550M water pump rebuild? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 967
550M water pump rebuild?

As part of the major service, the water pump was inspected and found to have a small, but noticeable leak. Considering the abundance of "residue" around the weep hole, it appears to have been there for a while. Note that the car has 11,000 miles on her and the pump appears to be original. My intentions were to rebuild the pump as I have done so many times in the past on other model Ferrari pumps, but this would be first for me on a 550. Due to the design of the seal, I machine a stepped tool for installation purposes. With Ricambi now selling a reproduction pump made by Capristo for semi-sane money, does this make more sense than rebuilding what I have? Has any one else been down the path with these pumps. They sure look simple enough to rebuild, with the proper press tool.

Thoughts?

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Dave, you know the water pump rebuild ate moorfan's lunch when he did it, mainly because of the seal installation. I think he went through 2-3 seals before he made or borrowed the right seal installation tool and got one in without shattering it.

For the small difference in money, I think I'd be tempted to try one of Capristo's pumps. They're supposed to flow more than the OEM, as well, which can't hurt with a 550.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 50
okay...let me protect myself by saying i am not a mechanic (disclaimer!)

but 11,000 and the water pump fails?

how can the capristo 'replacement' be any worse than that?

why rebuild w ferrari parts for that kind of lifespan.

i would pay the difference JUST to try to get a better lifespan of the pump.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1turbo View Post
okay...let me protect myself by saying i am not a mechanic (disclaimer!)

but 11,000 and the water pump fails?

how can the capristo 'replacement' be any worse than that?

why rebuild w ferrari parts for that kind of lifespan.

i would pay the difference JUST to try to get a better lifespan of the pump.
These cars are also 10yrs old. Coolant doesn't only attack whent he pump is moving, quite often water pumps are more liekly to fail due to sitting than running. The coolant acts as a lubricant for the seals, engine sits, seals dry..engouh dry start and the seal fails.

When you drive the cars, usually the bearings fail, cause the shaft to rotate in an oblong manner and fatigue the seal. The seal failure is generally a secondary consequence, not a primary.

I'm rebuilding the water pump in my 550 service. The parts supplier sold me an updated installation tool and said guys still break the seal now and then. I suppose it's a matter of risk vs. reward. Personally, I'm not sure what makes Capristo qualified to manufacture water pumps, so I'll try to rebuild.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

Josh-Exactly my response. This car, although well-maintained had 8,300 miles on her in the Spring of 2012. That's a lot of sitting since when she was new in late 2000. Other than a cast impeller, I can't imagine that the Capristo pump is any way appreciably different that an OE (other than price.) The 'industrial-type; seal that Ferrari uses is a very robust design, when used and installed as intended. I think that another cause of these low mileage failures could be that a single grain of casting sand broke away and went through the pump.

Besides, a leaking/seeping seal isn't a catastrophic failure now. But, with the engine apart for a belt service, it's the perfect 15 minute opportunity to replace a future problem. (Keep in mind that the pump body, not the pulley though...fits a few models.)

Best,
David

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
355/456/550/575 etc water pumps are all the same.

Seals are so cheap I throw one in for free on majors. I buy them 10 at a time and keep them in stock. Ferrari made a special tool for installation that was a dumb design. I used a Snap On socket for years but a few years ago I discovered a Ferrari transmission seal driver that worked a little better. Bearings are quite good and do not usually need replacement but are very easily changed. Bearings used to be very expensive, so expensive in fact that you could buy a pump cheaper. A few years ago the price dropped to the $200 range.

There are some aftermarket bearings around that the commercial rebuilders are using that are unmittigated garbage.

Once the pump is in your hands, rebuilding it is a half hour job including bead blasting the parts.

I would never consider a Capristo anything. I have yet to see a product of theirs that I would install on a lawnmower. And higher pump output will fix nothing. The standard 550 pump has been used to cool 800HP motors.

There is nothing about the standard 550 pump that needs fixing or redesign.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Sponsor

Thanks Brian...
You clarified any passing thoughts I had on the aftermarket pump.

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode