Should we get a 612 as a daily driver? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Should we get a 612 as a daily driver?

Hey fellas. We have owned a Maserati Quattroporte as my wife's daily driver for a few years. This has been a great car but she is ready for something new. She has a requirement for 4 functional seats. We have looked at everything on the market and its down to a 612 or used Maserati Gran Turismo. We are going to check out this car on Wednesday. I really want to find one in Silverstone / cuoio/.

Please let me know if anyone knows a great car for sale.

Cars for Sale: 2008 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Houston, TX 77090: Coupe Details - 348661589 - AutoTrader.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheguy View Post
Hey fellas. We have owned a Maserati Quattroporte as my wife's daily driver for a few years. This has been a great car but she is ready for something new. She has a requirement for 4 functional seats. We have looked at everything on the market and its down to a 612 or used Maserati Gran Turismo. We are going to check out this car on Wednesday. I really want to find one in Silverstone / cuoio/.

Please let me know if anyone knows a great car for sale.

Cars for Sale: 2008 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Houston, TX 77090: Coupe Details - 348661589 - AutoTrader.com
I had the QT as well and loved it. It was also the wife's DD. I also wanted to get a 612 this year but sat in the rear and didn't think it was as comfortable as I needed. If you do get a 612 I strongly suggest you get the HGTC
post #3 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Agree with Ernie, try to get the HGTC or OTO.
I had a Silverstone 612 OTO and it was a great DD car and worked very well for long distance touring... a teaser is attached
The 2 back seats are good for adults within reasonable distance...
But my wife is 5'2", so she felt that the car was too big for her liking, she now loves the 458 though!
Attached Images

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun

post #4 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanderu View Post
Agree with Ernie, try to get the HGTC or OTO.
I had a Silverstone 612 OTO and it was a great DD car and worked very well for long distance touring... a teaser is attached
The 2 back seats are good for adults within reasonable distance...
But my wife is 5'2", so she felt that the car was too big for her liking, she now loves the 458 though!
Thanks for the input. I am trying to stay in a range of 120k-140k and it seems like the OTO's are trading at a big premium. Seems hard to justify but I have also never driven an OTO.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
We are in the same boat. Selling QP and thinking about 612. For me though back seats are fine enough for occassionally use and kid size. And due to the problems with the f1 will be looking for six speed.

FYI Cauley had a silverstone cuoio f1. Cauley Ferrari Showroom California

Don't know if its still available. Was 109k. Certified.

Good luck.

Scotts

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #6 of 22 Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Hi, I used to have a Granturismo S and now currently have a 612 OTO HGT2... and you won't make a mistake with either.

The Maserati has one of the best sounding exhaust notes ever... but the overall experience and no-compromise quality of the 612 is unbeatable. The OTOs and the pack-equipped cars are recommended overall I found them to be tighter and more nimble.

The 612 for sale in Houston has some issues with the advert; 'supercharged' and 'panoramic roof'... it looks like it was one of the last 612s before the OTO and the hyper-low mileage would cause me some concern.

It's an old debate (value/mileage) and each to their own, but after driving many examples I decided I could live with high(er) mileage but I couldn't live without the HGT2 chassis...

As a DD I haven't had any issues petrol, tires and smiles.

Good luck with your search and do try and drive an OTO before deciding.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I had one and really enjoyed the ownership experience. A 612 can easily be used as DD.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
The OTOs and Sessantas have a new Type 133H engine, plus the much tougher dual plate clutch from the 599 and the 599 gearbox case to match. Big improvements.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
At the risk of upsetting a lot people - I do not believe an F1 transmission is suited for daily driving. I have tried to do so with 2005 575M HGTC and feel it is unfair to the car and to the driver unless you live in a rural area or commute on the highway with little in stop and go traffic.

Vafa
post #10 of 22 Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmansouri View Post
At the risk of upsetting a lot people - I do not believe an F1 transmission is suited for daily driving. I have tried to do so with 2005 575M HGTC and feel it is unfair to the car and to the driver unless you live in a rural area or commute on the highway with little in stop and go traffic.

Vafa
The 612 OTO has much better dual plate technology for the F1 transmission, that is why it is worth the premium for getting one, compared to the previous 612 model.
If you go for the previous model, the six speed manual is better option probably.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #11 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I had one for years - car was excellent.

2006 October build should have been an 07 HGTC Sports with 599 wheels and OTO cosmetic upgrades.

The OTO is better but with the Sport package it doesn't really matter and the torque of the V12 matches extremely well with the F1 - contrary to what is posted here.

Vafa - not upset whatsoever ... but you are wrong

Buying a 325k plus car for a 110k and the clutch lasting at least 30k miles is a dream come true - driving a Ferrari in any conditions especially a 612 doesn't suck
post #12 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Got my wife to drive on this week. Unfortunately the back seats were to small for her so it looks like the Maserati may win out. To bad - I really like the 612.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheguy View Post
Got my wife to drive on this week. Unfortunately the back seats were to small for her so it looks like the Maserati may win out. To bad - I really like the 612.
The backseats are tough to get in and out of especially in a dress.

There isn't a two door out there that offers a good back seat.

Suggest the Rapide - it''s beautiful and drops like a rock so there are some really good buys out there.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
The backseats are tough to get in and out of especially in a dress.

There isn't a two door out there that offers a good back seat.

Suggest the Rapide - it''s beautiful and drops like a rock so there are some really good buys out there.
Yep. We drove one of those. Not bad but I think the Maz was the overall winner for her.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Owner

Does that mean that the Maser as better back seats? I have not been in the back of either yet but that is significant information.

Will you go 2009 F1 or automatic?

FWIW Vafa I agree with you but don't tell Doug
Scott

2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #16 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
Does that mean that the Maser as better back seats? I have not been in the back of either yet but that is significant information.

Scott
Neither of you had one again I had the faster shifting sport and the OTO is slightly better.

I am telling you the 612 and the F1 are a very good match - but I guess if you can't drive one and learn how to shift proper ... it's understandable
post #17 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Owner

Doug Thats a side of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Neither of you had one again I had the faster shifting sport and the OTO is slightly better.

I am telling you the 612 and the F1 are a very good match - but I guess if you can't drive one and learn how to shift proper ... it's understandable
we haven't seen before. I believe Vafa was speaking of his 575 F1, so probably not quite the same.

Maserati F1 clutch overheated in highway traffic around DC - only time it was in real traffic. Don't need to see what a F1 would do in real traffic as a DD.

As I recall, even you said ( agreed) that the F1 was (maybe) twitchy. For me I would go with six speed after QP is gone. I have no issue with normal clutch six speed in traffic. I do it everyday now.

Scott

post #18 of 22 Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:

Scott
The maserati had better rear seating for sure.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Owner

Quote:
we haven't seen before. I believe Vafa was speaking of his 575 F1, so probably not quite the same.

Maserati F1 clutch overheated in highway traffic around DC - only time it was in real traffic. Don't need to see what a F1 would do in real traffic as a DD.

As I recall, even you said ( agreed) that the F1 was (maybe) twitchy. For me I would go with six speed after QP is gone. I have no issue with normal clutch six speed in traffic. I do it everyday now.

Scott
The F1 is twitchy compared to the 16M - but I feel comfortable saying the 612 deserves a lot more credit than it's given. F1 systems need torque and the 612 has plenty of it
post #20 of 22 Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
I had an mc shift Granturismo S before my Scaglietti. I'd have said there may be ever so slightly more legroom in the Maserati but quite a bit more headroom in the rear seats of the 612. Either way you can certainly take a 5ft 10 inch driver and same size passenger sat behind fairly comfortably in the rear, perhaps the steering wheel had been extended in the one you sat in forcing the drivers seat back. I have two child seats in the back of mine, the children actually take up more room than an adult sat on these as their legs stick straight out and we've had no problems at all with the car acting as a family saloon, which it does very often. We love going away for the weekend in it with all our luggage and pram.

As for the front seats there's absolutely no comparison, the Ferrari's are more comfortable by an absolute country mile, In fact the whole interior is far superior and in different league than the maserati, the ferrari is all leather and the maserati is mostly man made plastics with leather seats - I suppose the list price reflects that.

I think my F1 box works brilliantly with the car, but you do have to get to know it, you can get super smooth gear changes using the paddles and backing off with your foot.. I also have the handling package which transforms the car from a luxury gt car into a snarling Ferrari at the press of a button - the 612 is the perfect car for me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode