My first 456M - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
My first 456M

We purchased a 1999 456M GTA on Tuesday, my wife an I drove to Wisconsin and checked it out then loaded it on the trailer for the drive home. Its just what we have been wanting for long distance driving. The few problems it has seem to be normal, first the headliner is drooping, the sun visor on the passenger side will not stay up, the rear deck and passenger side air bag cover leather has shrunk and some slight shrinkage around the dash pod. There is an anoying noise when the car is idling and continues when you turn the car off for a second, I'm guessing its coming from a heat shield under the car because thats where its coming from. Major service was supposedly done at 20k miles a few years ago but I'll check the date code on the belts to verify that. All the rubber hoses including the one under the intake manifold appear to be new so thats a good sign. Car has almost 24k miles documented by carfax and the date code on the tires are 2000 so new tires are on order. The AC doesn't blow cold air so just after unloading it yesterday I hood up my 134 gauges to the system and it has freon but the compressor is not kicking on so I'll check the electrical system out. All other things function and the stereo you can hear! I am not impressed with having to press the key fob in order to get the car to start, I will look into bypassing that. If anyone has some helpful hints pass my way please.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 06:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
We purchased a 1999 456M GTA on Tuesday, my wife an I drove to Wisconsin and checked it out then loaded it on the trailer for the drive home. Its just what we have been wanting for long distance driving. The few problems it has seem to be normal, first the headliner is drooping, the sun visor on the passenger side will not stay up, the rear deck and passenger side air bag cover leather has shrunk and some slight shrinkage around the dash pod. There is an anoying noise when the car is idling and continues when you turn the car off for a second, I'm guessing its coming from a heat shield under the car because thats where its coming from. Major service was supposedly done at 20k miles a few years ago but I'll check the date code on the belts to verify that. All the rubber hoses including the one under the intake manifold appear to be new so thats a good sign. Car has almost 24k miles documented by carfax and the date code on the tires are 2000 so new tires are on order. The AC doesn't blow cold air so just after unloading it yesterday I hood up my 134 gauges to the system and it has freon but the compressor is not kicking on so I'll check the electrical system out. All other things function and the stereo you can hear! I am not impressed with having to press the key fob in order to get the car to start, I will look into bypassing that. If anyone has some helpful hints pass my way please.

Good luck, Jack, to you and your beautiful lady!

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #3 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 AM
sss
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 155
Looks like somebody installed the SRI coolant hoses which is a good thing....

post #4 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Jack! You're a mad man!... At this pace you're going to have to build a bigger garage!

How'd you find the car? Online ad?

Congrats!
post #5 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Jack! You're a mad man!... At this pace you're going to have to build a bigger garage!

How'd you find the car? Online ad?

Congrats!
We are adding on to the garage 30x40 feet to the south, but plan on putting all my cnc equipment in it. Found it on ebay, it was just listed for a few hours so I called the guy and decided the price was to good to be true so we drove to Wisconsin on Sunday morning just after talking with him, car seems to be in good condition other than what I listed and low mileage. We had a 400a which was a great cruiser and the same color as this car but nothing compared to the 456 luxury and performance. I had my hopes for a 550, 575 or even a 612 but bang for the buck you can't touch these cars. A good friend of ours is flying in from the Bahamas, we hope to take advantage of this great weather and take your 308, 348 and the 456 to Branson for one day next week when new tires show up, wish you where closer you could join us and take your pick. Hows that Italian rocket your riding doing?

A bunch of stuff.
post #6 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss View Post
Looks like somebody installed the SRI coolant hoses which is a good thing....
I am hoping that this was part of the major service, I will be disappointed if the belts haven't been changed.

A bunch of stuff.
post #7 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Jack- Very nice. Get used to pushing the button to disable the immobilizer. Did you get three fobs with her or only one?

As long as she passed a leak-down check to make sure she does not have one of the bad sets of valve guides, all the other stuff is easily fixable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jack- Very nice. Get used to pushing the button to disable the immobilizer. Did you get three fobs with her or only one?

As long as she passed a leak-down check to make sure she does not have one of the bad sets of valve guides, all the other stuff is easily fixable.
One fob, it went through an auction in NJ so you know what happened to the rest of them. Terry has anyone tried to bypass the alarm ECU to get around that fob button? No leak down test, but it doesn't smoke and has more than enough power for my wife to drive, I bet there are several years left before something gives, besides it was a deal.

A bunch of stuff.
post #9 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jack- There have been discussions about it here and on the other site, but I have not really followed them. Do you have the Alarm PIN? Document below shows you what it looks like.

As a habit pattern, I lock her with the remote every time I stop, including getting gas. That way, you always use the fob to get in and have 120 seconds to start her before the immobilizer arms again. Prevents forgetting and then either she will not turn over, or turns over and will not start, depending on model.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs.doc (2.04 MB, 253 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jack- There have been discussions about it here and on the other site, but I have not really followed them. Do you have the Alarm PIN? Document below shows you what it looks like.

As a habit pattern, I lock her with the remote every time I stop, including getting gas. That way, you always use the fob to get in and have 120 seconds to start her before the immobilizer arms again. Prevents forgetting and then either she will not turn over, or turns over and will not start, depending on model.
Yes I do have that number in the owners manual. If I can get a schematic of the system I might be able to tell whats going on and if its possible. I'm sure it just provides a +5v or goes to ground signal to some part of ecu that will allow the start relay to energize. We don't go places you have to worry about theft, now that I have said that someone will steal something.

A bunch of stuff.
post #11 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

odd

I just checked the AC compressor and its working, high side and low side is spot on, but hot air is coming out of the vents, after looking at the diagram I see ferrari uses a small pump for their climate control on the heating side of the system, so there must be a problem either on the control of the pump or a valve or both.

A bunch of stuff.
post #12 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Owner

Quote:
....A good friend of ours is flying in from the Bahamas, we hope to take advantage of this great weather and take your 308, 348 and the 456 to Branson for one day next week when new tires show up, wish you where closer you could join us and take your pick. Hows that Italian rocket your riding doing?
That's awesome, both the garage and the sweet purchase! I wish we were closer too, especially when these winter months are coming. Ugh, I could go without another winter of dozens of snow storms. It's funny, whenever Allison and I dream about moving away from the hustle and bustle around here, I always check how far whatever city we're looking at is from Gravette.

The Italian cement mixer is running great. The thing really goes like a raped ape. The only street car that could hang with it is the Veyron, which is just insane. I've put about 3,000 miles on it so far this summer. There are some spectacular, winding country roads that start about 45 min north of us... Every weekend I'm up there while allison is home studying.

My true love is still cars though. Someday I'll do that 458 engine swap into a 308.

Quote:
I just checked the AC compressor and its working, high side and low side is spot on, but hot air is coming out of the vents, after looking at the diagram I see ferrari uses a small pump for their climate control on the heating side of the system, so there must be a problem either on the control of the pump or a valve or both.
Do the 456's have the counter-intuitive stop button for the hvac?
post #13 of 64 Old 09-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jack- With the PIN, you can get a new set of 3 fobs from Ferrari that will come with a new PIN. Easy enough to program the Alarm ECU to accept the new fobs.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #14 of 64 Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Taz I will have to check into getting new fobs, thank God the key is normal, the keys for my wifes Cayenne are 250 each then another 175 to program.

Bret yes, there is a button that says OFF, which when depressed cuts out the compressor or visa versa I forgot already. The compressor works, you can see liquid flowing in the sight glass and also the low side and high side indicate a normal operating system. If the expansion valve was plugged the high side would show that but its must be OK. I ordered a workshop manual for it, this will give me a better picture.

A bunch of stuff.
post #15 of 64 Old 09-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Owner

By the way, Jack, you're ruining my life by making me think about next Fcar purchases! I spent almost an hour last night going through classifieds for 355's and 550's.

If I was closer, this would be extremely tempting... definitely a storied car, but you could go over the mechanics and then have a car you could drive like you stole and not worry to no end about scuffing the undertray, etc. Plus, 355's are actually really nice to work on provided you have a lift (as you know with your 348).
Ferrari 355 Berlinetta | eBay
post #16 of 64 Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Bret I've looked at that car for the past couple weeks its been on ebay, its a very attractive price, if it where close by it would be worth a look. Never owning a 355 but have driven a couple they have that sound that is unmistakeable, the 5 valve engines carry the formula one sound that puts goose bumps on your arm when they pass, of course so does the 550 v12 with tubi.

A bunch of stuff.
post #17 of 64 Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Owner

Quote:
...the 5 valve engines carry the formula one sound that puts goose bumps on your arm when they pass, of course so does the 550 v12 with tubi.
You hit it on the head. Once I get Allison done with school, the goal will be to have a 3-car garage with that little red 308, a silver 355 and a titanium 550. If I win the lottery along the way, we'll make it a 4-car garage and add a red F50!
post #18 of 64 Old 09-27-2014, 02:25 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Jack, sorry to be coming in late, I've been off the grid for a couple of weeks in one of the big sandboxes . Still over here, but a little closer to civilization than I was last week.

Congrats & sincere best wishes on the new acquisition! I'm really envious - I love my 550, but your GTA is really the better car to have here in Houston. Wish you were a little closer - we could have a lot of fun hotrodding that puppy

Let me know if/when you're ready to put a COP ignition system on it; I've been itching to do a 456.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #19 of 64 Old 09-27-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Jack, sorry to be coming in late, I've been off the grid for a couple of weeks in one of the big sandboxes . Still over here, but a little closer to civilization than I was last week.

Congrats & sincere best wishes on the new acquisition! I'm really envious - I love my 550, but your GTA is really the better car to have here in Houston. Wish you were a little closer - we could have a lot of fun hotrodding that puppy

Let me know if/when you're ready to put a COP ignition system on it; I've been itching to do a 456.
I was wondering if you where out of the country, I sent you an email last week. Drop me an email when you get home and rested up.
post #20 of 64 Old 09-27-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Belts where made in the 48th week of of 2009, so there has been a major done on the car in the last 4 years sometime. One bit of disappointment is the rattle is not coming from the exhaust but from above the exhaust in the drive shaft tube, been reading up on it, seems its a problem on some cars so I guess I tear into it this coming week. Today I'm pulling the wheels off the 208 turbo and putting on the 456, they are the same size rims and see what custom wheels look like on it.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.

Last edited by P2164; 09-27-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode