Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
How many do you want? I have six sitting on my desk
Attached Images

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Last edited by cribbj; 05-10-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Pm incoming

post #4 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Hey John,
Are these switchable Steering ECU's? I see that Dave has commented in a thread in another chat from another site that there are switchable steering ECU's. Is this for the 550 or 575?

Clyde
post #5 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Clyde- All the switchables sold from what Dave said. You would not really want one with F1, at any rate. Sport affects more on a 575 than it does on a 550.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Clyde, the switchable ECU harnesses were really just (2) steering ECU's wired in parallel. One was the stock, overboosted ECU, the other was the FHP clone, and we had a set of relays to select one or the other. We also added some support electronics in there for voltage regulation, elimination of voltage kickbacks, etc.

We used the SPORT switch in the 550 to activate the selection of the FHP clone ECU, and with the SPORT in off, it reverted to the normal stock ECU. It was sort of a poorboy's manettino, but it worked well

This was Dave's brainchild, and while I assisted with some of the theory and the support, he sourced all the components and wired them up, and then swore he'd never do them again once they all sold.

Now we provide FHP clones, and/or steering ECU's with customised curves.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Clyde- All the switchables sold from what Dave said. You would not really want one with F1, at any rate. Sport affects more on a 575 than it does on a 550.
Terry, certainly you can have a switchable steering ECU setup on a 575 F1, all you do is use a different switch (the dummy switch for example) then it has no effect on the shocks or F1 system.

Maranello Skunk Works Team Member
post #8 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Dave- Affirmative, just not hooked up through the Sport switch. I do not turn on Sport until the transaxle is warm. Permanent FHP works for me.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
Hi Terry,
Since I have a 575, and the switchable steering ECU affects more than just the steering on the 575, why do you say I wouldn't want the switchable version? Or perhaps, do you feel I will prefer the fixed sport feel on the steering while allowing the sport button to control other aspects of the car?

Clyde
post #10 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Clyde, the switchable ECU harnesses were really just (2) steering ECU's wired in parallel. One was the stock, overboosted ECU, the other was the FHP clone, and we had a set of relays to select one or the other. We also added some support electronics in there for voltage regulation, elimination of voltage kickbacks, etc.

We used the SPORT switch in the 550 to activate the selection of the FHP clone ECU, and with the SPORT in off, it reverted to the normal stock ECU. It was sort of a poorboy's manettino, but it worked well

This was Dave's brainchild, and while I assisted with some of the theory and the support, he sourced all the components and wired them up, and then swore he'd never do them again once they all sold.

Now we provide FHP clones, and/or steering ECU's with customised curves.

Dear John
Now I finally understand why you no longer offer selectable steering ECU's and why the fixed steering ECU is preferred.
Thanks
Clyde
post #11 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Owner

You know what, what the heck, how do I order the Steering ECU from you now? Should I email you directly and have you send me an order form or something?
Clyde
post #12 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Clyde, have sent you the PayPal info.

Best,

John

post #13 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Owner

John,
Paid. Looking forward to receiving and installing the Steering ECU. Thanks to you and Dave for taking the time and effort to develop these upgrades for us 550/575 owner/enthusiasts.
Cheers,
Clyde
post #14 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Great, we'll look forward to hearing how you like it. Some (notably Dave & myself) found the FHP to be a bit too heavy at low speeds, so if you find that to be so, let me know and we can sort it out with a custom curved ECU.

To understand this better, here is a graph showing the curves that are programmed into the Stock ECU, the FHP ECU (which we call our Sport), and our Custom ECU. This graph, although not scaled, has speed on the “X” axis, with hydraulic P/S assist on the “Y” axis. So at the X/Y intercept (origin) which is 0 speed, there is lots of P/S boost, and then way out on the “X” axis at high speed there’s little or no boost (except with the overboosted Stock ECU). The magic of FHP and our Custom ECU is in the shape of the curve and at what speed the boost goes away.

You’ll notice that the FHP ECU’s boost drops off like a rock at a fairly low speed. This is what produces the “heaviness” feel for Dave & me at neighborhood cruising speeds (~ 20 MPH?). Then look at the Custom ECU curve – it retains the hydraulic boost to a higher speed than the FHP, but not ridiculously high like the stock ECU, and plus, it also allows it to drop off more gradually than the FHP ECU.
Attached Images

post #15 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Great, we'll look forward to hearing how you like it. Some (notably Dave & myself) found the FHP to be a bit too heavy at low speeds, so if you find that to be so, let me know and we can sort it out with a custom curved ECU.

To understand this better, here is a graph showing the curves that are programmed into the Stock ECU, the FHP ECU (which we call our Sport), and our Custom ECU. This graph, although not scaled, has speed on the “X” axis, with hydraulic P/S assist on the “Y” axis. So at the X/Y intercept (origin) which is 0 speed, there is lots of P/S boost, and then way out on the “X” axis at high speed there’s little or no boost (except with the overboosted Stock ECU). The magic of FHP and our Custom ECU is in the shape of the curve and at what speed the boost goes away.

You’ll notice that the FHP ECU’s boost drops off like a rock at a fairly low speed. This is what produces the “heaviness” feel for Dave & me at neighborhood cruising speeds (~ 20 MPH?). Then look at the Custom ECU curve – it retains the hydraulic boost to a higher speed than the FHP, but not ridiculously high like the stock ECU, and plus, it also allows it to drop off more gradually than the FHP ECU.
Thanks John,
Out of curiosity?
If I should find that your FSW Sport Steering ECU is too heavy at low speeds like Dave and yourself have, would you need to send me out a new one, or could it just be reprogrammed from here?
Clyde
post #16 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Thanks John,
Out of curiosity?
If I should find that your FSW Sport Steering ECU is too heavy at low speeds like Dave and yourself have, would you need to send me out a new one, or could it just be reprogrammed from here?
Clyde
Clyde, I can't do remote programming, so we'll work something out on another ECU.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Clyde- You probably will not have any trouble with the straight FHP ECU on a 575M. Works fine for me, but then, mine has been that way from day one. Feels a lot like Dino 246 steering to me.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 18 Old 05-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Owner

Quote:
Clyde- You probably will not have any trouble with the straight FHP ECU on a 575M. Works fine for me, but then, mine has been that way from day one. Feels a lot like Dino 246 steering to me.

Terry
Though I've never driven a Dino, just the thought of my 575 having a steering feel like that amazing classic which has always been lauded for its fantastic steering feel makes me very excited to receive the ECU and have it installed. Thanks for the encouragement
Clyde

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode