456 : CAT Replacement - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
456 : CAT Replacement

Place Holder -- stay tuned.

Currently replacing my CATs, both left and right with non-OEM and 'better' capacity aftermarket ones.

Created a jig, to hold both left and right for TIG welding and will be displaying the photo process, abeit, limited shots of the process. Not a step by step.

Also will supply the mfgr, price, part number and before/after shots of the project. Looks OEM after done. BRIAN had given me my old, Right side CAT after replacing that about four [?] years ago and that was used to make the prototype and process practice runs.

PRICE:

- OEM IF found over $5,000/side for parts although 456-M can be used if welding out the extra sensor plug, still VERY expensive. Labor probably greater than $3,000 to take out, source, and replace. Not a very fun job. Price is more like tens of thousands and probably using used OEM at that!!

- After market with jig, etc. : Thousands less.

I realize many techs will NOT be a fan of this and would steer away for legal, ethical and other reasons, but if it passes SMOG and looks original on casual inspection, then I have no choice but to do as the car doesn't warrant the expensive OEM-CAT replacement. I plan on keeping this car, driving it into the ground, but will bandage it up till then. I wouldn't sell this car as OEM or qualified for obvious reasons.

Lastly, a shameless plug for other 456 owners who want to travel my road with the 'CAT-Person' I am using who would do the same for them. This may be a huge feature for you also.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 11-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Rik- Sounds like the smart way to go to me.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Rik- Sounds like the smart way to go to me.
Thanks. Love the support. As a logic reasoning all paths in money and timing led me here: no other option.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I recently replaced a 456M cat and it was $9100 for the part alone.

Rik, you have an OBD1 car. There are many aftermarket cats that can be legally installed in an OBD1 car. You just have to look in a catalog.

Its only the OBD2 cars that are a problem and any licensed shop would be crazy to install a non approved cat in one of those. Under the current microscope is is the fast way to be out of business with a very large fine and possible criminal penalties.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I recently replaced a 456M cat and it was $9100 for the part alone.

Rik, you have an OBD1 car. There are many aftermarket cats that can be legally installed in an OBD1 car. You just have to look in a catalog.

Its only the OBD2 cars that are a problem and any licensed shop would be crazy to install a non approved cat in one of those. Under the current microscope is is the fast way to be out of business with a very large fine and possible criminal penalties.
Thanks for the input Brian. I know we have discussed this before. I was unaware of the 1 vs 2 scenario. Nice to know my RADAR-IFF ping return is making me friend, not foe here to the Feds: Although, I know these cars will be in for a sorry surprise in CA when new laws I hear go into effect....someday. Glad I kept the old CAT body from a few years ago. Sorry I thew out one of the exhaust manifolds you gave me. Tried cutting it open, but after a couple years, just too hard to cut it open with my limited Harbor Freight 'expert' Tools

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #6 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Thanks for the input Brian. I know we have discussed this before. I was unaware of the 1 vs 2 scenario. Nice to know my RADAR-IFF ping return is making me friend, not foe here to the Feds: Although, I know these cars will be in for a sorry surprise in CA when new laws I hear go into effect....someday. Glad I kept the old CAT body from a few years ago. Sorry I thew out one of the exhaust manifolds you gave me. Tried cutting it open, but after a couple years, just too hard to cut it open with my limited Harbor Freight 'expert' Tools

Its not Federal law you are concerned with. They don't much care what you do. It is California law and the changes you speak of are already in effect, it is just that the scrutiny is being turned up a great deal. Jerry Brown needs money and you are the source.

Fines and fees are an integral part of his plan to keep the giveaways and government largess funded.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
hello guys,
Unfortunately, all the world are the same place, as they say in Italy.
Ask your politic because they do not put the catalysts to the aircraft that consume a lot more of our cars ....

good luck.

Fabio

Present: 550 rosso corsa , MB 350 CGI
Past: clk 240

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode