Last time out for a run I was perplexed by my 575 F1 refusing to select a gear after stopping at a junction in a small (but busy!) town. I quickly noticed the hood/bonnet release warning light and remembered that with the hood/bonnet open it is not possible to select a gear. I jumped out noticed the left side of the hood/bonnet was raised and after clicking her back down jumped in and off we set. This happened a few more times on our way back home to the consternation of my wife! Back home and I found the left side retaining pin (the piece with the spring and conical nose) was loose. After measuring the projection of the right side part I reset the left hand pin to the same extension and tightened the lock nut. I also noticed the lock nut on the right hand pin was slightly loose so tightened that too. The hood/bonnet then closed what appeared to be firmly and evenly so all was well - or so I thought. Right, time to reopen and check the brake fluid level which had dropped slightly post service and I wanted to check that the top up had done the trick.
Pulling the release lever in the car, there was no accompanying click. The hood/bonnet would not release. Now quite a few attempts in and I have stopped to reconsider. Advice from my trusty mechanic was to apply weight carefully to the catch area on the basis that I had shortened the latch pin too much - thus requiring more force to release. This I have also tried to no avail.
So Forum members - what are the bright ideas for resolution???? All suggestions and ideas gratefully received!
Taz - thanks for pointing out what I should have known! I have now removed the grille (quite painless) and found the emergency release ring under the rubber grommet. After pulling on this every which way with as much force as I can muster/dare I am afraid the bonnet/hood is still firmly unreleased. The right hand side looking from the front seems to pop slightly but the left is unmoving.
Any suggestions for next move?? I seem to think a dealer visit may be called for.....
When this happened to me I had to use a lever/pry bar in the loop of the emergency release. It took really hard pull to get both sides to release. There is a lot of friction/drag on that cable the way it's routed.
It's really your only option as far as I know. Pull harder and good luck with it
Simon, You might try reaching in at the top of the grill opening about 5 inches from the corner of the hood and moving the rubber gasket out of the way, see if you can see the knurled nut on the hood release cable. If you can then reach in with something long, flat and strong you might be able to push that knurled nut towards the center of the car. That will release one side, then try the other side.
OK guys really helpful! I think I need to elevate the car some so that I can get the leverage. With everything on the ground it is difficult to get the purchase. I used a reasonable pry bar with a wood protector but even that made no impression on the left hand side. I will carefully continue with a bigger implement and a bit more brute force! How is that cable connected - my fear was that I could pull apart the crimps or cable clamps?
I know exactly which rubber gasket you speak of Dave so will also have a good look at that. Again my fear is that with the force required, if anything does then move it is going to be uncontrolled.......
Simon, The cables cross over the "U" shaped channel piece in the center so if you angle your pry bar towards the right side it will pull more on the left cable. Its hard to explain, I'd cut the tywrap to get a better run on the cable.
We're fixed! Took a sustained effort from myself (minor) and two friends in the trade. Once up on the ramp it was much easier to gain access to the emergency release, and indeed the loop you describe Dave was clearly visible. The tie wrap had already broken earlier in the proceedings so a longer loop was available. A stout pry bar and rubber block enabled quite some force to be exerted but still no joy. Mechanic friend Douglas then called in Phil from the body shop next door. It was clear Phil knew what he was doing! We quickly found the small gap in the rubber seal allowing acesss to the left side latch etc. Direct purchse on the latch as you described Dave was possible but still no release. Phil then surmised that the pin must be mis-centred and so went for direct purchase on the pin. A combination then of that and release of the emergency latch allowed the bonnet to pop. The problem became clear when it was revealed that my attempt to reset the pin which I had found loose had resulted in a lateral move which caused the conical end to latch under the bracket itself rather than under the latch mechanisim. No amount of tugging on either standard release or emergency release was going to pop the pin. Only direct force on the pin (luckily Phil could apply in the right direction) allowed the pin to pop.
Phil then carefully reset both pins using masking tape across the locating hole to mark pin position and allowing centering before tightening fully. Bingo - the hood/bonnet latched smoothly and unlatched from the interior release easily.
So beware a loose hood/bonnet pin! Do not just tighten the locknut, but carefully check that the pin is centred as well as being the right projection before tightening fully.
Many thanks to Taz and Dave for great support and insight!
My next step was a two hundred mile round-trip to get fixed, so I gained a whole Staurday last night with the help of Douglas and Phil, and the support of Taz and Dave!