575M F1 new owner - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
575M F1 new owner

Hello to all,

As almost everybody here, I´m a car nut. And as a car nut, owning a Ferrari is one of those things in life that you just have to get to.

And the dream finally has come true, I will own in a few days time a 575M F1, indeed a very special one, my dads own 575M F1. He has purchased a 599GTB and my mum (completely fed up of all our messing with cars) said the 575M had to be replaced (and that was mandatory) by the 599, thus the 575M had to be sold... and I said "Ok then, I´ll purchase the car from you". So, the car is sold and moves from their garage, but remains in the family (and my mum is happy to see one car leave).

It was ordered in 2003, its Titanium Grey Metallic with wine-red interior, with piping and stitching in a matching medium grey (all in wine-red but the steering wheel, black), has 19" split rims, Daytona seats, Hi-Fi, Scuderia Ferrari crests in the front wings, red calipers... but lacks HGTC package (lets see what we can do about it later). Of course I have all the invoices and paperwork, from the cars purchase invoice to today, the service book is fully stamped in Ferrari dealer and the cam-belt service was done last year and fresh Pilot SuperSports fitted also last year (previously it always ran on Pirelli PZero Corsas). Has 50.000km (30k mls) and the original factory paint unmolested (but the front bumper... stonechip and road debris, you all know about it...)

I really love it, particularly for the colour combination, maybe not for everyone´s taste but for me its ass classy as a 575M can be.

But, also owning hardcore machinery (Porsche 911 GT3), the car is a bit bland in some aspects, for me at least. I know this is a GT and not a Challenge Stradale nor Scuderia, but making it a bit more "edgy" I think will make the car even better.

The brakes were enhanced with Pagid´s, braided brake-lines and ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid in 2006 (as during a trackday the brakes faded terribly under abuse), so this chapter is already sorted.

But the rest remains factory original, so I´m thinking on swapping to HGTC sway bar (or one that gets the same result and lets my wallet less damaged) and Maranello Skunk Works steering and suspension ECU improvement to match. Opinions? Were to get it all? Can anybody help?

Also I really have to do something with that muted exhaust... the car is really quiet, indeed my daily and stock Merc S600 is louder!!! So, maybe HGTC back-boxes are a path to explore. More options?

I appreciate originality, I have all my cars completely original visually... hiding some enhancements that make life easier, safer or funnier with them, but optically factory specs.

As soon as I get the car home I´ll post pictures.

I´m now like a four year old child in Christmas day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Sounds like a very nice 575M. HGTC was not available until mid-2004 in Europe, MY05 for the US/Canada, but FHP was available throughout production. See the 575 Technical Thread for details on both.

For a better sound, get a set of Bradan straight pipes to replace the center muffler/resonator/cork. The factory did that at AN 51797, but your 03 is earlier than that. Used HGTC rear mufflers are occasionally available, but new ones are unaffordable. There was a Superamerica set of HGTC mufflers on E-Bay not too long ago. Try the straight pipes first and you may be happy with the result. Putting in a remote to open the bypass valves will also improve the sound at lower revs.

John Cribb is one of the members of MSW and you can see his thread on rebuilding his 550 engine and send him a personal message. I highly recommend their FHP Hydraulic Steering ECU. They do not currently do a Shock Absorber ECU.

The OEM HGTC anti-roll bar is prohibitively expensive now and MSW is working towards a hollow 22 mm bar instead which should be way less expensive. Same for springs. Depending on which Shock Absorber ECU you have, changing that may make a difference, too, especially if it is 183960, which has kind of loose shock scheduling.

Lots of this info in the 575 Technical Thread.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 77 Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Goliat, welcome and congrats ! Beautiful and classy color for the car, indeed.

Sounds like all fun to me.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

post #4 of 77 Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliat View Post
And the dream finally has come true, I will own in a few days time a 575M F1, indeed a very special one, my dads own 575M F1. He has purchased a 599GTB and my mum (completely fed up of all our messing with cars) said the 575M had to be replaced (and that was mandatory) by the 599, thus the 575M had to be sold... and I said "Ok then, I´ll purchase the car from you". So, the car is sold and moves from their garage, but remains in the family (and my mum is happy to see one car leave).
Keep it in the family - sounds like a sensible solution.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #5 of 77 Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Terry, really thank you for the technical thread. Really amazing. I´ll read it carefully.

I will contact the Ferrari Dealer to ask for availability and prices of the FHP springs, sway bar and mountings. Other alternative supplier suggestion?

About the steering ECU, I´ll tell you which one I have as soon as I can inspect de car. I´ll tell you my cars numbers too (last VIN digits and AN)... hope the steering FHP ECU is available from MSW.

Jimmy and John, thanks for the kind welcome.

Live as if you´re going to die tomorrow, dream as if you´re going to live forever.

Last edited by goliat; 01-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #6 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Hello to all,

As almost everybody here, I´m a car nut. And as a car nut, owning a Ferrari is one of those things in life that you just have to get to.

I really love it, particularly for the colour combination, maybe not for everyone´s taste but for me its ass classy as a 575M can be.
The brakes were enhanced with Pagid´s, braided brake-lines and ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid in 2006 (as during a trackday the brakes faded terribly under abuse), so this chapter is already sorted.

Also I really have to do something with that muted exhaust... the car is really quiet, indeed my daily and stock Merc S600 is louder!!! So, maybe HGTC back-boxes are a path to explore. More options?
As soon as I get the car home I´ll post pictures.

I´m now like a four year old child in Christmas day...

Goliat, welcome in FL and in Maranello's family ....
Congratulations, we are waiting for pictures ....
For a better sound, all the advise by Taz are good advise, if you like something different you can read my post and see my video ...

F575 sport exhaust manifolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkRUkO3K8T0

I have a question about tyres, how it was the P0 corsa? And now the PSS how are?
Can tell your impression about the difference about two kind of tyres.
Thanks

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #7 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550_Maranello View Post
I have a question about tyres, how it was the P0 corsa? And now the PSS how are?
Can tell your impression about the difference about two kind of tyres.
Thanks
(This is going to be a very long post as I want everybody to understand the Corsas behaviour and results on the car)

Hello 550,

The car was far better with the PZero Corsas than with the PZero Rosso´s almost everybody uses in almost all situations but when heavy raining and on-the-limit (or past it) behaviour. But, lets explain it from my point of view, being a racing driver myself.

Our car always ran un Corsas but I´ve tried two more 575Ms with 18" and Rossos and the grip is improved upon them, and as the tire side-wall is more rigid you get a more precise feel of was going on upfront through the steering wheel (more road feel and more feel about the suspension work upfront), a bit louder in what road noise is concerned and when heavy raining you have to reduce the pace because they´re more keen on aquaplanning, but they´re not as critic as PilotSportCups (the natural rival of the Corsas time ago) when raining as they have much more thread and channels to evacuate water than Michelins rival... but on the limit (on a trackday session, for instance) appear two "problems" (lets say) you have to deal with:

1. They are not as progressive as the PilotSportCups are when reaching the grip limit, so they advice with very little margin or don't advice you at all... the Corsas will simply hold the car in its place or slip past the limit, and that´s a bit delicate when you´re pushing hard a 1700kg and 515HP beast (exactly the same happened when I tried a set on my GT3, the grip was total or none with almost no advice, while the SportCups advice they are reaching their limit and when past the limit they´re really sweet, so I went back to the SportCups after a single track-day). With the Traction Control On you will just notice it cuts your gas pedal excesses but with the TC switched off believe me you will slide or spin if you are not really on the matter and really fast correcting. As this car is heavy you will always be carefull enough to brake in the correct point and leave margin for correction, then initiate the turn helping the front end grip (no gas and maybe a bit off regressive braking)... but when the tires are really hot you have to be very gentle (ultra gentle indeed, surgeon footed almost) on the throttle because oversteer will appear without no advice at all and will have to be correct quickly, with very little feedback from the tires, they almost become marble rollers when sliding).

2. More grip means the tires will be harder on the suspension and its true I always felt that the car was grippier and faster that the Rosso-fitted sibblings, but tilted more in-turn and thus was more difficult to manage on the limit... so, it screams for the FHP to be balanced again (tilt less and have masses and inertias under control), as the standard 575M with the 18" and fitted with Rossos is just delicious as it is, a perfectly balanced GT.

So, with Corsas, always in my humild opinion, the car gains... but then demands the FHP suspension enhancement to be able to release all their potential and level things again in track-day use and on the limit and with tyres really burning you have to be very sensible on the gas pedal or have fun sliding the rear with no information at all.

But this "tricky" behaviour and the need for the FHP will just show its face on a track-day session and pushing really really hard with the TC switched off. On-road manners with the Corsas will remain as sweet as with the Rossos, but with extra grip to hold the car while braking, turning or deploying traction exiting a turn always to help you. So for road use, go for them (you will win in all terms but when raining -but then nobody that´s not insane while drive fast with such rollers when wet-), if you are going to attend trackdays and you drive fast but not on the limit they will be perfect, but if you´re able to fully exploit the engine and chassis you´re going to need the FHP to rebalance the car and extract safer the Corsas extra grip on offer... always being sensible with the gas pedal if the TC is off-duty and the tires are really hot.

Wy did my father maintain the Corsas? Because there was no other option for the 575Ms tyre size in 19" until the SS appeared two years ago that Michelin redefined its PilotSport range. Before, you had the PilotSport 2 as the most sporty street focused model and the SportCup as the trackday focused model. Two years ago the brand splitted the range into three models, the PilotSport3 being the first step -a bit less grippy than the previos PS2 but really sporty and only street focused, then the SuperSport going a bit further than the PS2 went to and closer in grip to the old SportCup (if not he same) but with a thread that in wet works wonders, and then the PilotSportCup2, again more capable than the previous SportCup but intended for trackday use only.

Wy did he moved to SS? First because he has just attended about 6 track-days in twelve years of ownership and three years ago he got himself a trackday focused car so the 575 will never enter a circuit again and second because he felt that for using the car as a GT (trips with my mother and almost always in group with couples of friends that also owned sports cars), when it rained heavily, he didn't feel really confident on the Corsas ability to drain water... so he was always keen on changing but there was no other option until the SuperSport appeared.

I had Michelin SS on my Merc for the summer tire set and believe me they are simply the best summer tyres I´ve ever had or tested, fantastic in dry and in also when wet being a sport-car focused wheel (I missed them badly as I now have the winter Vredesteins fitted). In an S-class you will never be able to test a tire to its limits or past them (its an elephant first of all, and its fitted with a ESP so restrictive that fun is simply unknown to that car) but having tried them on 911s I can only tell wonders about them, they are just terrific, they simply tick all the right boxes. Imagine the PS2 ability on wet conditions and the SportCup grip on dry, and as communicative and sweet past the limit as the SportCups are. Its a marvel.

So I suggested him to move to SS when the last Corsa set was due to replacement. And he´s really happy with he results (as I am). The SS will grip in dry exactly as well as the Corsas did, when raining they work far better and the best of all they´re far more communicative (they warn when the limit is close) and progressive (past the limit they´re really sweet to modulate) than the Corsas. So, with the SuperSport you get the best of the Corsas and get rid of the troubles they come with.

This said, I really think the SS are the best deal for a 575M, having the FHP or not, being HGTC or not. If you have it you will be able to exploit the extra abilities and if not you will not sense the lack of if so badly, but always the car will make progress safer as you will be informed were the limit is and make progress on it or past it securely as with the Corsas "I grip and a millisecond later I don't grip without advice" behaviour make the on-the-limit-handling tricky and not safe at all.

Or at least that's my opinion based on track-day use of the car (my father came with me those six times the car entered a circuit and I always had a go in his 575 to leave my GT3 rest a bit) and mountain course sport driving.

So, if you just drive normally and at times a bit spirited and the car is fitted with Rossos, leave them till there is a tire replacement needed but then, no doubt, go for the SS. They cost the same and they´re the best for this car. And if you have Corsas and you have sensed this tricky behaviour Im explaining (hope I was able to explain it correctly) get rid of the Corsas and get the SS straight away.

Last edited by goliat; 01-28-2015 at 03:21 AM.
post #8 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Owner

Hello Goliat,
thanks for your impression and opinion about tyres, that are very interesting.

I have an 2004 HGTC that I bought two year ago at 38500 Km, this car was delivered with P0 corsa, when i bought had the B RE050A (also now) 60% front 40% rear, probably this year or maximum next year i will replace the tyres.
On my old 550 i had before the B S02 and after the RE050 A, because the S02 not are plus available, for me was little better S02 on dry, and opposite situation on wet, with S02 i did only 7000 Km, with RE050A after 10000 Km was about 40 % ...
I'm happy of this tyres for my use, I just drive normally and at times a bit spirited, i seen big difference from RE050A 18 rims on 550 and RE050A19 rims on 575, both had K specificarion (Ferrari spec), on 19 all the caracteristics are better.
I never driven with P0 corsa or SS, on my Mercedes i had before PS2, and after RE050A, my impression was that B are better, more better, in dry, handling superior probably due to the wall more rigid, only the confort was less ...
With more probability I will install again B, i'm interested of SS and also D Maxx Race, those last tyres are track day family, but they have high depth of tread in comparison to P0 corsa od PSC2, that probably do a little better on wet ....
Last thing, P0 Corsa on pirelli web site are not available for the rear tyres ...

Fabio

post #9 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
............ 1. They [Corsas] are not as progressive as the PilotSportCups are when reaching the grip limit, so they advice with very little margin or don't advice you at all... the Corsas will simply hold the car in its place or slip past the limit..........when I tried a set on my GT3, the grip was total or none with almost no advice,.......... But this "tricky" behaviour and the need for the FHP will just show its face on a track-day session and pushing really really hard with the TC switched off ........................... I had Michelin SS on my Merc for the summer tire set and believe me they are simply the best summer tyres I´ve ever had or tested, fantastic in dry and in also when wet being a sport-car focused wheel (I missed them badly as I now have the winter Vredesteins fitted). In an S-class you will never be able to test a tire to its limits or past them (its an elephant first of all, and its fitted with a ESP so restrictive that fun is simply unknown to that car)......................... This said, I really think the SS are the best deal for a 575M, having the FHP or not, being HGTC or not. If you have it you will be able to exploit the extra abilities and if not you will not sense the lack of if so badly, but always the car will make progress safer as you will be informed were the limit is and make progress on it or past it securely as with the Corsas "I grip and a millisecond later I don't grip without advice" behaviour make the on-the-limit-handling tricky and not safe at all.............................So, if you just drive normally and at times a bit spirited and the car is fitted with Rossos, leave them till there is a tire replacement needed but then, no doubt, go for the SS. They cost the same and they´re the best for this car. And if you have Corsas and you have sensed this tricky behaviour Im explaining (hope I was able to explain it correctly) get rid of the Corsas and get the SS straight away.

Welcome Goliat! and congratulations on your beautiful new 575M. And so many thanks for your very cogent and complete description of the driving qualities of tires for our 575M's. I start by saying that when I had to replace the tires on my 575M (with FHP) the PZero Rossos seemed to me the clear choice since I track the car only with relative calm. It was particularly interesting to read your evaluation of the Corsa; many years ago I raced a little Triumph TR3, wouldn't dare have raced on the Dunlop Gold Seals with which the car was delivered, so tried a set of the then-new Michelin X's (this was 1959). They ran just as you describe the Corsas, perhaps even more. They gripped and gripped, then with no warning whatever, just let go. I ended racing with Pirelli Stelvios.

P.S. love your description of your elephantine S-class, not designed top be a fun car.

Again welcome and enjoy your 575M

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris

Last edited by intrepid; 01-28-2015 at 06:36 AM.
post #10 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Seth- The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are far superior to the Pirelli P Zero Rossos, and less expensive. Just made that swap and the results are pretty amazing in ride, handling, and braking, especially considering the 300 wear rating. The Corsas have a 60 wear rating, so are kind of limited, even if they were standard on the Challenge Stradale and 575M HGTC. Old design, though, like the Rossos.

G- The FHP 21 mm rear anti-roll bar is now NLA and the FHP and HGTC springs are expensive and hard to find. The HGTC 19.5 mm rear bar is over $3k and probably not worth that much compared to what can be done in the aftermarket. The springs are easy to duplicate, though, and one of our owners did that. We have complete specs on the FHP springs, but only partial on the HGTC springs, which are slightly stiffer and longer.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Owner

[QUOTE=tazandjan;558650]Seth- The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are far superior to the Pirelli P Zero Rossos, and less expensive. Just made that swap and the results are pretty amazing in ride, handling, and braking, especially considering the 300 wear rating. The Corsas have a 60 wear rating, so are kind of limited, even if they were standard on the Challenge Stradale and 575M HGTC. Old design, though, like the Rossos.
QUOTE]

Terry,
I remember when you have replaced your tyres and your satisfaction of PSS, did you ever have the B RE050A?
On one forum i read the the PSS have the wall less rigid that B, that are did with ferrari specification (K).

Fabio

post #12 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Fabio- No, I tend to avoid Bridgestone and Firestone tires. Old prejudice.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #13 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Fabio- No, I tend to avoid Bridgestone and Firestone tires. Old prejudice.
Bridgestone was approved by Ferrari .... hahaha .... but this is another prejudice, in opposite sense

Fabio

post #14 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Sounds like a very nice 575M. HGTC was not available until mid-2004 in Europe, MY05 for the US/Canada, but FHP was available throughout production. See the 575 Technical Thread for details on both.

John Cribb is one of the members of MSW and you can see his thread on rebuilding his 550 engine and send him a personal message. I highly recommend their FHP Hydraulic Steering ECU. They do not currently do a Shock Absorber ECU.
Hey Terry,
Is the FHP Hydraulic Steering ECU any different than the one I've purchased from MSW?

Clyde
post #15 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 192
Quote:
Also I really have to do something with that muted exhaust... the car is really quiet, indeed my daily and stock Merc S600 is louder!!! So, maybe HGTC back-boxes are a path to explore....
As FYI, here is link to one version of the "HGTC back-boxes". The last set that I saw sold for just over $2k, so an offer would probably go a long way here.
Bill
Fla.

Ferrari 575 Superamerica Stock Factory Take Offs in Excellent Condition | eBay
post #16 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Owner

Congratulations Goliat, are you going to favour us with some photos of your beautiful family 575?
Clyde
post #17 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Bridgestone was approved by Ferrari .... hahaha .... but this is another prejudice, in opposite sense

Fabio, I share Terry's prejudice. Terry, when time comes to replace the Rossos, on go PilotSS's, despite my natural predilection for anything Pirelli

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #18 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Clyde- No, they are exactly the same. Dave copied the EEPROM from the FHP ECU for the MSW version. Their switchable version actually had both FHP and stock EEPROMs, but those switchable ECUs are long gone, and really only suitable for 550s because of the differences in Sport mode on an F1 575M.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by tazandjan; 01-28-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #19 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Owner

Quote:
clyde- No, they are exactly the same. Dave copied the EEPROM from the FHP ECU for the MSW version. Their switchable version actually had both FHP and stock EEPROMs, but those switchable ECUs are long gone, and really only suitable for 550s because of the differences in Sport mode on an F1 575M.
Thanks Terry,

Clyde
post #20 of 77 Old 01-28-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello Goliat,
thanks for your impression and opinion about tyres, that are very interesting.

I have an 2004 HGTC that I bought two year ago at 38500 Km, this car was delivered with P0 corsa, when i bought had the B RE050A (also now) 60% front 40% rear, probably this year or maximum next year i will replace the tyres.
On my old 550 i had before the B S02 and after the RE050 A, because the S02 not are plus available, for me was little better S02 on dry, and opposite situation on wet, with S02 i did only 7000 Km, with RE050A after 10000 Km was about 40 % ...
I'm happy of this tyres for my use, I just drive normally and at times a bit spirited, i seen big difference from RE050A 18 rims on 550 and RE050A19 rims on 575, both had K specificarion (Ferrari spec), on 19 all the caracteristics are better.
I never driven with P0 corsa or SS, on my Mercedes i had before PS2, and after RE050A, my impression was that B are better, more better, in dry, handling superior probably due to the wall more rigid, only the confort was less ...
With more probability I will install again B, i'm interested of SS and also D Maxx Race, those last tyres are track day family, but they have high depth of tread in comparison to P0 corsa od PSC2, that probably do a little better on wet ....
Last thing, P0 Corsa on pirelli web site are not available for the rear tyres ...

Bridgestone S02 (not the S02A, complete rubbish) were the best sport-street tires in its time (14 years ago). They were progressive, sweet and in wet were simply fabulous. I attended a track-day in the Nurburgring raining like if there was no tomorrow, and I had a great time with them. With any other tire in that time of the kind (PZero Assimetrico, Pilot Sport MXX3 or Dunlops SP Sport 9000 it would have been scary at best). Had them fitted in all street Porsches, even in the GT3 as street tires, amazing back then... but the Michelin PS2 took their place as the best sport-street rubber money could buy (2003).

Then about the RE050, for me, its not a great choice. Good, but not great. It´s almost 8 years old by now. More progressive than Pirellis on the limit but less than the Michelins, the side wall is concrete-built (and if its the RunFlat version, even worse), so when there are potholes or the tarmac is ruffled, the side walls just rebound all the time completely unable to absorb the tarmac imperfections, what just makes the car understeer under hard cornering all the time. If the tarmac is perfect they perform better than PZero Rossos, that's true. In wet they are good, not a wonder, but nice. I had them factory fitted in two cars -BMW 335d E92 and Merc SL500 R230- and changed to Michelin PS2 in the first and ContiSportContact5 (another fabulous tire, the second in the podium of street tires for me actually) in the second.

About the D Maxx, having tried them when presented to press two or three years ago, they are way better than the PZero Corsa, but cant match the PilotSportCup 2. The PSC2 are the best ones out there (Toyo Proxes are just appropriate for cars under 1000kg like Lotus, hot hatches and racy classics and Yokohamas are past their best) for trackday porpouses... they´re simply worth every penny, its just the PSC but taken a step further in all aspects (outright grip, temperature resistance to fade, progression, feeling and over-the-limit behaviour) and with a jump forward in wet conditions absolutely awesome. They perform in wet as well as the SuperSport!!! Amazing achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
... many years ago I raced a little Triumph TR3, wouldn't dare have raced on the Dunlop Gold Seals with which the car was delivered, so tried a set of the then-new Michelin X's (this was 1959). They ran just as you describe the Corsas, perhaps even more. They gripped and gripped, then with no warning whatever, just let go. I ended racing with Pirelli Stelvios.
We surely agree in that it´s far better and safer (personally and in the pursuit of results) to miss 0.2 seconds per lap in a 50 lap race than spinning twice and losing 10 seconds each time or worse even, damaging the car or even being injured. Constance plays a fundamental roll when racing, and safety more even. And that applies for track-days too.

Quote:
G- The FHP 21 mm rear anti-roll bar is now NLA and the FHP and HGTC springs are expensive and hard to find. The HGTC 19.5 mm rear bar is over $3k and probably not worth that much compared to what can be done in the aftermarket. The springs are easy to duplicate, though, and one of our owners did that. We have complete specs on the FHP springs, but only partial on the HGTC springs, which are slightly stiffer and longer.
Lets see how I can get to them. I have the references and I´ll visit the dealer as soon as possible. If they are NLA... I´ll ask for help here, where better?

The Braban tubes are already ordered!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Congratulations Goliat, are you going to favour us with some photos of your beautiful family 575?
Clyde
As soon as I have the car at home I´ll be pleased to post pictures. Yesterday morning was sent to be professionally detailed. The interior has received care and attention every three years (for 4k km a year done in eight to ten trips and always being garaged is more than enough) but the exterior was only carnauba waxed when the interior was addressed... the car has never been polished, factory paintwork unmolested, just preserved and well looked after, as I stated. Time for a nice three step polish and a great wax to make it look like brand new.

For the end of next week I hope to have it here.

Live as if you´re going to die tomorrow, dream as if you´re going to live forever.

Last edited by goliat; 01-28-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode