Trying to understand convertible 550s - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Trying to understand convertible 550s

I've been searching and searching trying to figure out the 550 convertible and I can't.

Here is what I know:

Ferrari made 500 units of the 550 Barchetta which are convertibles

Straman made aftermarket conversions from coupe to convertible

Here is what I want to know:

How many conversions were done by Straman? Are there other shops that did conversions? I heard of Pavesi....

Which is more valuable and more rare, the original by Ferrari or the Straman?

How much are they worth? Does the year make a difference?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Wasn't there a soft top maker who made a proper and good looking soft top for the 550 Barchetta? The stock soft top is a joke.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Thought you got pretty good answers on the other site.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Thought you got pretty good answers on the other site.

Actually I didn't....I still don't know how many "cut" 550s are out there, who did them besides Straman?

I also don't know the value of the "cut" non-oem versions.

Am I breaking some sort of rule by posting on both sites?
post #5 of 29 Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

No, but you would probably have to ask Straman for numbers and I have not seen anybody else doing that except Sheehan, who is still in the car business, but not cutting currently, I think. The cut ones are so rare there is no defined market for them so the price is just however badly one person wants one. The Barchetta is a much more known quantity with asking prices easy to find.

Contact Sheehan, who I believe did cut some Daytonas, and maybe he has more info.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
No, but you would probably have to ask Straman for numbers and I have not seen anybody else doing that except Sheehan, who is still in the car business, but not cutting currently, I think. The cut ones are so rare there is no defined market for them so the price is just however badly one person wants one. The Barchetta is a much more known quantity with asking prices easy to find.

Contact Sheehan, who I believe did cut some Daytonas, and maybe he has more info.
Cool, thanks

I think Pavesi in Milan did some cut 550s but I am not sure.

Does he have a shop? or a website I can reach him?
post #7 of 29 Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
have a buddy with a straman cut 550. I'll try to dig up his number. haven't seen him since cavallino last year. If I remember correctly, I didn't like the look. I have a pic of me standing next to it in his garage but I can't find it right now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 29 Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
have a buddy with a straman cut 550. I'll try to dig up his number. haven't seen him since cavallino last year. If I remember correctly, I didn't like the look. I have a pic of me standing next to it in his garage but I can't find it right now.
Stan?

His car is currently for sale and the likely reason for the questions.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #10 of 29 Old 01-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
yes, stan is who I was thinking of. Does he still have it?
Yes. And he's selling it for $165k
post #11 of 29 Old 01-30-2015, 04:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Considering where Barchettas are going and the current 550 market in general, i think he is priced right. And, knowing that the Ferrari market acknowledges Straman conversions as both desirable and legitimate period conversions, I don't see the risk in going for this car if it has appeal to the buyer. In my estimation, it is better way to approach drop top 550 ownership if one planned to actually enjoy it. Barchettas are the blue chip for appreciation though. Depends what you wan in your collectiont.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355dreamer View Post
Stan?

His car is currently for sale and the likely reason for the questions.

Actually, it's not the reason.

A close friend has taken a liking to 550s but he is a "convertible" kind of guy. So as we began searching and getting informed about 550 convertibles, I started some threads on the subject.

As I was fishing for some info on them, I noticed the blue one on fchat for sale. From what I've gathered, there are 448 Barchettas made + 12 barchetta prototypes (identical to the production cars) + 2 Straman cars.

My buddy does not have the budget for a true Barchetta so a Straman is the next best thing. However, the problem is that there are only 2!

Sent that Stan guy a nice polite pm several days ago and he's logged in everyday since without bothering to answer me....???

Plus my friend wants red and his is blue so it's out!

So, at this point, it looks like he's gonna stick with his 355 for a while.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-31-2015, 05:33 AM

Crazy idea! I think that someone should take a lot of 550s...say 10, 15, 20 of them...and send them to a customizer for drop top conversion. Service them completely, so they are turn key. Call them a 550GTS. An outfit like West Coast Customs or similar could pull it off and do it correctly. We would then have a contemporary, limited production 550 convertible available for those that want them.And the suggested build quantity would lend some level of credibility and continuity. Do it now, before they become too valuable.... ;-)
post #14 of 29 Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

So he wants one of two cars, and it has to be the correct color? Good luck with that. Paint it since the poor thing has already had its top chopped off, and originality does not make much difference.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #15 of 29 Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedee3d View Post
Actually, it's not the reason.

A close friend has taken a liking to 550s but he is a "convertible" kind of guy. So as we began searching and getting informed about 550 convertibles, I started some threads on the subject.

As I was fishing for some info on them, I noticed the blue one on fchat for sale. From what I've gathered, there are 448 Barchettas made + 12 barchetta prototypes (identical to the production cars) + 2 Straman cars.

My buddy does not have the budget for a true Barchetta so a Straman is the next best thing. However, the problem is that there are only 2!

Sent that Stan guy a nice polite pm several days ago and he's logged in everyday since without bothering to answer me....???

Plus my friend wants red and his is blue so it's out!

So, at this point, it looks like he's gonna stick with his 355 for a while.
Stans car is red.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-31-2015, 08:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Yes it is. Straman convertible registry - FerrariChat.com

Don't care for it myself and I can't believe the structural integrity wasn't compromised. The 456 conversions have a reputation of being very wobbly. Great for wafting but a good Ferrari it ain't no more...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #17 of 29 Old 01-31-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355dreamer View Post
Stans car is red.

Yes you're right....been browsing and searching so much about this topic that my brain has been rendered incapable of interpreting colors!!!

Indeed it is red and it's a beauty.

But it's more than what my friend wants to spend and, besides, if this Stan guy can't be bothered to answer PMs, my guess is that he's not real serious about selling it anyway.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Yes it is. Straman convertible registry - FerrariChat.com

Don't care for it myself and I can't believe the structural integrity wasn't compromised. The 456 conversions have a reputation of being very wobbly. Great for wafting but a good Ferrari it ain't no more...

Onno
Looks better and more practical than the Barchetta, but I am sure you are right about loss of rigidity.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #19 of 29 Old 02-01-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedee3d View Post
Yes you're right....been browsing and searching so much about this topic that my brain has been rendered incapable of interpreting colors!!!

Indeed it is red and it's a beauty.

But it's more than what my friend wants to spend and, besides, if this Stan guy can't be bothered to answer PMs, my guess is that he's not real serious about selling it anyway.
TreeDee...your friend may be interested in a DB9 Volante, or maybe even a DB7 Vantage Volante with a manual. I have both alongside my 550...which is why I am following the Straman thread with interest and suggesting that there may be room for more conversions. I would readily replace my DB7 and 550 with one vehicle and a 550 conversion would fit the bill. Of course ,there is the collectability aspect, but 20 years down the road, they will all be rare and desireable....

Many years ago, I decided that I would only buy more cars if they were topless and had manual transmissions. I later changed my rule to :"They must either be topless or V12s". I would like to change my rule for the future to be "they must be topless, have a V12 AND a manual transmission".
post #20 of 29 Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Looks better and more practical than the Barchetta, but I am sure you are right about loss of rigidity.
Sooo...how does the Barchetta address ridgidity? I think that one needs to keep in mind that open top cars are more likely to have GT/touring use, rather than as a track day car....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode