Headlight cover removal - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Headlight cover removal

Good day,
Are there any surprises in removing the headlight covers from my 575, don't have manual yet and want to detail inside of the headlight assembly.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
You can download the manual From the Downloads section at All Ferraris

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #3 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
David, I presume you mean the headlight unit. If it is like the one on my 550 there are no great surprises. There are four bolts and the elecrtical connections to undo. The most difficult job is getting the rubber seal to sit properly btween the headlight unit and the bodywork, when you reassemble.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello

post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David575M View Post
Good day,
Are there any surprises in removing the headlight covers from my 575, don't have manual yet and want to detail inside of the headlight assembly.
Thanks
David, I think what you are trying to do is remove the lens cover from the headlight assembly. Don't believe the workshop manual is going to help here. Suggest you search the 360/430 part of this forum for some thoughts and perhaps also search the internet. From what I've read it involves heating the assembly in an oven to soften the glue and pry the lens off. Too much heat though and you're replacing the HL assembly. It can be done. I have a link somewhere for a Ferrari tech in California who has been referred for this job. Believe pricing for this service of removing/replacing lens was in area of $400 per assembly.
Send a PM if you would like the link.
Should you do this procedure, please let us know how it goes.
Bill
FL
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Bill- The workshop manual actually says you can separate the headlight lens on the 575M and replace it, although I have never seen a replacement lens in the parts catalog.

There is no 575M WSM on the ferraridatabase.com site and the best source for one is Daniel at Ricambi. ~$125 and the most complete one I have seen and well worth the price.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Bill- The workshop manual actually says you can separate the headlight lens on the 575M and replace it, although I have never seen a replacement lens in the parts catalog.

There is no 575M WSM on the ferraridatabase.com site and the best source for one is Daniel at Ricambi. ~$125 and the most complete one I have seen and well worth the price.
Thanks Taz.
Bill
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

David- Here is a sample to show you why you need this manual.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Headlight Cover removal

David,
I have been looking, unsuccesfully, for the plexiglass headlight covers only, mine have cosmetic only damage and can only find the entire headlight assemblies, too expensive. Any help with this is appreciated.

Longhornlarry

1998 Maranello 550 8K miles
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Welcome to Ferrari Life. As mentioned above, there are no separate covers available, even though Ferrari originally designed the covers to be removable. They never put them in the parts supply chain. Remove the lens and polish it on both sides and it should clean up nicely unless it has a crack.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Owner

Just to add a little to this thread. Be aware that at a certain point in the lens polishing process you will break through a protective skin coat, identified by visual rings around the polished area. At this point all of the skin coat will need to be sanded away and then reapplied. A 2011 post I made on another forum copied below is relative to this.
There are paint shops around that are familiar with this process and may be worth a check in your area.

"For a little background, it's been learned on this forum that our headlights can only be polished out so far before breaking through a protective skin coat. So for stone nicks or scratches more than a polishing kit is needed.

The actual process involves sanding out any flaws in the headlight covers and recoating them with a very thin epoxy based clear. Essentially replacing the original skin coat. Once the final coat is cured it is then finely sanded smooth much like the regular clear coat on your car and then polished. Done correctly you cannot tell it has ever been touched. There is some labor time involved and it's not going to be done correctly for a hundred dollars. For those that do it yourself and are interested, there is a headlight kit available through body shop supply stores called, "Permanent Headlight Rejuvenation Kit" by Sure Seal. This kit includes the two part epoxy, sand paper and directions. Should anyone have further interest in this process, feel free to send a PM.
Note that I am not selling anything here, can simply comment on the process."
Bill
Fla
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode