F575 sport exhaust manifolds - Page 15 - Ferrari Life
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 410 Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Work in progress ...
all orders for the parts necessary for the jigs construction, for the sport muffler and straight tail pipes contruction are done ....
I hope my suppliers not sleep on my drawings ...
Attached Images

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 410 Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Fabio it looks like you have a very sophisticated AutoCad system to design these parts.
Clyde
post #283 of 410 Old 02-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 128
Fabio, I really like what I see. How did you go about the fins in the tail pipes? I've given it a lot of thought and can't come up with a good solution for production. I'll be interested in your solution.

Also I want a set when you are ready to produce.

Maranello Skunk Works Team Member

post #284 of 410 Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Fabio it looks like you have a very sophisticated AutoCad system to design these parts.
Clyde

Ciao Clyde,

the 3D cad that we use today are powerful and permitted to design parts that 15 years ago was more difficult to do...
Now remain to see if my imagination and my drawings will be transformed in a good thing ...

Best Regards

Fabio

Fabio

post #285 of 410 Old 02-29-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraridriver View Post
Fabio, I really like what I see. How did you go about the fins in the tail pipes? I've given it a lot of thought and can't come up with a good solution for production. I'll be interested in your solution.

Also I want a set when you are ready to produce.

Dave,

about the fins in the tail pipes, i thinked about a feasible manufacture solution for it, from long time ....
I imagined a solution that provide various steps:
- cut the piece of pipe
- laser cut spacers
- weld the spacers on pipe using a welding jig (designed by myself)
- Insert outer tail pipe without clearance and weld (only points)
- Mechanical polishing of outer tail pipe
For manufacture the outer pipe, i went to a company that have the "tourned from the plate", pipe is obtained by calendering of SS 316, 1 mm thik plate, tig welding and final finishing on special lathe that roller all external surface and do the border.....
For do this is necessary a special equipment for the lathe and cost is a my load ...
I hope the final cost will not be impossible ... but i think the result will be nice ....

Fabio

post #286 of 410 Old 02-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 128
Hi Fabio,

Yes, I thought of that method as well. I also thought of a fixture holding the fins in position and furnace brazing the complete assembly.

Every thing I could think of involves a lot of work and would be expensive. I think that's the reason for the "mini casting" you refer to to.

Best of luck with whichever method you choose.

OnEdit:

Thinking a bit further on the furnace brazing, the fixtures could be two end pieces machined similar to dog rings on a manual transmission. The fins would be held in place by the dogs then a threaded bolt/rod through the end pieces clamping everything together. I expect furnace brazing temperatures would exceed anything the pipes would see in use.

Maranello Skunk Works Team Member

Last edited by Ferraridriver; 02-29-2016 at 10:14 AM.
post #287 of 410 Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi at all,
yesterday i picked up from my laser cut company follow:
- all Fe parts for do the jigs welding for 575 muffler, for the straight pipe and for a pipes for a 599 (new project).
- all SS parts for do the mufflers
Company worked very well, parts are good manufactured.
yesterday i picked up from my laser cut company follow:
- all Fe parts for do the jigs welding for 575 muffler, for the straight pipe and for a pipes for a 599 (new project).
- all SS parts for do the mufflers
Company worked very well, parts are good manufactured.

last two picture are the muffler support, are as done by cutting company, before last plastic deformation by means of a my mold ......

Regards

Fabio
Attached Images

Fabio

post #288 of 410 Old 03-10-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi,

yesterday i completed the headers for a 575, that are for a friend of the chat ....
Today i brought to my welder for final welds.
Next week will do the cats point weld, and after alto those to my welder for last welds.
Final phase is the heat shield.

Regards

Fabio
Attached Images

Oli.B likes this.

Fabio

post #289 of 410 Old 03-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Owner

Those headers look amazing Fabio. Congrats

Clyde
post #290 of 410 Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Garage
Hello Fbio,

she is still waitimg!
Attached Images

Present: 575 M
Past: Mondial T, 355 GTS F1, 550 Maranello

Live each day as if it were your last
post #291 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli.B View Post
Hello Fbio,

she is still waitimg!
Hi Oli.

Your headers are done, CATs are under welding, saturday i will do the heat shields on cats and from monday will be ready for you ...

See you soon
Attached Images

Fabio

post #292 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550_Maranello View Post
Hi Oli.

Your headers are done, CATs are under welding, saturday i will do the heat shields on cats and from monday will be ready for you ...

See you soon

Fabio,
Whomever Oli is, he is lucky to live close enough to you so that he can enlist your expertise for the 550/575, as your work is truly outstanding.
Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #293 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 AM
Owner

Garage
Hello Clyde,
Yes Sir I am lucky!!! and thereafter also flat broke :-) but close enough is relative. I have to drive 680 km to meet a friend and genius.
tazandjan likes this.

post #294 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 AM
Owner

F575 sport exhaust manifolds

Quote:
Hello Clyde,
Yes Sir I am lucky!!! and thereafter also flat broke :-) but close enough is relative. I have to drive 680 km to meet a friend and genius.

Wow! That is a very long way, though at least you are on the same continent unlike me. Wish you good luck with your updated 550/575 from Fabio, I am sure it's gonna be awesome. Hopefully that compensates for your monetary outlay (also the fact that everyone else here is jealous of you including me).
Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #295 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Owner

Garage
Hello Clyde,
yes it is on the same continent but in a another Country. many thanks and I am sure that it is worth. but you all have the chance to acquire such an extraordinary exhaust System.
simply Courage!!! :-)
so far as I know you have in america and canada no TÜV. the TÜV checked at us every two years the car on the originality and the road safety. has changed somewhat you lose your street legal.
actually I go in future without authorization. but like my father always said: no risk no fun.

Regards

Oliver

post #296 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 08:32 AM
Owner

Quote:
Hello Clyde,
yes it is on the same continent but in a another Country. many thanks and I am sure that it is worth. but you all have the chance to acquire such an extraordinary exhaust System.
simply Courage!!! :-)
so far as I know you have in america and canada no TÜV. the TÜV checked at us every two years the car on the originality and the road safety. has changed somewhat you lose your street legal.
actually I go in future without authorization. but like my father always said: no risk no fun.

Regards

Oliver
Hello Oliver,
In the USA they have the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) though I don't know how their regulations work with existing cars, I only know that they require a certain standard with new cars.
In Canada, where I live, our auto registration which is renewed every two years in my province of Ontario, works in conjunction with the Canadian Environmental Agency. This means that for cars over a certain age (I believe its 7 years and over) must pass an environmental test each time the registration is up for renewal. I had to run such a test last year for my 575M prior to renewing my registration and fortunately I passed. That is why its seldom here that you see people putting cat delete pipes on.
Clyde
post #297 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Hello Oliver,
In the USA they have the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) though I don't know how their regulations work with existing cars, I only know that they require a certain standard with new cars.
In Canada, where I live, our auto registration which is renewed every two years in my province of Ontario, works in conjunction with the Canadian Environmental Agency. This means that for cars over a certain age (I believe its 7 years and over) must pass an environmental test each time the registration is up for renewal. I had to run such a test last year for my 575M prior to renewing my registration and fortunately I passed. That is why its seldom here that you see people putting cat delete pipes on.
Clyde
Oliver, Clyde:
thanks for compliments but are too much ...
About registration and/or annual check, my system with 200 cps CAT (the system for Oliver and the one installed on my 575) is able to pass the pollution test (at least as is do in Italy), i have the pollution test done by my dealer that i posted time ago, and that i attached below....
The only problem could be if the people that will do the test lift the car and are able to know that exhaust is not OE ....
But, as my dealer think , is more difficult to know for normal people or technicians that is not original ...

In Italy when you go to pollution check, you go with cooling water in operating temperature, they insert sensor on exhaust and register the pollution..
In this way with a cat the thing are all time ok.
With my system the pollution Euro 3 homologation of 575 probably not are satisfied because the homologation test is do starting from cold engine, and is in this phase that there are the max pollution, and is this the reason that Ferrari installed the secondary air system and moved the cats near the heads ...
But also i have installed the cats near the heads ...perhaps my system is Euro 3? ....

Best Regards
Attached Images

Fabio

post #298 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550_Maranello View Post
Oliver, Clyde:
thanks for compliments but are too much ...
About registration and/or annual check, my system with 200 cps CAT (the system for Oliver and the one installed on my 575) is able to pass the pollution test (at least as is do in Italy), i have the pollution test done by my dealer that i posted time ago, and that i attached below....
The only problem could be if the people that will do the test lift the car and are able to know that exhaust is not OE ....
But, as my dealer think , is more difficult to know for normal people or technicians that is not original ...

In Italy when you go to pollution check, you go with cooling water in operating temperature, they insert sensor on exhaust and register the pollution..
In this way with a cat the thing are all time ok.
With my system the pollution Euro 3 homologation of 575 probably not are satisfied because the homologation test is do starting from cold engine, and is in this phase that there are the max pollution, and is this the reason that Ferrari installed the secondary air system and moved the cats near the heads ...
But also i have installed the cats near the heads ...perhaps my system is Euro 3? ....

Best Regards
That's very interesting Fabio though I don't know how these figures you posted would relate to our Canadian regulations. Regarding what you are saying with respect to cold starts and the highest level of pollution at that point, I wonder if there are ways to mitigate that so that when one brings the car for the test he will have a better chance of passing?
Believe me if I was in a position to take advantage of your headers financially now I would, right now I am waiting to install the FHP and HGTC suspension parts i have purchased, and then my next project will be the installation of better or bigger brakes. I hope my financial position will allow me to try other things as well, as for example implementing your headers.
Out of curiosity Fabio, do you have a list or menu of what you offer as far as these parts for the 550/575 and what the cost might be of each? Though I am not in the position to take advantage of something now I might in the future.
Clyde
post #299 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Owner

Garage
Hello Clyde,
I did not know that you have in canada also a kind of TÜV. if you need help in selecting a larger brake register with me.
I have already done (look at my Garage).

Hello Fabio,

mille grazie

regards
Oliver

post #300 of 410 Old 03-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Owner

Quote:
Hello Clyde,
I did not know that you have in canada also a kind of TÜV. if you need help in selecting a larger brake register with me.
I have already done (look at my Garage).

Hello Fabio,

mille grazie

regards
Oliver
Thank you Oliver,
I have already discussed this with Terry who you may know from various threads on FerrariLife and who is extremely knowledgeable, perhaps the most knowledgable individual there is on the 550/575. He has suggested Mov'It brakes from Australia, while Barry who had a 550 Challenge car and a 550, suggested Porterfields. The shop I normally bring my 575 to has suggested the Brembo big brake kit which they claim they may be able to get me for a good price (we'll see), and a knowledgeable local friend of mine who also has a 575 (and who has had a lot of previous sports cars that he tracked including various Porsches and a De Tomaso Pantera) says he thinks its a waste of money for me and that I should just change the pads to Pagid pads which squeal but stop much better. So as you can see I have had a lot of advice, though I would be interested to hear yours as well. Personally I am inclined to go for some type of a big brake kit (whether Mov'It, Porterfield, or Brembo) when I'm ready.
Clyde

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode