612 has arrived! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
612 has arrived!

Can't describe how happy I am at the moment.

After much searching and seeking the right balance of 'perfect car' and 'good deal' I found this beautiful 612 OTO in Italy and had her imported into France.

I'm now feeling very lucky to have the perfect pair 612 and Scuderia. These machines are addictive... but that's it for this year!

The 612 is a 2008 One-To-One; nero with daytona interior and some nice spec options: sports exhaust, front parking sensors and reversing camera, Alcantara boot/trunk, shields (I like them on the black), glass roof (kids love it and it brightens up the black interior), polished 20' monoliths, cruise control...

There are a couple of items to attend to. Firstly, service has been booked for early January. Service history is good but last stamp was 13 months ago. Belts were changed two years ago. Tyres (SuperSports) have been ordered... should be here next week.

Driving impressions are fantastic. I went for the OTO in the end and find it just a bit more dynamic in general over the earlier cars. It's quite subtle really, but adds up to a very composed and just-a-bit-sharper feeling overall.

Niggles to be sorted, well there are a couple: the interior rear-view mirror rattles like a [email protected]; there's a smell of exhaust/old oil when stopped at traffic lights actually, not really exhaust, but like a blocked breather pipe or something that then gets drawn into the aircon when stationary... and not quite a smell but definitely gasses that almost irritate your eyes. Pretty sure it's oil related.

There's also a bit of a squeak from the drivers' seat and occasional creaks from the rear left suspension bushes me thinks. The passenger window switch needs replacing (with the updated part this time!!) and I need the Bose system update and iPod connection fitted. Oh, and the handbrake could be adjusted tighter!

Lastly, the headlamp covers need polishing. It looks like the lacquer has degraded more so than the polycarbonate and is contributing to a cloudy lens.

But that's it. It's a most magnificent machine and a Ferrari that can be enjoyed by the whole family. My two girls (9 and 13) are already petrol heads and F1 fans and totally adore the glorious V12 thunder from their leather thrones.

I plan to use the car as much as possible and will update this thread with driving impressions (if anybody's interested?) as I put the miles under my belt ... but first impressions are fantastic. Honestly, I can't think of any other supercar that represents this much family fun and the prices in Europe at the moment are staggeringly good value for what you get.

If anybody has any experience on the issues above and the best way to sort them I'd appreciate the advice. Still amazed at the generous wealth of knowledge on this site... thanks everyone.

Julian.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Julian- Beautiful car and looks really well maintained. The OTOs received a new engine, Type F133H, plus the 599's transaxle case and indestructible twin plate clutch. Enjoy driving her. Changing the environmental filter (19 below, should be once a year) may help the oil smell.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Super looking car well done!

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider

post #4 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Julian: That is the best looking 612 I've seen. And I'm typically not a fan at all of black cars, but the highlights of the wheels and [perhaps] lighting make me want that car. BTW, not a big fan of the 612, but that one, makes me consider!

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Julian
That really is a magnificent looking Scag. Congrats. What a great way to transport the family! Enjoy in good health.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Julian,

Congrats and way to stick at it until you found the right one. Really like the first photo you posted. Enjoy!
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
Looks great in black with this wheels!
Enjoy your lovely Ferrari!
post #8 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Thou shalt not covet

Okay. Maybe a little.

Drive it well. It's a beauty. I love the colors and wheels really brings out the solidity of the lines. OTO is the best. Didn't know it was a different engine.

Stupid question but is OTO a build number cutoff( above xxxx in 2008) or was it an option within the later production years ?

Scott

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Great looking car, Julian!

I wish I'd kept my 612 now...

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #10 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Terry - can you please expound on the twin plate vs single plate clutch? I presume this not to be confused with dual clutch of the California and the 458.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Vafa- The 599, and even some early models of the 348, have clutches with two dry clutch friction disks, one that contacts the flywheel, and one that contacts the other dry plate. In theory, this can lead to longer clutch disk life. Very true for the 599, not for the 348, apparently.

Dual clutch transmissions are a completely different ball of wax with two completely separate wet clutch packs that are filled with fluid. This allows the next sequential gear to be preselected for upshifts or downshifts, with lightning shifts then possible. The ultimate extension of the old Wilson pre-selector gearboxes of English sports cars around the WW-II timeframe.

Because of this preselection, on some shifts the dry plate F1 shifters are actually faster shifting if the sequence of shifts is broken. For 1-2-3-4-3 shifts, the last shift may be slower than that seen on a late F1 system.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Very elegant 612. Good call getting all the niggles sorted early in the year.

You do have a great pair now.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Simply beautiful! Congrats!

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode