575 Superamerica - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
575 Superamerica

Can anyone comment if all Superamerica glass rooftop mechanisms were replaced under warranty as a recall or did the car have to develop a problem with the roof mechanism before it was replaced with new and improved mechanism? Also, has the modified mechanism proven to be more reliable?

Thanks,
Vafa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
The roofs were replaced when they delaminated etc.

There were a couple of recalls basically regarding ecu changes that stopped the delamination issue due to voltage issues

The mechanism was never updated

They work except struts get weak and there are no available replacement except replaceing the whole carrier mechanism for 18 K
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
SA Roof History

I just purchased a Superamerica and have researched the roof issues very carefully after hearing about possible problems with delamination, etc. I have personally looked at 6 SAs and have never seen any evidence of delamination . In general , the roof issues have been greatly exaggerated in the community, probably because it happened to a few vocal owners. The roof flip mechanism is simple and very reliable, legend otherwise not withstanding. There are two basic issues with the roof,both now resolved :ECU and Gas Struts. The first was a faulty ECU in some models that allowed a low level of voltage to trickle to the roof,causing hot spots and the famous delamination. This was addressed and cured by a recall of all SAs and replacement of the ECU. That is campaign 329 and ended in Dec 2010. I would be very surprised if you find any SA with the old ECU, but a very fixable problem if it still exists. The second strut issue is two parts, the first is is the slow failure of the equivalent of the "HOOD" gas struts on the supports for the rear deck. This is less than a $100 fix and a common maintenance item. The other gas strut issue is inside the cover on the roof mechanism and is part of it . This is the short strut assist that slows the roof descent on closing and was not available as a separate part from Ferrari for a period of time. That is where the rumours of whole roof replacements started I guess. I just purchased a pair of these from Eurospares for future use for less than $50.00 including shipping... Problem solved. In talking with a number of SA owners, I have never heard of any real problems with the roof and mine works great!! I suggest you take the time to read all through the 575 sticky thread set up by Taz at the top of this forum as there are a number of roof discussions buried in there. my E Mail is : [email protected] if you want to get any part #s etc. These are great and highly collectible cars I would encourage you to grab one if you find one in a color and trim you like.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Thank you for an excellent synopsis 👏👍

Vafa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode