456 Exhaust manifold to tubing interface - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
456 Exhaust manifold to tubing interface

I have a 456 engine with it's original exhaust manifolds but no entire car. I must fabricate the rest of the exhaust system.

Can anyone tell me anything about what connects to these manifolds?
It appears to use the "donut" gasket style, there are captive clamp plates on each manifold with 2 through bolts.

I'd like to make some mating Nickel alloy (inconel) plates for the other side and either make or weld in the flared part. Are those donut gaskets and dimensions a standard item?

I've made custom headers before but never worked with these kind of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Michael, I suspect your manifolds are very similar to the ones on my 550, which are presently off the car as the engine is out.

Those double outlets on each header connect to 1 cat converter on each side of the car in a "2 in, 1 out" configuration.

I can get you the donut gasket dimensions if you like. I think I have both the new & old set out in the garage "somewhere".

The 2 hole flanges on the manifolds and the cats are very thick - probably like 3/4" or so, and as you've probably noticed, they're a slip fit and swivel around for better fitting, etc.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Hi John.
It looks like the 456 donut gaskets have a 1.98"/50mm ID. The spacing of the bolts looks to be 75mm.
I'm curious if yours are the same.

I'm sure I've seen a thread where someone made these parts I'm asking about but I can't find it.

One odd detail is that the plates on the manifolds appear to have a chrome or nickel like plating, of course that has dissapeared over time. it looks like ceramic coated headers that were coated over poorly prepped metal.
Speaking of ceramic, it might be possible to disassemble the manifolds and have them coated IF they could be super cleaned, maybe an acid process like electro polishing? I would think it would keep things cooler and prevent cracking. Just thinking aloud...

post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Michael, confirmed, 50mm ID, 61.5mm OD & 17.5mm thick on the donuts.

I'm getting about 76mm C/C on the flange holes, but it was a quickie measurement.

I think FBB on the other site had some fabrication done in order to fit aftermarket cats on one of his 550's.

On the ceramic coating, I've heard/read of people cutting the heat shields off, however I was lazy and left them on and had the whole thing coated "as is". I used PolyDyn here in Houston as I've had good luck with them in the past coating turbochargers and turbo manifolds.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode