L hand mirror gasket replacement 550 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 161
L hand mirror gasket replacement 550

While waiting to receive my 2nd fob from the UK to send to Gobble, I was out enjoying one of the few nice days we have left. I noticed that the gasket in the corner of the window of my 550 had folded up on itself and there was a whistling noise with the wind. I rolled down the window and the gasket stayed up. It is obviously torn and even when I pull it down it does not stay when the window goes back up. With all that, I ordered a new gasket from Ricambi (64740700 L.H. GASKET). Are there any tricky parts to replacing the old one? It looks like I do not have to take the door apart to do the job but I have not taken the side mirror off yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am a man who knows my own limitations, if you guys come back and say it is a giant pain in the a** I will just take it to a mechanic to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Bob- See if this helps. The 575M WSM has many procedures in common with the 550 and is much better illustrated. Available from Ricambi for $125.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Taz, obviously went to F-Chat first, now i get the reference. Thanks again. The first round offer is still up. Thanks again.
Bob

post #4 of 4 Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Okay I did it. If you are planning to replace the gasket on your mirror here are a few things I found that worked for me. Lets get this straight, it will take more time than you think, it will try your patience, it will require good tools and manual dexterity, I suggest you have a good supply of beer on hand. The screws that hold on the mirror are not really screws, they are hex bolts. The one in the little hole on mine was canted down so I couldn't use a regular hex wrench to get it out. I had to coax it a little at a time with a long wrench. The peg that holds your cover on can be taken off with a deep socket and the screw at the top left is a standard Phillips screw. I suggest you have a magnetic wand ready in case you drop one inside the door. The mirror assembly comes off as a unit and will dangle from the wires. I wrapped mine with microfiber cloths and secured them with rubber bands. The electrical connector for the mirror is inside the door. You will have to carefully fish it out through the little hole on the inside of the door. If you try to bring it through the hole on the outside of the door you will not be able to reinstall the mirror after reconnecting the electric. That brings me to the black insulation that resembles expanded sticky foam they had in all the nooks and crannies of the mirror frame and door. What exactly is that stuff? you will have to remove it with needle nose pliers taking care not to damage any wires before you can get to the wiring harness and some of the screws. To install the new gasket you will have to position it from back to front (Bonnet to boot) to get it to seat properly. Do not force it. I put the little phillips head screw in first to hold the gasket on then attached the other bolts / nut. I took this time to replace the hex bolt in the hole with a better grade of bolt. Mine was a M5 -08 metric. Do a final check of the gasket at the base before the final tighten of the nut near the front. Take your time seating the rubber gasket back down inside the door and check for fit by putting the window up a little at a time. once the function check passes re-install the plastic cover and open celebratory beers. Hope this helps. Again, this was a left hand mirror, the right hand side may be different. May the force be with you.

Last edited by PRS Guitarist; 12-10-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Position from "Front to back (Bonnet to boot)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode