deciding between two different 612's to buy - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
deciding between two different 612's to buy

Hi

I'm deciding to purchase a 612 and have my eye on two different ones. The first one is an early 2008 and I love the exterior color and do like the interior color but not first choice on that one. Otherwise do like that car. 9,000 mi. great condition.

The second one is a 2009 with HGT2. Exterior color is 2nd choice but interior 1st choice color. Obviously love glass roof, carbon fiber steering wheel. unfortunately price is is $30,000 more. 8,800 miles. also great condition. I don't care as much about nicer rims as others I suppose.

Any suggestions or comments? Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
2009 is worth 10 - 15k plus all the options would be my choice.

I switched to the 599 rims on a 2006 and the car looked and handled far better.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 AM
sss
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 155
Hard to offer advice. It's an affair of the heart. La passione....buy the one you love, or wait if you aren't in love. I waited 13 months to find the right car.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Here are pics of my 2008 612 OTO in excellent condition (major performed this year, full service records).

I'm looking at possibly trading into a 458 so if interested please let me know as I've not listed her yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ypdpp2a99...JZ5eH4eta?dl=0
post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice so far. Obviously finding the right one of these cars is difficult as there are so few for sale, and as you said this is a business decision and an emotional purchase.... The colors I am looking for aren't the most common, but no way out of the ordinary - i just like darker colors inside and out. I didn't want to offend anyone's choices so I didn't mention which ones I didn't like.

I think there has to be a bit of compromise as again there are just so few out there for sale.... narrowing it down to my top choice exterior with 2nd choice interior to 2nd choice exterior and 1st choice interior may be the best i can do.....

Thank you for the advice on price... a 10-15k premium for 2009 over early 2008 sounds reasonable... indirectly I believe are saying I shouldn't be paying 30,000-40,000 premium over the other older car... I thought that sounded high and told the near car dealer, but that dealer is being very inflexible on their price.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Mark- Welcome to Ferrari Life. The OTOs have a manettino, 599 twin plate clutch and gearbox, plus F1 Superfast, so many desirable updates that are not cosmetic. Good luck on getting a good price on her.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Riozilla,
Please send me some information on your 612. I have begun looking for one, and I like your color.
Thanks, Rich [email protected]
post #8 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 AM

I have a 2006 612 Scaglietti, car is Nero Daytona over Cuoio, daytona seats. 6spd MANUAL car. Meticulous records since its delivery, up to date with its major (May 14), car currently has 599 Challenge wheels on it, but I have the original wheels. Car has an AMAZING Nouvolari exhaust on it, and I have the original as well. Full front 3M clear bra, car has 15.5k miles. I'm thinking about selling her to help finance another Fcar purchase. If Nero Daytona is one of your colors then message me, I can send you some pics.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Hello and welcome!

I have owned a fully specced (minus carbon brakes) 2008 and I currently own a fully specced OTO.

Both cars are marvellous and cope perfectly with what they are designed for. If you plan to push the car exceptionally hard, go for the OTO. Otherwise, if you find your dream colour combo and the car is fresh; go for it. Just make sure you don't pay OTO price levels on a non OTO car. The OTO upgrades are expensive engineering.

Also, the option list is very long and very expensive on the 612. Make sure to compare the specs on each car. Don't overpay for lower specced cars.

The glass roof really is a nice feature, particularly if you drive a lot in the mountains or down town. The additional panorama is quite liberating.

Good luck and take your time, as time is on your side.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Last edited by il Capolino; 09-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's advice. I love this forum and will be checking back regularly as a new Ferrari owner.

I decided against the OTO car. That dealer was not willing to budge on the price and their car was nice (by the pictures - i didn't see the car), but I do think a $60,000 premium was high for the difference between a early and late 2008, though i understand there is a difference between the two and the oto had the HGT2, ccm brakes, glass roof, etc... just a lot of money for that difference in my opinion...

So that brought me down to 2 cars.. one was that early 2008 that was great outside color, 2nd choice inside. I flew across the country and saw the car and went to a ferrari dealer for the ppi. a few minor fixes and it was good.

Then i saw a car that was absolutely beautiful inside.. probably not as nice outside color. it was 2007 with about 4,000 more miles than the 2008 and a few less options. no package as well. I flew a couple hours to go see that car. I liked it but it was a few thousand more dollars than the 2008 car and obviously older with more miles and less options. I brought it to a ferrari dealer and checked out ok.

I liked the inside so much i figured if the dealer dropped the price a bit... at least below the 2008 car with less mileage then i'd take it. it was at a huge dealership of a mass market car that must have got the 612 on a trade in... i went to negotiate and found out it was their company policy not to drop their prices $.01 the manager told me they priced the car right. I told them they didn't. they were too high compared to the 20 others for sale in the US. They said they knew the market. I mentioned they didn't know what the car was (he kept calling it "one of his used cars on the lot"). He didn't even know they stopped making the car. He said he'd have the car sold by the weekend if I didn't take it.

He did offer me a gift card for a few hundred dollars for an oil change though if i bought the car for full price! I told him if he changed his mind and wanted to lower the price I'd take the car. Later in the day I emailed back to see if wanted to sell me the car and they confirmed they smart priced the car to the market.

So.... I took the early 2008 car and it arrives on Friday!
post #11 of 13 Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Mark- Congratulations and there was a major upgrade to Motronic 7.3.2 in late 07 that you have on your 08. Those interim 08s are great deals. Even if they are missing the OTO features, the price break more than makes up for that.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 PM
sss
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 155
Welcome to the 612 family !
post #13 of 13 Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Congrats!!

You will enjoy it, the 612 is lovely! It easily becomes a keeper since its design is timeless.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode