575 FHP upgrade parts. Options ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
575 FHP upgrade parts. Options ?

I'm looking to upgrade my 575M to FHP chassis specification.

Apart from the price question, it seems that all the involved parts (springs, rear stabilizer and steering ECU) are factory available, but they have just one front spring (p/n 175886) at this time.

Any option to obtain some equivalent springs from other source, preferably in Europe ? I would consider too an aftermarket rear stabilizer as this is the most expensive part of the upgrade.

Thanks in advance. Best regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Belma, we (Skunkworks) can help you with the FHP steering ECU now, and possibly the springs and sway bar in the future, but they would not be Ferrari parts and will not come in yellow boxes with the black "cavallino rampante".

Depends whether you wish to have an authentic Ferrari FHP setup, or an equivalent one for a fraction of the cost.

Also, I would have thought Ferrari would have offered a recurved suspension ECU for the FHP setup on the 575M, but apparently they only offered a "FHP ECU" (P/N: 175949) for the 550, and an HGTC ECU (P/N: 210578) for the 575M, and since the shocks for the two cars are completely different, the ECU's are not interchangeable. Taz can expand more on this.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Belma, we (Skunkworks) can help you with the FHP steering ECU now, and possibly the springs and sway bar in the future, but they would not be Ferrari parts and will not come in yellow boxes with the black "cavallino rampante".

Depends whether you wish to have an authentic Ferrari FHP setup, or an equivalent one for a fraction of the cost.

Also, I would have thought Ferrari would have offered a recurved suspension ECU for the FHP setup on the 575M, but apparently they only offered a "FHP ECU" (P/N: 175949) for the 550, and an HGTC ECU (P/N: 210578) for the 575M, and since the shocks for the two cars are completely different, the ECU's are not interchangeable. Taz can expand more on this.
Thanks for the reply, John, much appreciated.

What would be the ECU cost ? Any estimation about time and price of the springs and sway bar ? Here in Europe we've to think on Customs taxes on goods coming from the States...

Best regards.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
John- Yes, the 575M shock ECU story is complicated, so here is something I wrote up to explain it. The HGTC shock ECU will not work on early 575Ms without giving you a permanent suspension warning.

If I were trying to duplicate the FHP or HGTC suspension, I would go with the Skunkworks steering ECU reflash, a better shock ECU if 183960 is fitted, and aftermarket springs and anti-roll bar.

BelMa- What is the serial number of your 575M so we know where you are starting?

Here are FHP spring specs that can be duplicated by any good spring manufacturer. The anti-roll bar is solid so easy to manufacture.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: doc 575M Shock Absorber ECUs.doc (33.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: doc 575M 575 SA Updates Rev 1.8.doc (45.0 KB, 152 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-04-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Terry, my car's serial is 130853, assembly 48066.

Regards.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Xavier_ Sounds like a 2003, so you have a pre-52556 shock ECU. If you have 201673, I would not worry about changing. If 183960, I would try to upgrade to 201673 or 201674. Here is a list of upgrades to the 575M by assembly number.

Also, here is a document I wrote on shock absorber ECUs.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 575M 575 SA Updates Rev 1.8.doc (45.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: doc 575M Shock Absorber ECUs.doc (33.5 KB, 144 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
John- Yes, the 575M shock ECU story is complicated, so here is something I wrote up to explain it. The HGTC shock ECU will not work on early 575Ms without giving you a permanent suspension warning.

If I were trying to duplicate the FHP or HGTC suspension, I would go with the Skunkworks steering ECU reflash, a better shock ECU if 183960 is fitted, and aftermarket springs and anti-roll bar.

BelMa- What is the serial number of your 575M so we know where you are starting?

Here are FHP spring specs that can be duplicated by any good spring manufacturer. The anti-roll bar is solid so easy to manufacture.
I guess I'll need to wait for my 575M to get out of storage to check the assembly #, as I didn't check it prior to putting it away for the winter. All I know is my VIN# for now which is ZFFBV55A020129983, and its a 2002.
I was also considering to upgrade the steering, suspension, and throttle ECU's to HGTC spec, along with the suspension parts (shocks, anti-roll bars) over the next few years but I don't have an idea of cost (?), would you or Maranello Skunkworks be able to provide that for me or do I need to provide you with my 575's assembly # first? Eventually I want to change my 18" Barchetta style rims for 19" 575M Barchetta style rims as well, but that's later on.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

We do not need your Assembly Number to tell you what she needs, and 129983 matches as a late 02. Upgrading all those parts to HGTC is prohibitively expensive and the HGTC Shock ECU will not work without a suspension lamp and the F1 ECU/TCU will likely require two very expensive new Motronic ECUs before it will work.

HGTC shocks came with all new mount hardware and bushings and between the shocks and mounts, you would be better off buying a Moton two way suspension than trying to buy and install all those parts.

If I were you, here is what I would do:

1) buy an FHP steering ECU from John at the Skunkworks, just a straight one, not one that is hooked up through the Sport switch
2) check your shock absorber ECU under the cheek carpet panel on the passenger side and if it is 183960, replace it with 201673 or 201674

Note these two changes above may be enough for you, if not:

3) have a set of FHP springs manufactured using the specs above, we do not have HGTC spring specs
4) have a 21 mm anti-roll bar manufactured, buy the 21 mm bushings from Ricambi

If not already done, replace the center muffler/resonator with straight pipes.

If your heart is set on HGTC, trade your car on one. Way cheaper than trying to upgrade.

Or buy an HGTC kit from your dealer for around $25-35K.

Read through the 575 Technical Thread. All the HGTC parts numbers and FHP parts numbers are in that thread, but many are NLA.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #9 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 128
Quote:

1) buy an FHP steering ECU from John at the Skunkworks, just a straight one, not one that is hooked up through the Sport switch
Just a note,

The switchable kits are no longer available from MSW

Maranello Skunk Works Team Member
post #10 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Dave- Good to know. I thought you only made about 10.

Have not been able to crack the Shock ECU yet? Lots (too many, actually) of choices on the 575M, but I only know of two for the 550.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #11 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
We do not need your Assembly Number to tell you what she needs, and 129983 matches as a late 02. Upgrading all those parts to HGTC is prohibitively expensive and the HGTC Shock ECU will not work without a suspension lamp and the F1 ECU/TCU will likely require two very expensive new Motronic ECUs before it will work.

HGTC shocks came with all new mount hardware and bushings and between the shocks and mounts, you would be better off buying a Moton two way suspension than trying to buy and install all those parts.

If I were you, here is what I would do:

2) check your shock absorber ECU under the cheek carpet panel on the passenger side and if it is 183960, replace it with 201673 or 201674

Note these two changes above may be enough for you, if not:

3) have a set of FHP springs manufactured using the specs above, we do not have HGTC spring specs
4) have a 21 mm anti-roll bar manufactured, buy the 21 mm bushings from Ricambi

If not already done, replace the center muffler/resonator with straight pipes.

If your heart is set on HGTC, trade your car on one. Way cheaper than trying to upgrade.

Or buy an HGTC kit from your dealer for around $25-35K.

Read through the 575 Technical Thread. All the HGTC parts numbers and FHP parts numbers are in that thread, but many are NLA.
Thanks for all the detailed info Terry (Taz). I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering:
1. If I buy the straight FHP steering ECU from at the Skunkworks (you wouldn't happen to have his web address so I can contact, would you?), and as you say, not the one hooked up to the Sport Switch, does that mean that the Sport Switch will no longer function? Or will it only work with other parts of the car with the exception of the steering?
2. I have Tubi's installed on the car, is that not effectively equivalent to adding straight pipes? If not, does X-Ost offer straight pipes as I know the dealer I deal with sells offers X-ost parts?

I don't think I have the money nor would I be interested in going full bore HGTC (I wouldn't want the ceramic brakes for example), I'm just interested in some good bits. Btw, Maranello Motors (the official Ferrari dealer here in Toronto), told me the cost for the HGTC kit and install is CDN$45,000.00 (more than I want to spend).

Lastly, other than going to a ceramic brake set-up, are there any brake improvement alternatives for the 575? I like seeing the Ferrari blazoned rotors on my wheels, but I'm not satisfied with the brake performance
post #12 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
1. If I buy the straight FHP steering ECU from at the Skunkworks (you wouldn't happen to have his web address so I can contact, would you?), and as you say, not the one hooked up to the Sport Switch, does that mean that the Sport Switch will no longer function? Or will it only work with other parts of the car with the exception of the steering?

You have a PM, and to answer your question, by simply swapping the steering ECU's there'll be no effect on the Sport switch functions.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

John can supply the relay, and it does indeed have no affect on the sport switch.

If you have a Tubi, probably no reason to change the exhaust and it may be too loud with the center muffler replaced with straight pipes.

You can change brake pads on your brakes. There were FHP pads that came with FHP 575Ms, but they tend to squeal until bedded properly and even then will give an occasional squeal from the front brakes only. I still have FHP pads on my rears until my rear ceramics are delivered and they do not squeal. I have a spare set of take-off FHP pads if you want to try them. Ricambi also sells pads that upgrade braking power.

Or buy Brembo upgrades in 355 or 380 mm sizes depending on your wheel size. ~$4K per axle.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #14 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Hi tifosi, I would pretty much concur with the info above. If you have a Tubi stick with that it is a very good system on the V12, IMO anything more is too much.

As far as the brakes go if you don't want to go to CCM or a steal upgraded big brake replacement setup, you can do what I ended up doing when my rotors got to the end of their life.
I kept the exciting optional FHP yellow callipers which got a service plus new EBC Yellow Stuff pads (I used these because there is no squeak and almost no brake dust and great performance, but there are other options) and new EBC rotors, again there are other brand options. Most importantly though I replaced all rubber brake lines with handmade stainless steal items with aviation grade fittings. And lastly changed the brake fluid to a higher grade than the factory.

This set up was economical to do, hugely improved the brake performance and has been very durable, both over the last 2 or 3 years of road use and the odd track days where I get no discernible brake fade.

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
You have a PM, and to answer your question, by simply swapping the steering ECU's there'll be no effect on the Sport switch functions.
Thanks John
post #16 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
John can supply the relay, and it does indeed have no affect on the sport switch.

If you have a Tubi, probably no reason to change the exhaust and it may be too loud with the center muffler replaced with straight pipes.

You can change brake pads on your brakes. There were FHP pads that came with FHP 575Ms, but they tend to squeal until bedded properly and even then will give an occasional squeal from the front brakes only. I still have FHP pads on my rears until my rear ceramics are delivered and they do not squeal. I have a spare set of take-off FHP pads if you want to try them. Ricambi also sells pads that upgrade braking power.

Or buy Brembo upgrades in 355 or 380 mm sizes depending on your wheel size. ~$4K per axle.
Dear Terry,
Once my 575M is out of winter storage and if I am still dissatisfied with the brake performance, I am first going to bleed the brakes as you've previously recommended, and barring that if they are still soft and squealing, then I wouldn't mind trying your "take-off FHP pads". Thanks for the offer Terry.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 575er View Post
Hi tifosi, I would pretty much concur with the info above. If you have a Tubi stick with that it is a very good system on the V12, IMO anything more is too much.

As far as the brakes go if you don't want to go to CCM or a steal upgraded big brake replacement setup, you can do what I ended up doing when my rotors got to the end of their life.
I kept the exciting optional FHP yellow callipers which got a service plus new EBC Yellow Stuff pads (I used these because there is no squeak and almost no brake dust and great performance, but there are other options) and new EBC rotors, again there are other brand options. Most importantly though I replaced all rubber brake lines with handmade stainless steal items with aviation grade fittings. And lastly changed the brake fluid to a higher grade than the factory.

This set up was economical to do, hugely improved the brake performance and has been very durable, both over the last 2 or 3 years of road use and the odd track days where I get no discernible brake fade.

Cheers
Michael
Thanks for the extra info Michael, its helpful. There is so much I have to learn about my 575, but hopefully I'll have lots of time and enjoyment from which to learn.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Owner

I think I'm gonna sign with my real name from now on
Thanks guys
Clyde
post #19 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
I think I'm gonna sign with my real name from now on
Thanks guys
Clyde
Welcome again Clyde. Good to have you here on a first name basis.

post #20 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 AM
Owner

Thanks John
Can't wait for this winter to end and to get my 575M out of storage and back on the road!!!
Clyde

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode