Ode to the old - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Ode to the old

I was blown away when I first bought my 355 at 37. I bought it in San Diego and drove it over 3000 miles with My Dad. I just completed a similar journey with the 550 and, I have to say that WOW! the 550 experience is on another level.
It really captures the spirit of sports car engaged driving. It has just enough of the new tech yet it is steeped that old school Je Ne say quoi. A true Classic.
I like all the new tech and automatic transmissions in my DDs and My truck but for my sport car, I like the analog stuff. The 550 is the best sports car I have ever owned. The way it lifts that big heavy motor and the rear bites into the ground as the launch begins. Its a small car that envelopes you, makes you feel one with it. It handles the corners like a middie but so effortlessly confident. It is such a sexy beast. I love this car. It is the Modern Lusso with a GTO heart. Class and refined power. Just like me ;-)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 07:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
I love 90's Ferrari's. ....and 90's...music, and movies too.
My favorite is the F355 as a daily driver (i hope to possibly maybe buy one one day). and the F50 as a toy.

a Ferrari to me has to be mid-engine...to be all exotic/Ferrari'y...i kind of have a hard time liking front engine Ferrari's.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
The 80's are still the best: First and best Star Wars movies, music that current generations still live by from Van Halen to Phil Collins, Billy Joel and RUN-DMC.

The cars include: my beloved 308QV, the Porsche 930 Turbo and 959, BMW E30M3 and Ferrari 288GTO and F40. Topping that list will be difficult!

L O V E that era.
MB

Now back to your regularly scheduled 90's programming...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Age probably has a lot to do with it: when I was growing up and discovering an interest in cars, Ferrari road cars all had V12s, in front of the driver. One reason why I love my 550.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
I did DD my second 355 for 3 months one summer just to learn the car. I don't think they should be DD'd . The Merc and my truck is for the day to day.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-lugar View Post
I love 90's Ferrari's. ....and 90's...music, and movies too.
My favorite is the F355 as a daily driver (i hope to possibly maybe buy one one day). and the F50 as a toy.

a Ferrari to me has to be mid-engine...to be all exotic/Ferrari'y...i kind of have a hard time liking front engine Ferrari's.

Enzo Ferrari: "A Ferrari is a twelve cylinder engine in front of the driver"

That said, I've owned three Ferrari mid-engine eights including a 6-speed F355b, one of which began life as something called a "Dino". And owned five Ferrari V-twelves, to distinguish them from the boxer twelves.

P.S. if you ever actually buy and use a 355 as your daily driver, good bl--dy luck. You'll get over that right quick. For starters, it ain't easy to enter and exit, then rowing through the six-speed in town will be far more than merely onerous and because it is such a splendid handling car at speed, it is also an 'edgy' nervous car to drive at normal road speeds.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode