Special tools for 599 Shock & CCM Brake change? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Special tools for 599 Shock & CCM Brake change?

Hi guys. I've just had my 2008 599gtb serviced at an authorised dealer who have informed me I need 4x new CCM brakes and 4x new shock absorbers. Bad luck!

The quote was pretty expensive as you can imagine, so I'm taking a risk and asking a friend (trained mechanic) to do the work whilst I source the parts (which I have found at a far more reasonable price than the dealers, naturally).

Before I invest, I cannot seem to find any information as to whether special Ferrari-only tools are required to remove and replace the parts, as opposed to standard tools. Will he require any non-standard tools that are Ferrari specific?

Work required includes CCM disc replacement, 4x shock absorbers, upper wishbone lever and front under-tray.

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
The odds of four shocks going out at the same time on a 599 are virtually nil, unless she was dropped from 6' or so.

Do they say you need new brake pads or new rotors and brake pads? Changing them yourself is not a big deal, but they then need to have the instrument panel chip with the brake life data reset using an SD3 diagnostic tool.

Seriously consider getting another opinion from another dealer. Cannot believe all four shocks need replacing.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Terry! Well, apparently one of the rear shocks have gone and they recommend changing both. The front 2 are also leaking apparently...

They said I needed new disc (CCM) on all 4 wheels as they're 104% worn (which is annoying for a car that's only covered 27k).

If I do the work myself, would a dealer be obliged to reset the data for the brakes (so the light on the dash switches off)?

post #4 of 7 Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

If you do the swap you should be able to find someone to do the reset with an SD3. Consider using Mov'It CER ceramic rotors instead of the OEM Brembos if Mov'It makes them for the 599. They cost about the same, but will never wear out.

Leaking shocks at 27,000 miles? Very unusual.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Taz, I will look into it now!

I will also DEFINITELY get a second opinion. I'd like to think that the servicing centre would be honest as they are very respectable in the UK, but you never know for sure... and they could have made a mistake perhaps.

Would the car need such work done (3 out of 4 shocks and all 4 ceramics with new under-tray) if it'd been tracked in its previous life for example?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Tracking the car will definitely wear out the CCM rotors, but should not really affect the shocks that badly.

One of the pros might want to chime in on the shocks.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Depends on how much time the car spends on the rumble strips I imagine. Whether the dealer will turn the light out will depend on the relationship you have with them. If they develop a chip on their shoulder because of the lost revenue, you could be on your own.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode