any current/stored climate control faults
-Access any current/stored suspension faults
-Access any current/stored ABS/ASR faults
-Access any current/stored SRS (airbag) faults

-Not applicable to the 550, but for models equipped with an F1, all sorts of data can be obtained from the transaxle, clutch, pump pressure, etc.

Short of monitor readiness and CEL status (past, present or stored/not cleared), the generic OBD-II tools offer little of significant value.

You're looking at one of Ferrari's best models in the hands of a well-known shop with a solid reputation. They would be the best source for answers...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
There are enough electronics and known issues in the 550's that a thorough SD2 report has value. Just knowing that basic parameters meet book spec and that there aren't any faults lurking in the background provides peace of mind.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
We use our SD-2 regularly on the 550s. An SD-3 will communicate with all modules in the car, as well. In brief, either tester will enable you to:
-Access any current/stored engine faults as well as all engine running parameters, bank-specific
-Access any current/stored climate control faults
-Access any current/stored suspension faults
-Access any current/stored ABS/ASR faults
-Access any current/stored SRS (airbag) faults
David, I will have FastCars do an SD scan of the car. On another note, an SD2 just finished up on eBay, but I didn't go for it--too many unknowns for this noob. I'm looking at the AutoEnginuity Ferrari/Maserati module-- https://www.autoenginuity.com/produc...ti-ei18.html-- as I already have their Jaguar module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
You're looking at one of Ferrari's best models in the hands of a well-known shop with a solid reputation. They would be the best source for answers...
Reassuring to hear that about FastCars, thanks. I was relying on their reputation in that I bought it sight unseen with a PPI done by them.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
There are enough electronics and known issues in the 550's that a thorough SD2 report has value. Just knowing that basic parameters meet book spec and that there aren't any faults lurking in the background provides peace of mind.
Sounds good to me! Request in to Craig now. He's going to have it for another week until transport can get there--it's hard to go north from CA to WA. CA east, no problem--north, problem. Thanks Josh.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Update on Fast Cars: Craig & the company really lived up to their reputation. They threw in an SD2 scan for free...! Everything was good except the car alarm--bad alarm batteries. I've had the car for a while now and it's been tons of fun. When using it hard, one can think as if driving a strong bike on our back country roads. Multi-car passes in third pulling hard past 6,000--niice.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode