Ferrari Life Forum banner

Cranking issue

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jay Kay 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have a little problem with starting the 550 from time to time.

After shutting the car off after a good drive, sometimes, the car will not want to start? It will crank, sometimes fireup, but at very low revs, and then die. I will then have to crank her for about 10 seconds, pressing the gas pedal right at the end to get her to fire up. Any ideas on where to start? I have just had a service done, but thought that possible it was due to bad filters. Seems there is more to it.... Any advice will be appreciated.:crowngrin:

#2 ·
If you still have your old fuel filters from you recent service, now would be a great time to cut one of the ends off and inspect for rubber debris. I find that just draining the filters after I remove them can tell me something about the condition of the fuel pump isolators, which the pumps "sit" in, so to speak. Often times, the fuel will have a distinctive black tinge, indicating rubber deterioration.Over time, the rubber pieces that support the fuel pumps deteriorate and end up being sucked into the pumps...and filters.

This would be the opportune time to measure both fuel pressure and volume...Also, having the injectors cleaned and tested would be beneficial, particularly if the previously mentioned problems exist.

#3 ·
Thank you David

I will be pulling the tank this week to inspect and repair if need be.

It seems I may have a dead cat. The car starts in limp home mode. I have reset and tried replacing the o2 sensor control units. No help, so I can only deduce that one of the cars or both is dead. The car is going to the dealer on Wednesday for inspection and correction.

#4 ·
Clynton, try swapping your Cat ECU's from side to side to see if the problem moves.

You'll probably need to clear codes after the swap and before starting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.