550 Maranello - Work to be done - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Garage
550 Maranello - Work to be done

Good day everyone

After a stunning trip up to Botswana over the weekend, I have decided to carry out some work on the 550.
  1. I will be starting by flushing the radiator. I would like to add new coolant and redline water wetter to counter the hot climate in South Aftica.
  2. I will be doing an engine oil/filter change. I do have a lift, so that should make the process a little easier.
  3. Drain and replace gearbox oil and filter.
  4. Flush and replace powersteering fluid.
  5. Drain, flush and replace brake and clutch fluid
  6. K&N air filter replacement.
  7. The passanger side mirror seems a little loose. This will be seen to.
  8. Sticky buttons will also be addressed.
  9. Handbrake to be adjusted. (New shoes installed)
  10. Repaint handbrake handle.
  11. Repair sticky passanger interior door latch. (Seems to be catching on the leather)
  12. Repaint interior metal parts.
  13. Align doors.
  14. Replace HVAC panel with Centigrade, and paint the turn style dials.
  15. Replace engine and gearbox mounts with 575 mounts.
  16. Check front suspention for wear and tear, and replace bushings.
If there are any suggestions as to what else I could do while on my little mission, kindly chime in. I appreciate everyones input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Hello Clynton, it sounds like you're in for quite a "bonding" experience with your 550 . Since you're apparently not shy about doing some extensive DIY work, here are a few more things to consider if they haven't been done recently, or at all.

First run a good compression test and leakdown test to get an idea of the health of the engine, and "read" your plugs

Then here are some known areas that require maintenance/attention on the 550:

1. Replacing all coolant hoses, but especially those under the intake manifold, with SRI silicone hoses. Also consider testing and/or replacing your coolant thermostat

2. If you do #1, which requires the intake manifold to come off, then you'll want to replace/upgrade the intake manifold gaskets.

3. Pulling the fuel injectors and having them sent off to be professionally cleaned and their flows tested

4. While the intake manifold is off, consider replacing all 3 of the coolant sensors on the coolant manifolds and the collector manifold. Two of these are cheap - $20 and are known to become dodgy with age, and they control your electric fans, and the third one is rather expensive > $200 and it is for the coolant temp gauge in your dash.

5. Replacing the fuel filters - and I'd have the old ones cut open if I were you and inspect the contents for rubber particles. The 456's and 550's and the V8's of the same era are having issues with the soft parts of the fuel system that live in the fuel tank. The ethanol in today's fuels cause these soft parts to disintegrate and they then travel through the fuel system, wreaking havoc, and sometimes overwhelming the fuel filters and go on to the fuel injectors and plug them.

6. If you have any fuel odor in the cabin or in the boot area, carefully inspect the plastic fuel pump covers as they may be cracked. There are aftermarket replacements in aluminum that should sort this once & for all. The fuel odor can also be coming from leaky gaskets on the 3 roll over valves on the top of the tank.

7. I'd also pull the front plastic serp belt & timing covers and have a look at the condition of the belts & tensioner bearings to see if there's much grease being thrown out of the bearings. Same for the bearings for the smaller timing drive sprockets down by the dampner. Also inspect the fences on these drive sprockets to ensure they're not loose - they're only peened on.

8. While you're down there - have a look at the front of the A/C compressor and see if there's much crud around the front of it, indicating a leaky front seal. The leaking seal will eventually drip enough refrigerant oil down into the alternator below it that both will need to be overhauled/replaced.

9. While still down there - have a look at the steering rack boots to see if they're wet or encrusted with road grime, indicating leaky seals.

10. Our Bilstein shocks are known leakers, so inspect them to see if there's much oily road crud on them. They're cheap to rebuild (at least here in the US). While you're looking at the shocks - have a look at the front ones to see if the actuators on top have "wound" themselves up. If so, carefully unwind the wiring, and consider some of the fixes that have been detailed on here and the other site to prevent the windup in the future.

11. Back up on top with the timing covers still off, have a look at the rear & front edge(s) of the cam covers, as they're known leakers.

12. Inspect the P/S line from the reservoir to the pump, as it tends to weep at the reservoir connection. There should be enough slack in this line that you can cut off the weepy bit and reconnect it, as a temporary measure.

All this is simply maintenance and remedial work that is often neglected - if you're interested in upgrades as well, there are several things which are easy to do and have very good benefits:

1. HID low beam conversion - The 550 Maranello's headlight pods are modular, and the projector assemblies can be removed and replaced very easily with HID assemblies having the proper optics, etc. I have found the HID upgrade on my car to be a great benefit as I simply don't have the visual acuity at night that I used to (I'm 62). I've detailed how to do this yourself in an HID thread here on FLife.

2. "Sport" steering ECU - Some find the 550's steering to be too light, so a colleague and I have developed replacement ECU's with different levels of P/S assistance, varying from stock, all the way to "no" assist at high speed.

We have several upgrades available in other areas as well, depending on your level of interest in modifying the car, such as: coil on plug ignitions, hydraulic front lift kits, cooling system upgrades, etc. Some are currently available, and some are still being tested.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Last edited by cribbj; 08-19-2013 at 08:09 AM.
post #3 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi John

Thank you for all of the info. I am excited to get started on some of these items. There are a few which scare me slightly. I will however attempt to do as much as I can. I am for starters having the car scanned by Ferrari tomorrow morning. They will clear the codes, and reset the airbag light which was triggered by trying to start with a dead battery.

I will have questions with regard to some of the points you suggested. Please be patient with me as I am still learning.......

I am however filled with excitement for this project. I will picture and document my journey,

Once again I am humbled by willingness of folks to chime in and help out. For me. this car would not be possible to own without a forum like this.

post #4 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Clynton, we're all still learning about these wonderful cars, and it's good to have a roadmap of where others have already been, with a shopping list of some of the issues you might expect to have with yours.

Most of the items I mentioned have been issues on other owners' cars, so that's enough of a pattern to be on the lookout for them.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #5 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Clyton, your item 16, on front suspension bushes, I replaced mine and at Taz's suggstion fitted the later 575 bushes which are reportedly stronger. There is a thread detailing this. There are threads here on most of the topics you mention and we are lucky enough to have a few people here who provide excellent technical information for the learners among us.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
post #6 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Appologies Clynton, I misspelt your name. My fingers are unfortunately now faster than my brain.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
post #7 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Nigel

No worries. Thank you for the input.

The forum is fantastic.

It is great to see so many comments from so many like minded people (When it comes to F cars)

Current - 2001 550 Maranello
1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #8 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can someone help me with the first issue please?

I have a universal code reader that I used on my Mercedes Benz. Can I use it on the Maranello? Where is the plug in port on this car?

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #9 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kay View Post
Can someone help me with the first issue please?

I have a universal code reader that I used on my Mercedes Benz. Can I use it on the Maranello? Where is the plug in port on this car?
In the USA, on our LHD 550's it's under the dash next to the steering column. On your RHD 550, it should be the same. By law or by specification, I believe it has to be within a certain distance (maybe 24"?) of the steering column?

post #10 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
John- I am not sure when OBD II became universal or whether the pin modification was done on rest of world 550s like it was here in the States. Probably was by 2001, I would guess.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 88 Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I cannot find it. Just repaired the sticky buttons

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #12 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I took out all of the switches on the center panel. I cleaned them all with thinners. I am very happy with the results. They now have a matt look to them. I did however notice that the switch holder plate was broken in a few places. I tried to repair the plate, but am not happy with the results. I will be fabricating one out of aluminium and spraying it black. I will post the results once done.

This morning I dropped the car at Ferrari to have all the codes read and cleared. All part of the 191 point check. I am also getting the airbag light reset, and the handbrake adjusted, as I fitted new shoes to her last week.

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #13 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #14 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Nice job Clynton - how did you manage to not smudge the white paint on the switches?

post #15 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I avoided them at first, but then tried to clean it and it did not smudge. I will give it one more clean when the car is back from Viglietti tomorrow.

John, any problem with your switch holder plate?

Mine was so sticky and there were pieces missing. I tried to glue it all together as a short term solution, but it looks shocking. Tomorrow I will get cracking on the new fabrication. Should be able to complete it by the weekend.

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #16 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kay View Post
John, any problem with your switch holder plate?

Mine was so sticky and there were pieces missing. I tried to glue it all together as a short term solution, but it looks shocking. Tomorrow I will get cracking on the new fabrication. Should be able to complete it by the weekend.
No, mine was/is in good shape, however others have documented that theirs weren't, and the aluminum replacement was suggested in one thread and/or an aluminum reinforcement for it? I think Taz came up with that idea last year or before.

post #17 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Best I do a search for pics then.

Thanks for the info.

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo
post #18 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Clynton- Here you go. The 575M panel is different, though, with the switch panel and A/C panel integrated. If yours broke where it is visible, not much option but to replace it or repair with fiberglass and repaint. Two different repairs I did on two different panels. The long piece is easier to fabricate and was designed by Jurgen Otto.

Robbie loaned me the Euro panel with centigrade markings and I repaired it along with mine.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #19 of 88 Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Taz

As you know the 550 has a different plate. The plastic is old and has broken in a few places. I will not have time to look at it this evening as it is my girlfriend's birthday.

I will however get to working on this over the weekend. I do not want to drive the car with this plate looking as shocking as it does right now.

I would like to machine a new one as a complete unit out of aluminium, as it would provide a stronger support for the switches.. I will check to see if it can be done....by a friend with the right tools....

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo

Last edited by Jay Kay; 08-22-2013 at 05:16 AM.
post #20 of 88 Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So this past weekend I got to some of the issues mentione above (Some not mentioned above)

I first removed the plastic around the steering. I am having it resprayed to remove the stickyness and scratches. Removal was easy, 4 screws and a bit of velcro to hold the leather flap at the top.

I then removed the HVAC system along with the switches for minor repair and painting

I also have the constant red light on the dash for the alarm system. After reading some very helpful posts, I decided to try and repair the problem. I removed the front right headlight assembly. Underneath was the "black box" which contains the circut with batteries. I removed the box, cut it open. The circut board is covered with a black epoxy. I first though that the board was burnt out. I have purchased new batteries and will replace and test the system this evening.

I have also put in a fair amount of radiator flush. I am going to be doing the flush, and service this coming weekend. The coolant is a brownish orange colour, which indicates a bit of rust to me...
I am trying to find the coolant recomended in the book, but it is difficult to find in South Africa. There are good substitues here though. I would like to stick to the book, so I will exhaust every avenue, before selecting another brand.

Below is the switch plate which is mostly glued together... As mentioned, I will be replacing this with an over engineerd part..

K & N airfilters are on order.

Waiting for Oil\Fuel filters and plugs from Ferrari South Africa. I went with the shell Ultra Helix 5w-40 as recomended by the book.

1990 Testarossa
1983 400i
2010 VW Polo

Last edited by Jay Kay; 08-26-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode