First trip in the 575 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
First trip in the 575

Hi All
Thought I would share the driving impressions of my 575 after a 1,200 km round trip from Prague to Budapest.

With my wife we decided to visit a friend (ehm a Porsche friend) in Budapest and instead of driving one of the 911s we took the Maranello.

The 575 performed flawlessly and brought us there an back in great confort and also with a good average speed. The effortless manner in which it builds high speed ( I will not write which speed) is just incredible (I have been used for years to the totally different 911 na flat six torque and power distribution).

Within the 1200 km we drove on the highway I never used anything else than the 5th and 6th gear. The V12 is indeed masterpiece. On the fast turns , although mine is neither FHP or GTC , it revealed a good stability and felt very well planted. There is only one aspect where I am not enthusiastic and it is the brakes which in my opinion are not up to the rest of the car . At low / moderate speeds no issue , but when you need to slow down from higher speeds I would prefer more braking power and modulation . I guess that there are ways how to address this and anyway does not detract from my enjoyment of the 575. I really like it very much and canít wait to drive it again.

As a side note: the 575 triggers conversations and have received lots of compliments (in the hotel parking, in the fuel stations etc). Seems that people like the shape of the Maranello . Have also put 3-4 kids at the wheel and have them photographed by their parents (I think it is a duty of petrolheads to transmit this passion to the kids).

And now the best: my Porsche friend in Budapest after seeing the Maranello and showing it also to his wife is already looking for one himself too. (and this from a die hard Porsche guy who just recently said he is not interested in Ferraris at all!).

Regards

Alex
p.s. did not take pictures sadly , just this one when loading the 575 in the garage - yes no luggage set unfortunately, it is on the to do list J

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Seems that you really enjoyed this trip. I have been told from V12 Ferrari owners that the way the V12 delivers it's power is amazing, soooooooooo easy for these engines to get he cars up to speed.Enjoy it in good health and take care.As for the brakes, there is always the option to upgrade them.Oh,and forget to push it hard when overtaking a Prius, the face the eco guys put is just something you have to see by yourself. Greetings from Greece.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Nice write up. Sounds like the V12 bonding process is well and truly under way

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Alex- I would have the brake fluid replaced and system bled, including the master cylinder, if the brakes do not feel good. A change of pads to Porterfields or something similar will also improve feel and braking power. Normally, stock Maranello brakes are quite good. If you can stand the squeal until seated, FHP pads (Pagid orange racing pads) will really improve braking. I had them on my 575M until I put on Mov'It ceramics. With 15,000 miles (24,00 kms), they squealed only about once or twice a month.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by riviera View Post
Hi All
Thought I would share the driving impressions of my 575 after a 1,200 km round trip from Prague to Budapest.

With my wife we decided to visit a friend (ehm a Porsche friend) in Budapest and instead of driving one of the 911s we took the Maranello.

The 575 performed flawlessly and brought us there an back in great confort and also with a good average speed. The effortless manner in which it builds high speed ( I will not write which speed) is just incredible (I have been used for years to the totally different 911 na flat six torque and power distribution).

Within the 1200 km we drove on the highway I never used anything else than the 5th and 6th gear. The V12 is indeed masterpiece. On the fast turns , although mine is neither FHP or GTC , it revealed a good stability and felt very well planted. There is only one aspect where I am not enthusiastic and it is the brakes which in my opinion are not up to the rest of the car . At low / moderate speeds no issue , but when you need to slow down from higher speeds I would prefer more braking power and modulation . I guess that there are ways how to address this and anyway does not detract from my enjoyment of the 575. I really like it very much and canít wait to drive it again.

As a side note: the 575 triggers conversations and have received lots of compliments (in the hotel parking, in the fuel stations etc). Seems that people like the shape of the Maranello . Have also put 3-4 kids at the wheel and have them photographed by their parents (I think it is a duty of petrolheads to transmit this passion to the kids).

And now the best: my Porsche friend in Budapest after seeing the Maranello and showing it also to his wife is already looking for one himself too. (and this from a die hard Porsche guy who just recently said he is not interested in Ferraris at all!).

Regards

Alex
p.s. did not take pictures sadly , just this one when loading the 575 in the garage - yes no luggage set unfortunately, it is on the to do list J

Alex,
I'm happy that you share with us your impressions ...
Yes the engine of Maranello is a great engine, is not the 599 but, however he have a lot of torque and a flat distribution of it, then with two gears you can drive in more situations ....
I like listen the engine sing high then i shift and i use gears low for my enjoy ....
I think also without FHP or the GTC package, is a great GT and also the brakes are proportioned to a normal Gt use of the car, Terry has advised you well, change oil and try another type of pads.
Alex, same note for me: the 575 triggers conversations and receive lots of compliments every where i stop, people likes the shape of the Maranello.
"I really like it very much and canít wait to drive it again" ... Same for me every time
I had the annual service only one week ago, and now is ready to drive, weather and my little girl permitted .....
I'm happy for you Alex !!!!

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #6 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Alexandros / Fiorano > Thank you for the kind words! Yes the bonding with the V12 has started really well, so much that I am counting the days to each weekend when I have the chance to drive it.

Terry - thank you as always for the precious advises .My 575 just came out from the yearly service and timing belts replacement . All the fluids have been changed (engine oil, gearbox oil and brake fluids). I talked to the service guy and he said rotors, pads were fine. My remark is focused on high speed braking , I had a couple of 250 km/h to 100 km/h brakings and felt the braking power on the edge, maybe is just a matter of getting used to it. However my complaint is not really related to braking in "normal" driving conditions. I might follow your advice and install the fhp pads.

Fabio - thank you ! At least for me the 575 torque and power is more than enough . I also love to hear the engine "sing" the V12 has a quite unique sound. This morning I was at a pedestrian crossing when a brand new FF passed by "allegramente" and the sound of that V12 was just incredible.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Hi Alex, I am glad you are enjoying the marvellous breadth of ability the 575M has, sounds like a great tour. I have to agree with you on the brakes, they are a little underwhelming in comparison to the amount of speed you can build up and maintain.

I looked into changing to CCB systems like Terry has, but in the end changed out the discs and pads for ECB items but most importantly replaced the brake lines with stainless steal items and aviation quality fittings. Very happy with the result, and not expensive. Maybe at the next rotor change I will do the full upgrade to CCB items if the price is right.

In the mean time enjoy.

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Michael - thank you for the advises,much appreciated, I will look into the pads and brake lines.

Today went for a short drive with my good friend and his Carrera GT. We drove up in Dresden where there was a nice stretch of non speed restricted and traffic free highways. The CGT is of course faster than the 575 but not as much as i would have thought. In 5th gear from 130 km/h the two are more or less even up to 200 km/h, above this speed and up to 270 (more we could not do) the CGT takes 3-4 car lenghts. Anyway this was not the purpose of the drive but rather to enjoy two magnificent cars. The Maranello is very refined, fast and confortable. The CGT is raw , loud and dramatic and in one word spectacular. The sound is among the best I ever heard.
Managed to do few photos
Attached Images

post #9 of 31 Old 04-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Alex, wonderful, wonderful reports !

As for the brakes, predecessors of 550 all were a bit to be desired with their brakes, talking about Daytona and the rest. Besides, if you are used to Porsche brakes, that is understandable.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #10 of 31 Old 04-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Nice! Budapest is a good place to spot Maranello's - Vitalone's and mine were there a year ago too! Shame we didn't make it to Prague, I still haven't been to that lovely city.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #11 of 31 Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by riviera View Post
Michael - thank you for the advises,much appreciated, I will look into the pads and brake lines.

Today went for a short drive with my good friend and his Carrera GT. We drove up in Dresden where there was a nice stretch of non speed restricted and traffic free highways. The CGT is of course faster than the 575 but not as much as i would have thought. In 5th gear from 130 km/h the two are more or less even up to 200 km/h, above this speed and up to 270 (more we could not do) the CGT takes 3-4 car lenghts. Anyway this was not the purpose of the drive but rather to enjoy two magnificent cars. The Maranello is very refined, fast and confortable. The CGT is raw , loud and dramatic and in one word spectacular. The sound is among the best I ever heard.
Managed to do few photos

Alex,
wonderful couple of cars ...!
Nice report and nice pictures, thanks!
CGT is like a F1 roads adapted with a sound very strong, I saw only two car one in Rome and one in Milano Marittima, this last his owner is from Bologna.
In Italy there aren't ... "stretch of non speed restricted and traffic free highways" .....

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #12 of 31 Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

JImmy - thank you much appreciated . I will share more as soon as I drive more the Maranello. By the way have enjoyed your Sakura photos , truly amazing. With regards to the brakes , you might be right , I might be used to the Porsche brakes which are indeed good . I haven't been driving anything else than 911s in the last 14 years (aside from german daily drivers) so I have a certain bias. But it is not a complaint to the Maranello just my subjective perception.

Onno - thank you! If you ever drive or fly by Prague, drop me a note, Will be glad to show around. We have a (small) group of petrolheads here in Prague and my good friend has the third biggest Carrera 2.7 RS collection in the world (yes really).

Fabio - thanks for the compliments. The Carrera GT is really an extreme car but once you get used to it, it can be driven as any other sport car as long as you are careful and treat it with great respect. The often mentioned challenging clutch is in my opinion a non issue, It is just a matter of getting used to the release point that is very early. Also, If well maintained the CGT has bullet proof reliability.There is one currently for sale in Italy with 130,000 km and this says a lot.
Yes in Germany you can still drive at speed without the fear of having your driving license ripped, the question I always ask myself how much will that last?
Anyhow the Maranello drives wonderfully well. I am very enthusiastic about the combination of torque, suppleness and sense of occasion it delivers. I am also satisfied with the F1 box , when you drive normally is smooth and when you put it in sport and change at 6500 - 7000 rpm is very sharp and quick in the gear change.
In one word , It is a joy to drive . I now start to understand the magic you guys here have been experiencing for years. Pity I should have bought it before. .
Anothe photo of the two:
Attached Images

post #13 of 31 Old 04-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Alex- Great photos. The beauty and the beast.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Car looks great Alex, enjoy!
post #15 of 31 Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 575er View Post
Hi Alex, I am glad you are enjoying the marvellous breadth of ability the 575M has, sounds like a great tour. I have to agree with you on the brakes, they are a little underwhelming in comparison to the amount of speed you can build up and maintain.

I looked into changing to CCB systems like Terry has, but in the end changed out the discs and pads for ECB items but most importantly replaced the brake lines with stainless steal items and aviation quality fittings. Very happy with the result, and not expensive. Maybe at the next rotor change I will do the full upgrade to CCB items if the price is right.

In the mean time enjoy.

Cheers
Michael
Michael, don't want to hi-jack this thread but could you give me some more info on what you did with the brakes? Cheers

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #16 of 31 Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Alex- Great photos. The beauty and the beast.
Terry - thank you ,very well said.

Tifosi - thanks , enjoying my first F car.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Looks like you had a lot of fun, Alex!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #18 of 31 Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeroen, yes a lot of fun is what it was. Honestly did not think i would enjoy the Maranello so much. But you surely know better , I am a novice!
post #19 of 31 Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Hi Jeroen, that should have been EBC brake rotors and the pads are EBC Yellowstuff for fast road and occasional trackday use. Basically when my rotors were in need of replacing we chose these units and also fabricated stainless steal brake lines to replace the rubber ones. These were put together with the highest quality fittings available and then sheathed in rubber to look OEM. Also went to a higher grade brake fluid as well. The results have been a marked improvement, little or no brake dust, no squealing and also have great longevity. I don't get any noticeable brake fade on track days or spirited runs either. I'm sure a good brake shop or independent tech should be able to do something similar for you and it is economical compared to the big CCB upgrades.

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Went for a short drive around Prague very early this morning (it is bank holiday today here). Nobody around , no traffic , no bycicles (no cops). The best conditions for a great Maranello drive,
Just a small annoyance (or I hope a small one) , I guess the a/c hose is clogged. Because of this when turning lefthand water is leaking on the carpet. Seems a visit to the dealer will be necessary . Anyway did not detract from the nice drive.
Few photos just to give some color to my words
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode